A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

where did i ever attack you personally? is saying you're musically closeminded and ignorant (that would also be musically ignorant, i don't care about your take on other subjects here) an attack?

Yes, I think calling someone closed-minded and ignorant is a personal attack. I'm a very open-minded person, and far from ignorant.

i said there's douchebaggery going on in this thread, that's different from calling someone a douchebag. we all do or say stupid shit that could be classified as "douchebaggery" from time to time, i was attacking the actions not the person.

I stood, and stand, by all my statements, and didn't consider any of them to be douchebaggery or, as you so eloquently put it, "stupid shit." Therefore, yes, I also consider that a personal attack.

your statement about the hip hop you've been exposed to proves my thought further, is that the hip hop/rap you've been exposed to is mostly all mainstream.

Jesus, do I really have to list 50 freaking rap "artists" to make the point? Mainstream and otherwise, I've strongly disliked everything I've ever heard in this sorry genre. I do not like it. That doesn't make me closed-minded or ignorant.

honestly, if you'd just said you don't find rap to be music, i probably wouldn't have even cared, but you pulled out the "rap = crap" comment, which is one of the oldest tricks in the book and often spoken by racist people (not saying you're racist, but it's a common comment from bigots)

Yep, I was waiting for this. I guess I don't hang out with enough bigots, because I've only heard one other person say it, and he was not a bigot.

after reading your responses to Chris further down in this thread, it's clear that you pride yourself on being an asshole, so i have no problem calling a spade a spade.

Actually, I'm a very, very nice guy unless somebody starts calling me names. I am not an asshole, but if you want to call me an asshole for defending myself against totally unnecessary personal attacks, that's your prerogative. Personally, I've seen admins or moderators or whoever on this board CLOSE DOWN THREADS because people were saying stuff like what you and chomp-me have said, but I guess that won't happen here, will it? Not saying you're the one being an asshole ... maybe it's just that you like to say stupid shit and engage in douchebaggery.

At least it's nice that some of you supported me: thanks, Louie, cryptique, and TheMaker.

And now, solace, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled program of holding forth on Stetsasonic, Public Enemy, blah blah blah. I really do have other things to do.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stood, and stand, by all my statements, and didn't consider any of them to be douchebaggery or, as you so eloquently put it, "stupid shit." Therefore, yes, I also consider that a personal attack.

Except the "Replacements are boring as fuck" comment, right? ;)

see, you must have some sort of pent up anger if you took my comments personally, because in no way were attacks on you as a person. (and fwiw my initial comment was fairly tongue in cheek, as was the INITIAL douchebaggery comment long before you posted)

calling someone MUSICALLY closed minded or ingorant isn't attacking the person, it's attacking their thoughts on music. i'm sure you love various types of music, but i still say dismissing an entire genre altogether on the basis of only a handful of acts would constitute as a bit close-minded, maybe not as much as say some 75 year old white grandma who thinks anything released after Elvis (aka: the Devil) isn't music, but still. if i said you were a straight up close-minded and ignorant person, then you're right, then i would be attacking you personally, but i didn't. there's plenty of types of genre's that i don't really get or find any musical appeal about, but i'd never say it's not music.

and if you look at your above comment, by no means was i saying you were a bigot, just that the rap=crap is a common phrase i've heard out of bigoted people i know, both in person and online, do you want to be associated with those folks? i'd imagine not.

as for "do i have to mention 50 artists", no, but you mentioned Vanilla Ice, someone who most folks would consider a pop act and hardly a "rapper" whatsoever.

there's a lot easier and more respectful ways to say you don't like rap (or ANY type of music for that matter) or find really any redeeming qualities of it than that, does asking for a bit more original thought out of someone make me an asshole? if so, sorry.

I don't have any pent-up anger, you ninny. Here's the spirit of the whole darn thread, starting from page 1

Led Zeppelin never wrote a good song

The Doors are the worst band in the history of popular music

Van Morrison sounds like a choking badger.

I think Pavement sucks

The Decemberists kind of suck.

Jimi Hendrix was a wanker

Panda Bear is boring

So, when I do the exact same thing on p.17 or whatever, except that I mention rap, I'm suddenly called upon to deliver a critical exegesis? What the hell? Why do all the other people get a pass?

calling someone MUSICALLY closed minded or ingorant isn't attacking the person, it's attacking their thoughts on music. if i said you were a straight up close-minded and ignorant person, then you're right, then i would be attacking you personally, but i didn't.

Thanks for the clarification. Ever consider politics as a career? Your ability to finely parse meanings and intentions would serve well.

By the way, I wish the Replacements did something for me, but they don't. Still, compared to rappers, they are geniuses.

God, I've let this waste way too much of my time today. Please have the last word, as I do not want it.

but you really don't have his back if you say you at least enjoyed Public Enemy or any sort of rap throughout musical history. his statement was that ANY and ALL rap music ever and in the future is without any musical merit whatsoever (i'd be curious what he'd think if he saw the Roots live) and is all "crap"

Split hairs much? Why did you even bother to respond to my post? Really, I don't get it.

Jesus. Just let it go. You've ruined this thread enough already.

I don't have any pent-up anger, you ninny. Here's the spirit of the whole darn thread, starting from page 1

So, when I do the exact same thing on p.17 or whatever, except that I mention rap, I'm suddenly called upon to deliver a critical exegesis? What the hell? Why do all the other people get a pass?

Thanks for the clarification. Ever consider politics as a career? Your ability to finely parse meanings and intentions would serve well.

By the way, I wish the Replacements did something for me, but they don't. Still, compared to rappers, they are geniuses.

God, I've let this waste way too much of my time today. Please have the last word, as I do not want it.

well fine, i'll have the "last word" i guess, but if you can't see the difference between saying one SINGULAR artist sucks and an entire genre of music (genres are pretty stupid anyway, there's SOOO many different types/kinds of rap/hip hop these days), then i guess i can't help you...

it has nothing to do with rap really, that's just the genre you chose to write off entirely in your statement.

you should meet my friend Stef... he's a rapper, he got is start in a punk band and plays guitar quite well, i'd love for you to tell him to his face that his rapping has zero musical merit whatsoever, i'd pay a lot of $$ for that.

Split hairs much? Why did you even bother to respond to my post? Really, I don't get it.

Jesus. Just let it go. You've ruined this thread enough already.

i responded to your post because you said you agreed with him, yet you like or have liked some hip hop in the past, so i pointed out that you obviously don't fully agree with him, that's all, no big deal.

as for ruining this thread, cry about it why don't you... oh boohoo, i'm sorry i ruined the pissing match/session/circle jerk.

i responded to your post because you said you agreed with him, yet you like or have liked some hip hop in the past, so i pointed out that you obviously don't fully agree with him, big deal.

as for ruining this thread, cry about it why don't you

Nice edit. You called me "fat ass" and then deleted it because you knew that would make you look like a total fucking prick.

Too late.

To whom do I report the board admin?

Nice edit. You called me "fat ass" and then deleted it because you knew that would make you look like a total fucking prick.

Too late.

oh i'm already a prick, it's quite obvious from this thread

Not sure why this is worth stating in any way, shape, or form.

Because I misspelled "editing" :ohwell

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Champ Kind: It jumped up a notch.

Ron Burgundy: It did, didn't it?

Brick Tamland: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.

Ron Burgundy: I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

Ron Burgundy: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

you should meet my friend Stef... he's a rapper, he got is start in a punk band and plays guitar quite well, i'd love for you to tell him to his face that his rapping has zero musical merit whatsoever, i'd pay a lot of $$ for that.

So, Stef beats up strangers who express an opinion he disagrees with?

He sounds awesome. :yucky

So, Stef beats up strangers who express an opinion he disagrees with?

He sounds awesome. :yucky

did i say that?

man people LOOVE to put words in others mouth on here...

i simply meant that i'd love to see his reaction and the ensuing debate, he couldn't be further from someone to engage in physical violence actually.

sorry to have totally derailed this thread folks, was certainly not my intention. suppose it was only a matter of time, and i'm disappointed that I was the straw that broke the camels back.

This thread is a lot more exciting and interesting than Wilco's last three albums.

did i say that?

man people LOOVE to put words in others mouth on here...

i simply meant that i'd love to see his reaction and the ensuing debate, he couldn't be further from someone to engage in physical violence actually.

Fair enough. Usually* when people say they'd pay big bucks they're referring to an action that will potentially lead to an ass kicking.

*I say that from the perspective of living in Atlanta. A very violent place.

back to thread topic...

Tin Machine is the only great album David Bowie has released since 1983.

Tin Machine 2 is the worst album anyone has released since 1883.

The Jam is overrated

Sting is more annoying that Bono