A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

Steve Miller is the worst sounding live performer ever.

Peter Gabriel is a close second, but thankfully has a great supporting cast in the studio.

Michael Stipe is the most pretentious performer ever. Perhaps the most pretentious human ever.

Billy Corgan is a close second there. TheFutureEmbrace was a disaster.

The following 3 albums fully lived up to their hype:

- The Rising

- Sea Change

- American Idiot

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Morrison sounds like a choking badger.

Bruce Springsteen only made one good LP.

:angry

Barenaked Ladies are a far better band than most people give them credit for, and they're one of the best live acts out there (they give Wilco a run for their money).

I'm surprised at all the BNL love in this thread, but I'm also loving it. They are great.

Blasphemes:

Bruce Springsteen's best album is The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle.

Paul McCartney is the greatest singles artist in rock history, and he's a pretty fantastic album artist.

Paul McCartney's last 2 CDs have been stellar. Chaos & Creation In The Backyard is the best Beatles related album since All Things Must Pass.

And the ultimate blaspheme:

I like more Bright Eyes songs and albums than Bob Dylan albums (There, happy?). I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning does as much for me as Highway 61 Revisited.

Bruce Springsteen's best album is The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle.

I think a lot of people think that, don't they? OR at least people who have heard it.

ok, my new one: Jeff Buckley is shit! and i'm not saying his father was loads better, cos that's obvious - i'm saying he's shit! how people can go on about him is beyond me. listen to the tindersticks instead (a white band with real soul, and a conciderably better understanding of music production)

Well.

Even if that album only had "Rosalita", it would be his best album. Is that blasphemous?

You folks obviously never listened to Greetings From Asbury Park, Born To Run or Darkness on The Edge of Town..Though I would rank Wild his second best!

I find a lot of 1970's and 80's English Punk rock silly and pretentious. Bunch of unemployed Art School Kids. Give me the Ramones, Dolls and Dead Boys any day of the week.

The Clash weren't the most important band in the world, just the best for about 7 years.

The key to a good band is a good drummer. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

I think Pete Townsend should have packed it in after Who's Next. Might have saved Keith Moon's life and would have saved the Band's legacy...The Who were the best band in the world until somebody told Pete that they were.

Justly deserved or not, nothing enhances an artists career and supposed influence like dying. (re: Jeff Buckley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Nick Drake)

I find John Lennon's post-Beatles career lackluster for the most part (outside Imagine and Plastic Ono Band)

Music cannot change the world. Rock stars endorsing candidates don't mean nothing. Preaching to the choir...and anyway, why does the ability to play the guitar and write a nicely constructed song give an individual some great insight into what the World needs. Political and Social activeness often leads to losing the focus on why the musician became famous in the first place (are you listening Mike Stipe?)

However, I greatly respect what Bono has done for African debt relief.

Ritchie Blackmore is twice the guitarist that Jimmy Page is and his band was heavier and better (until the second flameout).

The Guitar riff in Smoke on the Water is the best ever.

George Martin was the chief architect of the Beatles' musical masterworks...or at least he translated musical techniques, applied polish and technical know how to their mad ideas...

I'm surprised at all the BNL love in this thread, but I'm also loving it. They are great.

Blasphemes:

Bruce Springsteen's best album is The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle. As a Bruce fan of 35 years, I have no problem with that statement.

Paul McCartney is the greatest singles artist in rock history, and he's a pretty fantastic album artist. Include his compositions with the Beatles and I say 'right on brutha'.

Though I like some of their music, The Polyphonic Spree is the very definition of pretentious - imo.

polyphonic_spree_derobe.jpg

Tim ditched the robes because people were making an uncomfortable assumption.

A band with that many chicks is cool in my book.