A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

see, not to drag out the argument Louie, but if you think all rap is dumb like that, i can give you plenty of examples of actual great rap lyrics :)

and as i mentioned to Mr. Heartbreak in a PM, there's a difference between Rap & Hip Hop too...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we are now doing questions -

1. If Mr. H had inserted bluegrass/metal/jambands/etc. in place of rap - would there be this much uproar? I wonder.

i'd question anyone who wrote off an entire genre of music as "not music" :thumbup

i was actually gonna post some classical music blasphemy but i thought that i would be the only one here that really enjoys classical music enough to get it.

Do tell. I am going to see the Leon Botstein Symphony Orchestra tonight. Zara-fucking-thustra! and some Sibelius and Barber (Knoxville 1915) too.

Do tell. I am going to see the Leon Botstein Symphony Orchestra tonight. Zara-fucking-thustra! and some Sibelius and Barber (Knoxville 1915) too.

Awesome! Sibelius is a favorite.

Awesome! Sibelius is a favorite.

He's pretty good. It's in a building that kind of looks like a spaceship landed in the middle of a field in Red Hook, N.Y.

Rap is just barely poetry...just because it rhymes doesn't make it poetry.....

"Ho" rhymes with alot of stuff....

There's a ho at my do(or) and it's starting to snow....

I gotta go get off the flo(or) and drink some mo(re)

I am getting kinda queezy, cause I just saw Weezie

Playing some Parcheezie with my old buddy Easy

I just really need to drop somebody on my block

Cause I'm tired of the way that guy's been treatin me today

And I'm gonna shoot that stuff cause I can barely see that muff

I lost my train of thought, but this kind of talent can't be bought

Yea, I know its simple now, since on VC they start a rowe

Cause rap is poetry, I can see now that I'm free.

I can't spell but I don't care

I'm gonna keep on writing doggeral since I lost my buddy mongeral

He's no longer under contractual and I just found out that's factual.

LouieB

Link :dj

QUOTE (mkush001 @ Apr 26 2008, 03:06 AM)

i was actually gonna post some classical music blasphemy but i thought that i would be the only one here that really enjoys classical music enough to get it.

That sounds like a great night, Knoxville 1915 is not performed enough. And for some light classical blasphemy:

Arvo P

I would argue Lupe Fiasco has made some lyrics that are very close to poetry, though naturally I don't know anything about poetry because I think it's mostly boring unless there is music behind it.

hahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

So do you only read books with pictures?

hahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

So do you only read books with pictures?

This was a stupid post.

No. I did not mention my book reading habits in that post, that post was regarding my feelings towards literature of the poetic variety. I'm not sure where you got that from, since books didn't come up, but I'm sure you have a reason.

I have a respect for poets and for poetry, as I cannot write a poem for shit, but I don't have too much more than that. As a medium of expression, I find it lacking. When there is music involved, it makes a whole lot more sense to me.

This was a stupid post.

No. I did not mention my book reading habits in that post, that post was regarding my feelings towards literature of the poetic variety. I'm not sure where you got that from, since books didn't come up, but I'm sure you have a reason.

I have a respect for poets and for poetry, as I cannot write a poem for shit, but I don't have too much more than that. As a medium of expression, I find it lacking. When there is music involved, it makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Hey, it was a joke.

The reason I laughed is because most rock musicians aren't the greatest of writers (lyrically), its much easier to make a lyric of effective with help from music thats pulling your heart strings.

The reason I laughed is because most rock musicians aren't the greatest of writers (lyrically), its much easier to make a lyric of effective with help from music thats pulling your heart strings.

And even the good lyricists aren't necessarily the best poets, they're different skills. *cough* adult head *cough*

Seriously though, chompsky I bet you have just not been exposed to much good poetry if you think the medium itself is lacking. Kinda the inverse of how people who think there is no good rap have just not been exposed to enough of it to be able to appreciate the magic there.

I fully agree, I'm not writing it off as a medium, I just find very little of what I've read to be moving, unfortunately.

That should be the closing statement to this thread.