The Replacements Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

I hear ya. I bought that Born to Run reissue with the DVD's when it came out. I think I prefer the sound of the previous issue though. Unfortunately a lot of these new re-masters are just compressed so they can be mixed louder, which usually sucks out the subtleties and life out of the music.

p.s. I don't know if you have it, but there's a pretty cool 4-disc bootleg collection called "The Replacements - Sessions Anthology 1980-1991." Lots of good outtakes, demos and unreleased stuff on it. I have a feeling that a lot of this stuff won't ever see the light of day.

Where is this anthology avaialble at?

Also for those wondering, there is an insert in the Replacements re-issues touting ringtones and the whole re-issue series. At the bottom of the insert it mentions that Tim, Pleased to meet me, Don't Tell a soul and All shook down would be available in re-mastered, delue re-issue format soon. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
Great interview with Westerberg in Pitchfork:

Westy - Pitchfork

Interesting:

Pitchfork: Do the Replacements make you any money?

PW: A little bit. They asked me if they could use "Can't Hardly Wait" for a Toyota commercial. I sort of hemmed and hawed, because basically they don't have to ask my permission. They own the mechanicals, and they own half of the publishing, so if I say no they can do it anyway. That kind of stuff will generate a little income for me, the writer. The records have actually picked up in the last ten years, as far as sales go, so for as much as we put into them we're certainly getting it back. We never made any money on tour. None of us came out of the school of economics. We took it for granted that a rock and roll band gets ripped off. We've tried to shake that tree a couple of times, but what can we do? We never signed a contract with Twin/Tone. That haunts us this day. We were 19, 20-- Bob and I, the oldest and the smartest, we didn't know anything about contracts and shit like that. You look back, when you're sort of idle in your middle years, and think, we should have made some money.

• 1 month later...
More Replacements Reissues, Westerberg Download Due

The Replacements

Related Links:

The Billboard Q&A: The Replacements' Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson

July 17, 2008 , 3:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As expected, Rhino will on Sept. 23 release expanded reissues of the Replacements' final four albums for Sire Records. Each album features a host of previously unreleased bonus tracks; the entire reissue catalog will also see digital release the same day.

The Replacements' major-label debut, 1985's "Tim," features some of the band's most enduring material, including "Bastards of Young," "Kiss Me on the Buss," "Left of the Dial" and "Waitress in the Sky."

The reissue includes alternate versions of the latter song as well as "Here Comes a Regular," a demo for "Kiss Me on the Bus" recorded with producer Tommy Ramone, and three outtakes from sessions tracked with Big Star's Alex Chilton, including both acoustic and electric versions of "Can't Hardly Wait."

The new version of 1987's "Pleased To Meet Me" includes 11 bonus tracks, seven of which are seeing the light of day for the first time. Among them are demos of "Birthday Gal," "Bundle Up" and "Valentine," plus an alternate version of "Alex Chilton."

The outtake "We Know the Night," a cover of Slade's "Gudbuy T' Jane" and a demo for "Talent Show" enrich 1989's "Don't Tell a Soul," while the Replacements' 1990 swan-song, "All Shook Down," sports eight previously unreleased demos for songs like "Torture," "Tiny Paper Plane" and "One Wink At a Time."

In April, Rhino reissued the Replacements' first three albums and an EP for hometown Minneapolis label Twin Tone. They've since sold 22,000 copies combined in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In related news, frontman Paul Westerberg is planning to release a host of new music for 49 cents via his Web site on Saturday (July 19). The artist's last solo release was 2004's "Folker."

First, I bought the reissued "Let it Be" and definitely don't regret it. I will be picking up at least some of the September releases as well - "Tim" and "Pleased.." most likely.

Also...love the idea of releasing $.49 songs on the website. He evidently has a ton of material that hasn't seen the light of day. I am definitely in need of some new material from him.

I bought all the 1st round Mats reissues and will definitely be getting all these too.

Also excited about new Westerberg songs, though at $0.49 I'm afraid it's only going to be MP3 for the time being :(. I guess I'll have to hope for a proper CD down the road.

• 1 month later...
Replacements Drummer Steve Foley Dies

August 27, 2008 , 11:40 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Steve Foley, who played drums with the Replacements at the tail end of their career, died last weekend in Minneapolis. He was 49. According to local media reports, Foley died after accidentally overdosing on prescription medication.

The 1990 selection of Foley, who played in such Minneapolis bands as Curtiss A, Wheelo and Snaps, as the substitute for original Replacements drummer Steve Foley has become the stuff of legend.

According to Jim Walsh's oral history "All Over But the Shouting," frontman Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson bumped into Foley at a local bar and procured a ride from him to an audition. In the car was a copy of the brand new Replacements album "All Shook Down," prompting Westerberg and Stinson to look at each other and then exclaim to Foley, "You're already in."

Foley then toured with the band until its final show on July 4, 1991, in Chicago's Grant Park. Afterward, he and his brother Kevin joined Stinson's band Bash & Pop. Of late, he was working as a car salesman in Minneapolis.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A48990

Remembering the 'Mats

Jim Dickinson on a made-in-Memphis classic, the Replacements' Pleased To Meet Me.

BY CHRIS HERRINGTON | SEPTEMBER 18, 2008

Roughly 22 years ago, local producer Jim Dickinson holed up in Ardent Studios with a trio of notorious rock-and-roll troublemakers

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A48990

Remembering the 'Mats

Jim Dickinson on a made-in-Memphis classic, the Replacements' Pleased To Meet Me.

BY CHRIS HERRINGTON | SEPTEMBER 18, 2008

Thanks for posting. I love Pleased to Meet Me. It was the 1st Replacements album that was released AFTER I had become a fan.

There's a linear, melodic thing on the Replacements' earlier records. That is Bob. That's nowhere on my record. That's my regret. That and the fact that [Westerberg] didn't give me an anthem. There's no "Bastards of Young." I got some real good songs, but I got no anthem.

i don't know if it's an anthem or not, but he did get 'alex chilton'...what i'd argue to be not only one of the greatest mats tunes, but rock'n'roll tunes in general.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't collect Replacements shows, so I don't know if this is a rare find, or something everyone has, but I just noticed this show up at dime a dozen:

Link

Well with all the Replacements shows popping up i decided to dig into my collection..

Enjoy!!

The Replacements

Live at Al's Bar

Los Angeles, CA

April 23, 1985

Disc 1

Color Me Impressed

Raised in the CIty

My Town

Favorite Thing

Kiss Me on the Bus

Can't Hardly Wait

Sixteen Blue

Take Me Down to the Hospital

Hitchin' a Ride

Love Ya til Friday

Unsatisfied

Gene Jeanie

I'm in Trouble

I will Dare

Disc 2

Kick Your Door Down

Baby Strange

Black Diamond

Yeah Yeah

Help Me Rhonda

Little GTO

Sugar Sugar

Rattlesnake Blues

Let it Bleed

Tommy Gets his Tonsils Out

Amen

Kumbaya

Gary's Got a Boner

There are actually quite a few Replacements shows being seeded there right now.

Westerberg, Stinson 'Mess Around' In Minneapolis

October 06, 2008 , 3:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Giving fans further hope for some kind of Replacements reunion, group principals Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson joined forces last month to "mess around" in Minneapolis with Soul Asylum/Prince drummer Michael Bland.

Stinson told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that the trio didn't roll any tape, because "that's getting to first base. We're sort of still in the dugout chewing gum." But he assured that he and Westerberg are "good friends, and I'm sure we're going to work together again."

Westerberg's manager, Darren Hill, confirmed the sessions to Billboard but added there are "no plans beyond that right now."

The Replacements, who split in 1991, have been back in the spotlight this year as Rhino has rolled out expanded reissues of the band's complete studio catalog. The second and final batch, covering the band's major-label years with Sire, was released Sept. 23.

After years apart, Westerberg and Stinson hit the studio in 2006 to record two new songs for a Replacements retrospective and additional material for the animated film "Open Season."

In separate interviews with Billboard earlier this year, both men said the door isn't closed for some kind of project between them, although they added that Replacements drummer Chris Mars was unlikely to participate, owing to his thriving post-Replacements career as an artist.

Westerberg and Stinson have been tempted by numerous lucrative offers to reunite for festivals such as the 2008 Coachella, but "at the last minute, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we didn't do it," Stinson said. "But I think Paul and I have something to offer each other still. I think that's pretty obvious when we get together."

"I'm very hesitant about dragging the name out there and what damage we could do to the legend," Westerberg said. "Whatever we did, someone would want something else. If I went up there straight, they'd want us wasted. If we were f--ked up, they'd want us to be this or that."

i tell you this, for any mats/paul/tommy fans that have never checked out that 'open season' soundtrack...pure (at time orchestral) power pop bliss. my kids only know it as the 'boog music', but they dig it as much as i do.

outside of that, the reality is they've done one off stuff together for quite some time now...if i recall correctly, tommy was in on some of paul's solo stuff. regardless, that'd be ginchy to see them do something more legit.

and the recent string of remasters have been on constant rotation. forgot how much i love the back half of their career just as much, if not more, than the earlier stuff.