Favorite album(s) by....

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like he wasn't plugged in?

well i've herd that rumor, but i don't know if I buy it. It does sound like its mostly Robertson on guitar though.

My favorite Dylan records constantly changes, but it often goes something like this:

Bringing It All Back Home

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the Tracks

John Wesley Harding

Highway 61 Revisited

Nashville Skyline

damn...tough choices...I'd have to go with a theree way tie :

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the Tracks

Highway 61

though if I could only take one with me to the desert island it just might be...

THE BASEMENT TAPES

New Morning, Planet Waves, Nashville Skyline, Bringing it All Back Home.

I know a lot of people don't like Self-Portrait, there are some gems on there, too.

I believe I've accumulated every Dylan record he's put out but I still have a soft spot for the real folky records.

1. John Wesley Harding

2. Bringing It Back Home

3. Blonde On Blonde

4. Blood On The Tracks

5. Nashville Skyline

6. The Freewheelin'

for me its Desire or Blood On The Tracks, then Blonde On Blonde. I like Modern Times alot too

As for Dylans early electric playing, I love those early shows with Robbie etc when he just takes a swipe at his tele maybe once or twice a verse. I'm pretty sure he is plugged in though

>calm down

i will not calm down. the trilogy that will be L&T/MT/next album will be considered alongside his best work and another artistic peak in years to come.

-justin

How young are you?! :lol The supposed 'trilogy' goes TOOM -> L&T -> MT

it most certainly does not. while some publications made it a point to fashion a trilogy from those three albums, when asked about it in the 2006 Rolling Stone interview, Bob said, if there were to be a trilogy, it would start with "Love & Theft." this only makes sense, as Bob produced L&T/MT and all of the original one-offs since "Things Have Changed" in 1998 under the pseudonym Jack Frost. also, "L&T" and MT share many, many subtle similarities that TOOM has no part of.

-justin

while some publications made it a point to fashion a trilogy from those three albums, when asked about it in the 2006 Rolling Stone interview, Bob said, if there were to be a trilogy, it would start with "Love & Theft." this only makes sense, as Bob produced L&T/MT and all of the original one-offs since "Things Have Changed" in 1998 under the pseudonym Jack Frost. also, "L&T" and MT share many, many subtle similarities that TOOM has no part of.

-justin

somewhere, and i can't quote any sources here, this is all based on vague memory, i recall bob referring to Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times as his trilogy, I believe it was when Modern Times came out. And although Jack Frost didn't produce Time Out of Mind, there are tracks on Love and Theft that are actually outtakes from Time out of Mind (Mississippi comes to mind, damn, can't remember the song names right now). following Dylan's tour circuit as well, his musical stylings to songs not on those albums shifted to be more based in the same genre as those albums after the release of Time Out of Mind and has carried through into his current live shows. Pre-Time Out of Mind concerts gave you a completely different Dylan entirely. Again, I can't quote this from any source though and since Justin references a printed source, I'll concede. I must say for the record that I do hope Modern Times is the end of the trilogy and not the 2nd because it is by far my least favorite Dylan album ever! I have seen him live more times than I can count and that last show that featured 80% Modern Times songs was awful. I don't mean to be hating on Modern Times it just really doesn't do it for me. I'd rather listen to Shot of Love over and over again. Then again when you guys read my list of favorite albums, the heckling will ensue and my whole post will be discounted.

Here's my list of favorite albums (two of which I don't think have shown up on anyone else's list, see above note):

1. Oh Mercy!

2. Planet Waves

3. Slow Train

:)

Or maybe Dylan is just messing around and calling himself Jack Frost for fun? And giving b*llshit interviews to Rolling Stone because he has been doing it for 40 years?

Trilogies? Do you guys really think he thinks like that?

my top 5:

1. blood

2. blonde

3. highway 61

4. JWH

5. Oh mercy

Or maybe Dylan is just messing around and calling himself Jack Frost for fun? And giving b*llshit interviews to Rolling Stone because he has been doing it for 40 years?

Trilogies? Do you guys really think he thinks like that?

I LIKE IT! such a good point Matt! he did masked and anonymous under the Jack Frost pseudonym as well. For me there was definitely a musical difference in the Dylan show I saw in 1996 and the next one I saw in 1998 and the 1998 musical stylings and format have carried through for the most part to the show I saw last summer. Oh that 1996 show was something else!

anyone remember that Victoria's Secret tv commercial? when that came out one of my colleagues sent me a video of dylan's press conference in the 60s when he said he would only sell out for ladies' underwear (to paraphrase).

and yeah, some more love for Oh Mercy!