Ryman Show 3/2/08

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Pat:

I've seen him windmill! I think it was in Kansas City last fall. With all of his strutting, we refer to him as Baby Jagger. :)

Baby Jagger it is! Pat certainly has the attitude to pull that off. Imagine what he'll be like 10 years from now!

Sounds like a fan-dam-tastic show y'all got in Nashville.

Mebbe one day I'll make that pilgrimage to the Ryman as well. Can only hope that Wilco will be the reason.

cheers,

Kevin

Wow, what a great show last night. The band is on fire right now and I love the variety of songs we are getting post-Residency. After Jeff's comments about the Ryman being the best place to play, I'm holding out hope that if they do a residency next year it will be at the Ryman. :dancing

I know I should be over by now, but I still can't believe how often some people leave and return to the auditorium during shows. Can they not just sit there and enjoy the show? On the positive side, I thought the crowd was pretty respectful when Jeff was doing his sole/un-amplified version of Someone Else's Song.

Guest Jules
I know I should be over by now, but I still can't believe how often some people leave and return to the auditorium during shows. Can they not just sit there and enjoy the show?

You mean, to go to the bathroom or get a drink?

Robert Plant is rehearsing for touring with Allison Krause. I got 15 row for that one in june. Ryman is spectacular with history and I am sure each artist feels closure to Hank and some of the musicians that have walked on that stage...... I saw Emmylou with group of locals playing a benefit Guy Clark Vince Gill just amazing.......

Cant wait to hear a bootleg.

:thumbup

Outstanding show. We just got back from Nashburg.

Many great moments.

"Nice jacket, Jeff!"

"It's not a jacket, it's a suit."

Opening with VC was an interesting choice but they pulled it off. Cameras were everywhere - I was hoping there would be a DVD of that show, but a whole tour DVD would be cool too. Have there been cameras at other shows? I haven't seen anyone comment about them on here.

Just a great, great night. The Ryman is awesome.

Those guys going after the autgraphs are creepy and they are always there at the Ryman. Jeff asked them if they worked for a memorabilia dealer and the guy said no he didn't. Jeff then apologized for asking. Later I overheard the guy saying how he really wasn't lying becuase he didn't work for anybody else.

These guys bring guitar plates for them to sign and they had like 5 of them that they will put on a guitar and sell it as autographed by Wilco. What fan would do something like this.

I enjoyed meeting you all back there. I was the guy in the NY baseball hat.

Its killing me that I missed this show. Saw them the last time they played the Ryman and Jeff did "Acuff Rose" solo, acoustic, edge of the stage. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Question: Blood of the Lamb? Where does that song come from?

Guest Jules
Its killing me that I missed this show. Saw them the last time they played the Ryman and Jeff did "Acuff Rose" solo, acoustic, edge of the stage. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Question: Blood of the Lamb? Where does that song come from?

Mermaid Avenue Vol. II

You mean, to go to the bathroom or get a drink?

I didn't see them coming back with drinks, so who knows. I don't want to come off as overly critical. It just seemed way more than I normally see at a concert and in the middle of songs.

It was a great show regardless.

Those guys going after the autgraphs are creepy and they are always there at the Ryman. Jeff asked them if they worked for a memorabilia dealer and the guy said no he didn't. Jeff then apologized for asking. Later I overheard the guy saying how he really wasn't lying becuase he didn't work for anybody else.

These guys bring guitar plates for them to sign and they had like 5 of them that they will put on a guitar and sell it as autographed by Wilco. What fan would do something like this.

Blue Penners

I don't why Jeff signs that stuff.

I read somewhere once that Keith Richards took a guitar from one of those sort of dudes and smashed it.

Well, after I saw Wilco at the Ryman in '06, I figure I would probably never see a better show again. I was wrong, because just a few days short of two years later, I saw one that was slightly better. Amazing. While I enjoyed the no-amplification "Acuff Rose" in '06 a little better than "Someone Else's Song" this time, I thought the setlist was better this time. In fact, if they had played "I'm Always in Love," they would have played every Wilco song I could have wanted. The first encore was amazing -- my wife, who's not generally a fan of going to shows, remarked on how hard they rocked. The horns were a great addition -- especially for Monday. "Pieholden Suite" -- I'm still amazed. Also, I was really glad John got to sing at the Ryman, and I love that the crowd treated him so well. Jeff was right that John's voice is one that belongs there.

Oh, and for all you others VCers who were there -- ya'll were a great audience (with the exception of those who had to be policed during "Someone Else's Song"). No one passed out in front of me this time, and though there was plenty of drunken enthusiasm from those sitting in front of us, it was amusing (as opposed to obnoxious like two years ago). Actually more amusing was the group of guys who sat to our right. They all air-played various instruments for almost the entire set. It looked like they were playing "Rock Band" or were the air band from "Scubs." Anyway, it was great to see such a great show with so many people who, like me, sang along to every word of every song -- including those from A.M.

After me and Jenny got our tickets we made a b-line for the merch table. How cool are those hatch prints?

Dammit -- I missed those. I got one the last time they played the Ryman (it's now framed and is the central focus of my office), but didn't see them this time. Anyone want to post a picture?

Oh well, they'll probably sell some on WilcoWorld -- they did last time.

You know what's weird? Nobody took/ripped my wife's or my tickets when we walked in. There was nobody at the front door, and nobody at the inner doors to get into the theater, nowhere. We could have just walked in without tickets and gone right in.

:thumbup

i think i took your picture with jeff maybe? i can't remember...

Hey Sarah (and everyone else) - they have Ryman posters for sale at the WilcoWorld website store. Woo hoo!

awesome!

i love that the bat building is in the poster

unrelated- i wonder if they still have the one from 2 years ago...prob not.

awesome!

i love that the bat building is in the poster

unrelated- i wonder if they still have the one from 2 years ago...prob not.

I didn't see it on there. They have some old ones on there but I don't think they have that one.

You know what's weird? Nobody took/ripped my wife's or my tickets when we walked in. There was nobody at the front door, and nobody at the inner doors to get into the theater, nowhere. We could have just walked in without tickets and gone right in.

I thought that was weird, too, in a very sweet, trusting way. The only time anyone looked at our tickets was when we got to our section.

We stopped by Hatch Show Prints on Broadway before leaving town today. I was talking to one of the employees, mentioned how much I loved last night's print, and I got to meet the artist. :) Very sweet kid; he couldn't have been more than 21, 22 years old. I was wishing I'd left the print in my purse so he could sign it next to Jeff's autograph.

Darkstar, I let my husband spend money at Gruhn's. He bought a beautiful leather guitar strap made in Franklin. Absolutely perfect souvenir!