• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanging out with a buddy over the weekend, looking thru his albums and came across Black Sabbath's "Born Again". Lots of people detest this album, but I always liked it primarily because Ian Gillan is singing and the album cover is so over the top bad that its actually pretty cool. Anyhow, my buddy hates this album so now it graces the top shelf in my living room.

The only time I saw Black Sabbath was on this tour. Not the one to see if you only saw them once.....

The only time I saw Black Sabbath was on this tour. Not the one to see if you only saw them once.....

At least it was unique...I have a a few boots and listen to them from time to time. Too bad Ward was not on the Born Again tour.

Hey Inside, did you see the dwarf fall off "Stonehenge" at the beginning of the show? And if so, what was your (and the crowds) reaction?

Hey Inside, did you see the dwarf fall off "Stonehenge" at the beginning of the show? And if so, what was your (and the crowds) reaction?

I remember about zero from the show, other than Ian Gillian playing the bongos (really weird given, well, given that it was a Black Sabbath show) and that they played the hits. I saw Ozzy with Motley Crew as the opener about the same time - those two shows meld together in my brain. Both had to be the inspiration for Spinal Tap, though I believe they were about concurrent with the movie.

Ian started playing those drums during the Deep Purple long instrumental jams. I guess he wanted something to do. Interesting thing about him - he does not use vocal monitors. 

That makes sense -- he was all over the stage this past summer -- he would leave the stage during a solo or something and start singing off stage at times -- he sounded great, though.

Also my friends saw that Ozzy/Crue tour -- my mom would let me go, though...

the remaster of "and justice for all" is a sledgehammer to the brain. i mean that in the best possible way.  :headbonk

I don't really listen to such things these days - but Harvester of Sorrow is one of my favorite Metallica songs.

That makes sense -- he was all over the stage this past summer -- he would leave the stage during a solo or something and start singing off stage at times -- he sounded great, though.

Also my friends saw that Ozzy/Crue tour -- my mom would let me go, though...

I've read various things about the current DP tour. At least he is not singing along with tapes. 

I guess some of the older singers are thinking since the younger ones are being helped on stage, why not them. But I agree - not a fan of backing tracks or enhancements of voices. 

At the end of the day, I am guessing you and I are probably in the minority in our thoughts on 'onstage singing', though.

I think someone on this board said that Mick Fleetwood had a hidden drummer, too.

I seem to remember reading about Priest developing some drum device to enhance the sound their live drum sound. I could be completely wrong, though

The drums did sound pretty great this summer - definitely one of the highlights of their sound that night.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
list of birds name-checked in heavy-metal songs, according to a delightfully detailed linguistic analysis in the humourous (but not peer-reviewed) Journal

of Geek Studies.

list of birds name-checked in heavy-metal songs, according to a delightfully detailed linguistic analysis in the humourous (but not peer-reviewed) Journal
of Geek Studies.

thanks for this!

they didn't name any bands so here are two from friends of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLsCBU6DZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ygtu_Zvtk

hmmm... can you only post one vid? 

• 3 weeks later...

hey, knock yourself out and create whatever threads you like. kinda weird first post, though - i admire your passion for genres.

in other metal news, one of the most original bands in the genre are doing their first US tour, so if Oranssi Pazuzu hits your town, and you like a weird pastiche of black metal and space rock, check 'em out. i've never seen a metal band w/ two keyboard players and guitarists who use a Tele and a Strat.

p3654105330-5.jpg

• 1 year later...

My local used record store/vintage furniture store have been celebrating their 2 year anniversary the last two weekends.

Couldn't believe that a month or so I bought a record player, an actual record store opened up within a 5 minute walk from house. 

Some of my favorite purchase has been buying old Judas Priest records that I only had on cassette when I was kid.

Yesterday I bought Hell Bent For Leather - never owned this one.  

Don't think I ever heard "Evening Star" before --- a great bridge tune --- a mix of old school and what they will become.

"Take on the World" ---- I would have been fine if I never heard this one. Yikes.

Drums sound kinda of good, at least.

Their version of " The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Headed Crown) is great --- I am so used the the Unleashed version -- the studio version was definitely recorded nicely. What a great decision to do cover of his tune. Wonder who came up with that idea?

Kick ass recored cover, to boot.

image.png

Hell Bent wasn't the first Judas Priest record I bought, but it quickly became my favorite record of theirs when i bought the cassette many moons ago during a summer vacation. It's still my go to JP record, probably because it is the most eclectic release in their catalog.

SIn after Sin, Sad Wings, Unleashed, and Stained Glass are my favorites --- still haven't gotten Sin after Sin on vinyl, yet.

I did pick up a copy of Priest, Live ----- always had soft spot for that record - the last one (on cassette) I purchased of theirs, before my musical taste changed (damn Grateful Dead).