I wonder how Matt Pike decides whether to do a Sleep tour or a High on Fire tour.  I think High on Fire is recording a new album.

it's not just Pike that makes that decision.... Al has to juggle OM, and Jason's got Neurosis' schedule. here's a recent post from their facebook page:

Q: While you're headed to (insert name of town here) can you stop by (insert name of town half way around the world from the other town)??

A: Probably not. Actually no. While we would LOVE to visit every imaginable decent venue, pretty much anywhere, it's actually kind of a galactic miracle that we can do any gigs at all. Sleep, (if you didn't know) is comprised of members of High on Fire, Om and Neurosis. Touring schedules, life schedules, family schedules, distance, venue availability, crew availability, etc etc all have to align in just the right way to make it happen. This takes months and often a YEAR or more to pull together each gig. So yeah...sorry for not dropping by at the last minute.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Iron Maiden album - September 4th: 

I am curious to hear the 18 minute track. 

The Book of Souls

Disc 1
1. If Eternity Should Fail (Dickinson) 8:28
2. Speed Of Light (Smith/ Dickinson) 5:01
3. The Great Unknown (Smith/ Harris) 6:37
4. The Red And The Black (Harris) 13:33
5. When The River Runs Deep (Smith/ Harris) 5:52
6. The Book Of Souls (Gers/ Harris) 10:27

Disc 2
7. Death Or Glory (Smith/ Dickinson) 5:13
8. Shadows Of The Valley (Gers/ Harris) 7:32
9. Tears Of A Clown (Smith/ Harris) 4:59
10. The Man Of Sorrows (Murray/ Harris) 6:28
11. Empire Of The Clouds (Dickinson) 18:01

• 1 month later...

Black Sabbath's, Black Sabbath just came on the radio (XM)--- I think this my favorite metal tune - it has it all.

Still remember getting the cassette when I was in grade school - I think it took me two or three trips to the record store to get it, due to the cover - it always freaked me and my friend out.

Perfect cover.

I think I have that one on vinyl, cassette, and two cd releases. The album I have is an early pressing - and Ozzy's name is spelled "Ossie" on the back cover. It's still one of my favorite Sabbath albums - the other one being Vol.4.

I for one am a fan of southern metal.. lets say it 2gether SoWThERN MeTaL. I grew up in the 80's so as a young tot I liked Gun's and Roses WAY more than Metalica. I can say that Metalica has talent, thats all. besides GNR had excellent gutar work and a girl lead singer LOL. anyway, PANTERA has been my go to metal band for as long as I remember. When I put my favorite vinyl record gift from my sister on (cowboys from hell,) all I can do is mosh, you know, jump in my own pit. My dad born in 1950 taught me the ways of Jimi and Black Sabbath. I believe they had a lot to do with the creation of this so called metal. Jimi Hendrix would crucify his instruments and Tony Iomi could draw a tone from the audience from a single string that makes some want to move instinctually in dance (hopefully not to hurt.) I was (from age 15-20) big in the thrash ,black, death metal Scene because my local bands like Madd Hatter, Forces of Nature, and AK-77 knew how to bring it.. R.I.P. in conclusion I would like to restate my like for the metal tones of bands like "sleep" and metal movies like the terrible "gumo" banned in America. Be sure to check out my friends band 4 the heck of it.  Xanex Sqaurdance. full of 30 year old metal heads that found love like I did. with music and friends. Soulja boy haymakers is the song. written by two best friends separated by death.  

I had never listend to any Sabbath album other than We Sold Our Souls until this year.  Now 40+ years after the fact i've heard the first six albums. All are pretty decent but the first second and fourth stand out for me.  

I saw Sabbath at the Rockford Speedway sometime in 80 or 81 wth BOC and Molly Hatchet.  Both Sabbath (With Dio) and Molly Hatchet (With some guy who wasnt Danny Brown) both played with subsitute singers.  The show was good, but seeing Sabbath in broad daylight was probably not the best way to see them, but at the time I took what I could get.

• 1 month later...

Think I going to buy the new Iron Maiden release today - the last release I bought of theirs was Somewhere In Time.  I was going to wait for my library system to get it in, but when I told that to my kid - he seemed genuinely bummed.

I have in-laws visiting this weekend, celebrating my niece's 21st b-day -- so the kids and I will have the house to ourselves for the most part  - what better way to spend it then blasting Iron Maiden with a 3 and 6 year old....

Best Buy did have deluxe copy --- it's similar packaging to the Faces box set - which is a bit of a bummer.

Read that people don't like Shirley's past productions - I'll give it listen tonight or tomorrow. Still kick out the Eddie images.

Yeah - that's what I paid for it. 

It made the kid's day when I showed it to him -- my mom happen to be over at my house when I got home and showed the CD to my kid - my mom didn't approve of it -- just like she really didn't approve of it when I bought Maiden when I was in grade school -- though she never did forbid it.

I had never listend to any Sabbath album other than We Sold Our Souls until this year.  Now 40+ years after the fact i've heard the first six albums. All are pretty decent but the first second and fourth stand out for me.

Definitely spend some more time with MoR, SBS and Sabotage.... They all contain some top notch tunes.

• 1 month later...

Finally going to see Iron Maiden live -- got general admission floor tickets, too - at the United Center - should be a hoot.

forgot:

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!

Edited by calvino

Finally going to see Iron Maiden live -- got general admission floor tickets, too - at the United Center - should be a hoot.

forgot:

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!

My first ever concert was Iron Maiden on their Powerslave tour.

another thing about Maiden - recently checked out below -- it had to be the worst book on music ever - cut and paste job from various interviews, at least the author cited properly. I didn't bother to read any past 7th Son. At least it took me only about a 1/2 hour.

51RizY04JAL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg