recommendations? although i am not a huge fan of noise etc., i do like their guitar sounds and workings from what i have heard. don't know where to begin though. i remember seeing that 100% video on mtv a long time ago. that's it.

:thumbup

Daydream Nation.

This is a great album one of my all time favorites, though possibly not their most accessible.

I would actually say one of their newer albums--Sonic Nurse would be a pretty good place to start, but maybe that's me. Daydream Nation would certainly be a great album to own. I also really like Murray Street.

thanks for the input. i am checking out their latest disc and am really digging it. i love that interplay of clean guitars a la television and of course, wilco. so we'll see how it goes. also want to check out their instrumental eps.

cheers

I have near-equal affection for Goo and Daydream Nation......though I think I may love Goo a weeee bit more. They are really the only ones I listen to any more....though I give EVOL and Sister a spin now and again.

Regarding the instrumental eps....I assume you're talking about the various SYR series?

I'd say they're not for beginners and can even test the most faithful of fans. I've been listening to SY since Daydream Nation came out (88?) and even I have a tough time with those. Not for the faint of noise...

Stick with the major major releases for now and then dig deeper if inclined. Honestly, I don't see how anyone couldn't love all SY stuff: Evol, Sister, Sonic Youth, Goo DN, etc, etc, etc....

But, that's just me.

their last 3 albums are some of their most accessible stuff, and imo, Murray Street and Rather Ripped are up there with their best stuff for the most part, so i'd say maybe check those out first, then go backwards.

Regarding the instrumental eps....I assume you're talking about the various SYR series?

I'd say they're not for beginners and can even test the most faithful of fans. I've been listening to SY since Daydream Nation came out (88?) and even I have a tough time with those. Not for the faint of noise...

Stick with the major major releases for now and then dig deeper if inclined. Honestly, I don't see how anyone couldn't love all SY stuff: Evol, Sister, Sonic Youth, Goo DN, etc, etc, etc....

But, that's just me.

me too (except I started when Sister came out). I've only seen them twice (at the Trocadero in Philly on the Goo tour and not long after that opening for Neil Young). Live, they are so powerful it's almost frightening.

Screaming Fields of Sonic Love is a pretty good sampler of the pre-Geffen years but if you really like them you'll want the full releases.

So far I have Rather Ripped and the deluxe editions of Goo and Daydream Nation. Part of me wants to rush out and buy more, but I'm enjoying taking awhile to digest them. I have no idea why it's taken me so long to get into Sonic Youth. They've been a band I've been marginally aware of for years, and one similar to a lot of things I like.

If you're not really into noise, then you might want to hold off on the EPs.

some of the stuff is melodic, but yes noisy, from what i have heard. seems a lot more intentional than a lot of the post rock i have attempted to get into over the years.

So far I have Rather Ripped and the deluxe editions of Goo and Daydream Nation. Part of me wants to rush out and buy more, but I'm enjoying taking awhile to digest them. I have no idea why it's taken me so long to get into Sonic Youth. They've been a band I've been marginally aware of for years, and one similar to a lot of things I like.

same with me. have always known about them, but never gave them a chance. i also have to pace myself with new music. just gotta get one at a time and digest it before i get into something new. it's hard though. :thumbup

I initially started listening to just Daydream Nation, but I felt I didn't really know the band - so I basically listened to their discography, in order. Like Wilco, I think its incredible to listen to how they developed throughout the years.

Confusion Is Sex, Evol, and Sister are my favorite Sonic Youth records, followed closely by Daydream Nation and Murray Street. Sonic Nurse is up there as well. However, I'm not a big fan of their post-Daydream - pre-Murray stuff, like Dirty, Goo, etc. I am a fan of noise-rock, so this is understandable, as those albums were more straight edge rock as opposed to the abrasiveness of their earlier work.

If you're not into experimental/noise, but are still interested in their sound, Rather Ripped and Murray Street both have a great clean sound.

If you're not into experimental/noise, but are still interested in their sound, Rather Ripped and Murray Street both have a great clean sound.

Rather Ripped was engineered by TJ Doherty who did Sky Blue Sky, Born Again in the USA, and the new Malkmus. His guitar sounds just sing! Not to discredit the musicians at all, but he does the nicest job out there on cleaner sounding guitars, IMO.