The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/20/08

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that show, I'm pretty sure I don't need to see them anymore. How will they ever live up to that?

yeah i was thinking the same thing.

After that show, I'm pretty sure I don't need to see them anymore. How will they ever live up to that?

Seriously?? I think I'll be holding my breath until the next show. I've had one of the most creatively productive weeks of my life despite shortened work hours so that I could join the ranks in line and the later hours. I still can't stop smiling.

This band is unbelievable. Even after a several day road trips hearing similar set lists the band is exciting every night. Jeff thanked the audience for providing them with a nice life. Well they have seriously contributed to mine and I will do what I can to make every show I can. They just get better- and now they have tons more material to mix in. Hold on boys and girls we are in for a wild ride.

Thanks Wilco

They just keep taking it to another level. Just when I thought it was impossible for them to get better, they do. This tour will be very interesting, to say the least. It's like a whole new energy has been injected into the mix. Now you really will have no idea what they will play next, as it could be any of about 100 songs. I would be very surprised if they go "back" to the cadence of the other tours with the same 50 songs or so being mostly played.

This last night was .... well, words fail me for the most part, but FIERCE is one that I kept repeating last night, and FEARLESS is another. Its like they are flying without a net and loving every single minute of it. The drone was a real highlight, (and pretty unexpected for me TBH) -- with Glen on power drill for gods sake.

Anyway, the camaraderie in front of the Riv was just the best, as were the after parties M, T and last night with all the in and out of town peeps. Again, thanks to those that allowed me to be sick and not get there too early yet still get a good spot a couple of the days -- you know who you are! The favor will always be returned. I was just glad to have been able to pull my weight yesterday :)

Thank you Jeff and the whole crew. This was a truly memorable (momentous) experience. The afterglow from the week will last for a loooong while.

And about next year.... may I suggest May or October? :lol

Seriously??

Not really, but at this moment I can't imagine them topping that.

It will be interesting to see what they mix in on the shorter sets for the rest of the tour. Some songs will be out due to a lack of horns and Andrew Bird.

Dear Fat Dude From Superbad:

Thank you for choosing to sit in front of me last night. Your over-zealous rocking out made me think I was at a Quiet Riot show, circa 1981. The way you used your seat as a rocking chair really showed how much you can jam. As someone who has attended numerous Wilco shows, I can attest to the extent your flailing arms and finger pointing (mimicking a drummer playing the bass line) helped the band power through the performance. And the scratching of your dandruff into my beer helped take my concert experience to a new level.

When you screeched like a girl for some of the quiet numbers, it really exposed your sensitive side. And while you (literally) rocked out to the remainder of the song, I didn't mind dodging the stabbing movements of your setlist-taking pen. Your dedication to rock reporting had you not only write down the setlist in a notepad, but to also type it into your PDA. What really made that rock is how you had to lean back to reach into your pants to retrieve the PDA after each song started. If you had a mouth in the back of your neck, you could have given me oral. I would be proud to receive oral from somebody that rocks as hard as you.

Thank you, Mr. Fat Dude, for also regaling us with *real* rock fashion. Your tshirt proved to me that you are a big fan of The Hold Steady. The way it rode up your back revealing your sweaty ass crack, though, proved you're not a fan of the Hold Steady treadmills.

Despite my shin bruises, stab wounds, and blue balls, I really appreciate how hard you jam.

Thanks, again,

Walrus

I sympathize with your unpleasant concert experience, but you could be less of a prick about the guy being fat. I'm having trouble deciding which of you two would piss me off more.

Dude, it's like Chris Rock using the N word. It's okay.

No matter how offensive that letter was, I got a good laugh out of it.. :thumbup

But dude, isn't that one of the beauty's of GA shows? If you're not happy where you are in the audience, you can move? When I see Wilco live, all I can think of is Wilco.. Not sweaty fat dudes.

you can't really move at the Riv. moving means becoming one with the mass of people that have to roam in circles in the halls of the theater for the entire show because there is absolutely no place they can go to see the band. its like Muslims at Ramadan but there is no religious significance or tower that they can circle around.

you can't really move at the Riv. moving means becoming one with the mass of people that have to roam in circles in the halls of the theater for the entire show because there is absolutely no place they can go to see the band. its like Muslims at Ramadan but there is no religious significance or tower that they can circle around.

:lol ... Didn't realize it was that bad! I guess I have been spoiled by always seeing wilco in reserved seating.. Except when I saw then in 97, but there was only about 40 people there.

The best show by the best band, I swear. Everything about this show was absolutely amazing. I didn't go to Saturday or Monday...

There's your problem right there. I think Saturday and Monday were the best two nights. Last night was great and all, but after five nights, hearing the same repeats night after night was getting old, especially given the fact that there were still some Mermaid Avenue songs and B-sides that they left out. Regardless, all of the shows were definitely top notch.

Despite my shin bruises, stab wounds, and blue balls, I really appreciate how hard you jam.

So I guess in the end the fat guy you are referring to aroused you. I hope you were able to relieve the tension as soon as you got home :) I think the dandruff in your beer part is pretty disturbing! Great visual of that!

Could someone go into more detail re: John jumping off a speaker(s)?

Yeah, I'd love to hear about this! Isn't John usually kind of shy and reserved?

He may have been on dope - I saw some photos in that other thread of some older gals who looked like they were on dope - the way they were spinning around or something.

I should have started a new thread for each sentence in the article. Sorry.

The article is about Tuesday's show, so I was simply pointing out it could have been placed in the thread about Tuesday's show.

I'm praying one of the photographers captured John's leap. I didn't have my camera out, but there was plenty of warning as he climbed his way up. Pure rock n roll.

What song was it that caused such behavior? I find it hard to believe that IJTS would build such energy. No knock on the song it's just that I don't recall Neil Young ever jumping off speakers during songs like Sugar Mountain! Was it during I'm a Wheel or something?

What song was it that caused such behavior? I find it hard to believe that IJTS would build such energy. No knock on the song it's just that I don't recall Neil Young ever jumping off speakers during songs like Sugar Mountain! Was it during I'm a Wheel or something?

I think it was I'm a Wheel, but not too sure on that.