• 2 weeks later...
What's the name of this album?

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. The Johnny Cash Children's Album Real creative title!

That would be the one. :)

I'm interested in checking out "Mom Says No!" by Asylum Street Spankers. They get on my nerves as an adult band, but they might be able to pull off some great kids stuff.

My daughter listened to bits of Woody Guthrie's "Songs to Grow on for Mother and Child", and lost her mind. She really loved it, so it's on our short list of stuff to get.

We took her to see an in-store performance by the Bottle Rockets today, which had a huge turn-out of hipster parents. It was a lot of fun, and all the kids seemed to have a blast. I hadn't thought of taking her to in-stores before this, but I'll definitely do it again. It's a great way to get kids exposed to live music outside the club/concert venue atmosphere.

I don't have kids but I do enjoy Medeski Martin and Woods "Let's Go Everywhere" kids album! Good intro to Jazz for the youngsters! :thumbup

A friend of mine (from jersey as well) was telling me how good this was.

I would recommend the garica/grisman as well.

Bloodshot Records has some great stuff for kids.

078-sm.jpg

Red, Red Robin (Rosie Flores)

Senor El Gato (Kelly Hogan)

Hinky Dinky Dee (One Riot One Ranger)

Sad and Dreamy (The Big 1-0) (Alejandro Escovedo)

Godfrey (Robbie Fulks)

Camptown Races [instrumental] (Jon Rauhouse)

Down in the Arkansas (Jim and Jennie & the Pinetops)

Snowball (The Handsome Family)

Don't Wipe Your Face on Your Shirt (Cornell Hurd Band)

On Top of Spaghetti (Jane Baxter Miller)

I Am My Own Grandpa (Asylum Street Spankers)

It's Not Easy Being Green (Rex Hobart & the Misery Boys)

Cartoon Chicken [instrumental] (Jon Rauhouse)

The Three Billy Goats Gruff (Carolyn Mark)

Three Little Fishes (Jon Rauhouse & Andy Hopkins)

Crazy Dazy (Chris Ligon)

The Weasel, The Bean, The Frog & the Dog (Split Lip Rayfield)

The Fox (Waco Brothers)

Cheese, Peas, Pickles & Bananas (Nora O'Connor & Steve Frisbie)

Funky Butt (Devil in a Woodpile)

The Crawdad Song (The Meat Purveyors)

Down on the Farm (Kim Lenz)

Little Red Riding Hood (Freakwater)

Rubber Duckie (Kelly Hogan)

Lullaby (Trailer Bride)

Do your twins watch "Jack's Big Music Show" on Noggin?

I've always LOVED watching Jack's Big Music Show with my nieces, but it became cemented as a favorite with the episode that featured Andrew Bird... :wub

My nieces and nephews love the aforementioned Justin Roberts and Laurie Berkner, but as for more "adult" music, I've found they also love The Beatles, Guster and The Boy Least Likely To.

My boys particularly love:

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" - Ian Dury

But try to avoid "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll"

I've always LOVED watching Jack's Big Music Show with my nieces, but it became cemented as a favorite with the episode that featured Andrew Bird... :wub

Between that and the Jon Stewart Groundhog Day episode, I will always love Jack. :) The Cheryl Hines-as-Dogwasher-Sudsy-Bubblestein cracks me up, because it always makes me think of this (which is really, really NSFW or kids!).

I saw Andrew Bird in concert right after his episode aired. Every hipster mom in town was there, swooning and yelling for "Dr. Stringz".

Speaking of Jack's Big Music Show, my daughter loves the episode with the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players. I keep meaning to introduce her to more of their stuff.

Do your twins watch "Jack's Big Music Show" on Noggin? They feature some pretty good stuff, and I think they've released a CD.

As for adult stuff, my daughter likes a lot of Wilco's more upbeat stuff. She's recently figured out how to sing most of "Heavy Metal Drummer", which is going to get her booted out of her church-sponsored daycare.

We are fans of Jack's. Haven't watched it for awhile. We'll have to throw it back on the Tivo season pass.

I'm a little cautious about playing music with drug references, but I've played them to Wilco songs on my guitar and changed the lyrics. "Playing Kiss covers beautiful at home". Misunderstood, "the candy bars taste so good". "Handshake Hugs" instead of drugs, but then I realized buying handshake hugs downtown probably just as troublesome.

• 2 months later...

I made my kids a mix CD today:

1. Rollerskate Skinny - Old 97's (my daughter's song, I hope she doesn't develop an eating disorder)

2. King of All of the World - Old 97's (my son's song)

3. Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles (that song from Bee Movie)

4. Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder

5. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Paul Simon

6. Sugar Magnolia - Grateful Dead

7. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley

8. Do It Again - Steely Dan

9. Can You Picture That? - Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem (Wilco should cover!)

10. Meet Me in the Meadow - Paul Westerberg (Open Season Soundtrack)

11. This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads

12. It's the Nighttime - Josh Rouse

13. See a Little Light - Bob Mould

14. Radio Radio - Elvis Costello

15. Everyday - Buddy Holly

16. Domino - Van Morrison

17. Henry My Son - Pete Seeger (my son's name is Henry, so also his song)

18. Good Day Sunshine - Beatles

19. Rainbow Connection - Willie Nelson

20. Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles

21. Candy Floss - Wilco

22. Love is the Seventh Wave - Sting

23. Pay Me My Money Down - Dan Zanes

Already working on the next volume,

Kooks - David Bowie

Waiting on a Rainy Day - Jayhawks

Help! - The Beatles

• 8 months later...

I have a new nephew named James. He's a little over 24 hours old now and I'm putting a mix together for him. Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" is so perfect for the occasion, I'm tempted to just loop it over ten times and make a cd out of that! However, I'm trying to come up with some other stuff that will flow in the same vein. I've got Eef's "Little Red Dot" and Will Oldham's cover of "Just to See You Smile" as other sure bets. I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm thinking maybe some softer Beatles and Elizabeth Mitchell would fit in there. I'm also looking at Basia Bulat's "Oh My Darling." Anyone have any suggestions for more soft music for my brand new beloved? :wub It seems there was a thread for just this sort of thing recently, but I didn't find it.

• 3 weeks later...

My nephew started out liking Jack Johnson and Amy MacDonald when he was 12 months.

At the age of two he progressed onto, and still likes, AC/DC - he could sing the all the words to Back In Black at that age.

He's now three, and his latest achievement, of which I champion, is to shout, "Turn that crazy music off, Grandad!!!" when said grandad is playing Battles.

My next mission is to get him singing Brothersport before he turns four. I have four months to achieve this.

• 1 year later...

I want to plug the new Justin Roberts CD, Jungle Gym. Des Moines native now based out of Chicago. I believe his songwriting gets better with each album. Lots of great melodies and words that both kids and parents will appreciate.

The video below is a good example of his great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpHAbuEQac

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Yo Gabba Gabba soundtrack as well as the show. The album has songs from the Roots, Of Montreal, Mark Kozolek, Shins, Biz Markie, Chromeo, and others. That show is crazy. Other than that, you can't go wrong with Dan Zanes who puts on one heck of a live show as well. My 6 and 4 yr old both like Avett Bros, Jenny Owens Young, Wilco A.M and Wilco (the song), She and Him, M Ward, Willie Nelson and a little Doc Watson so far. The first line of Shotgun Willie crack the little ones up every time. Also check out Jerry Garcia and David Grisman's Not for Kids Only. There's some fine picking and you'll like it too. I've successfully avoided the Wiggles and Raffi so far thank god.