Favorite album(s) by....

Highway 61 Revisited

Bringing It All Back Home

Blonde On Blonde

Blood On The Tracks (esp. Tangled Up In Blue and You're A Big Girl Now)

Time Out Of Mind

Modern Times - (esp. Nettie Moore)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wesley Harding, easily. From start to finish, a beautifully composed album. The instrumentation, the complicatedly simple lyrics, etc. Love it.

But Another Side of Bob Dylan is the album, after listening to Freewheelin', that really got me into Bob.

From the first line to the chorus of "All I Really Wanna Do", I was had.

Blood on the Tracks

Blonde on Blonde

disc 1 of '66 album -- agree with whoever said that the version of "desolation row" on there is a revelation

also i think his last-15-years work is ok / glad it's out there, but just not the same for me, sorry. maybe I am just folked up in the head.

I would never be able to decide between Blood On The Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Nashville Skyline, or Highway 61. I love all those albums dearly, with all my heart.

1) HWY 61

2) Blood on the Tracks

3) Blonde on Blonde

4)Infidels

5) The Times They Are A-Changin'

6)Bringing It All Back Home

7)Oh Mercy

8)Good As I've Been..

9)Shot Of Love

10)Love And Theft

*studio only

the lack of love here for "Love & Theft" and Modern Times is astonishing. it's making me sick.

-justin

Normally I wouldn't reply to a statement like this since everyone can have an opinion but since I'm causing you physical discomfort already I'd figured I might as well easy the pain with an explantation........

Its because Modern Times is one of the most forgettable records Dylan's ever released. Just because Rolling Stone gave it a good write up doesn't make it a classic. Sure Dylan is going to talk about the album and the shite band he is touring with, he is a businessman (see the commercials). He's just making sure you buy the next one (as if we all wouldn't anyway).....

Love and Theft was cleaver, Modern Times is mostly just plain lazy. Find one song one Modern Times comparable to anything on Brining It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisted, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, or Time Out Of Mind.

Blood on the Tracks

Highway 61

Bringing it all Back Home

The Times They Are A'Changing

Oh mercy

Under the Red Sky

daring..... :pirate

01 John Wesley Harding

02 Love And Theft

03 Desire

04 Highway 61 Revisited

05 Blood On The Tracks

then; a mention for Self Portrait too - which I play more than no. 4 and 5 on that list above, but wouldn't exactly say you could call it his best work from a creative point of view.

(I don't really like The Times They're A Changin' at all - I just never listen to it, although With God On Our Side, and a couple of the other songs are great - they're just a little heavy, and I also never listen to Planet Waves for some reason. And, as for Modern Times, it's got a few brilliant songs on it, but ultimately I think it's like Sky Blue Sky for me - none of it adds up to a particuarly engaging album; when you listen to it as a whole it is actually quite boring, but just putting on a track or two at a time is good. Which is exactly how I feel about SBS)

I forgot about Freewheelin' - that's way up there.

"Bob Dylan's Dream" has maybe my favorite Dylan lyric:

As easy it was to tell black from white,

It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.

And our choices were few and the thought never hit

That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split.

How many a year has passed and gone,

And many a gamble has been lost and won,

And many a road taken by many a friend,

And each one I've never seen again.

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain,

That we could sit simply in that room again.

Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat,

I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that.

sorry, i LOVE under the red sky!

No need to apologize! I like it too, it was just a funny list. You had some classics nobody could argue and then snuck in the controversial one at the end.

THERE HAS NOT BEEN ENOUGH LOVE FOR GOOD AS I BEEN TO YOU OR WORLD GONE WRONG THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME SICK! GAWD!

>What's your top 5?

no particular order:

1. "Love & Theft"

2. Blonde On Blonde

3. The Bootleg Series, Volume 4: Live 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert

4. Modern Times

5. Highway 61 Revisited

-justin

Well, your money is certainly where your mouth is. I recognize that this stuff is subjective, but man, if there's anything that I'd think we could baptize as fact when it comes to something subjective, it's that Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks are better albums than Modern Times. Guess not. :lol

Highway 61 revisited

B on B

Blood on the Tracks

Holy Dylan Trinity

sorry, i LOVE under the red sky!

isn't Handy Dandy the best?!!!?? I won a prize on the Dylan Fantasy pool once for being the only person to have picked Handy Dandy to be played (he didn't play it, but I got the prize anyway).

>Well, your money is certainly where your mouth is.

my user name is a line from "Spirit On The Water."

i suggest any of you interested Dylan fans read this excellent article:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/fe....html?id=178703

what's fascinating to me are the literally hundreds of quotes/references to literature, film and music of the past couple hundred years. there's something awe-inspiring to me in the way he juxtaposes those lyrics with all these antiquated phrases and the like. for example, the line with "Dark Town" in it from "Sugar Baby" has no less than three reference points.

-justin

a sample:

Besides Timrod, for instance, Modern Times taps into the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Samuel, John, and Luke, among others), Robert Johnson, Memphis Minnie, Kokomo Arnold, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, the Stanley Brothers, Merle Haggard, Hoagy Carmichael, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, and standards popularized by Jeanette MacDonald, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra, as well as vintage folk songs such as

isadorah...you used to be on the Dylanpool? we have a at least three other former members here besides myself.

yup! you can guess what my user name was, :). i scored prizes twice actually. i can't remember what the second time around was for though. i tried to find it a while back because i was in a conversation about the exact Dylan shows i'd been to and had a moment where i thought i'd forgotten one. i couldn't find the pool anymore though. guess it has gone to the wayside. it looked like expecting rain had really shifted from what it once was. after i saw Bob at the 9:30 club, my loyal devotion started slacking a bit. or maybe it was after i saw him in the parking lot of a science museum, again, my concert timeline has become quite blurry.