Favorite album(s) by....

Yep - I was PiassonDoctor there and on a couple of other Dylan sites.

I was on the pool as well, so was Froggie. I was on the Oh Shit! Not another Dylan Tribute record too.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jc4prez, what was your pool handle?

mine was Justin Brooks. i was on there since almost the beginning...posting a lot.

-justin

pretty sure it was lastwaltzer, as it was on bobdylan.com I remember your handle for sure.

I agree is amazing the way Dylan has incorporated all these sources, I just think Modern Times is extremely lazy in comparison to Love And Theft. Modern Times has a few tracks with lyrics that just make my face contort.

I just think Modern Times is extremely lazy in comparison to Love And Theft. Modern Times has a few tracks with lyrics that just make my face contort.

maybe bob's just getting old?

(age wise, not old as in, you tire of his music and catalogue it away on the shelf to collect dust)

maybe bob's just getting old?

(age wise, not old as in, you tire of his music and catalogue it away on the shelf to collect dust)

I got ya. Possibly. That track from Lucky You was even worse then anything on Modern Times. I think he still has another good album in (if not great) I just think he needs to find a new band and probably go into the studio with some other creative people.

jc4prez, what was your pool handle?

mine was Justin Brooks. i was on there since almost the beginning...posting a lot.

-justin

pretty sure it was lastwaltzer, as it was on bobdylan.com I remember your handle for sure.

I agree is amazing the way Dylan has incorporated all these sources, I just think Modern Times is extremely lazy in comparison to Love And Theft. Modern Times has a few tracks with lyrics that just make my face contort.

1. Bringing It All Back Home

2. Highway 61 Revisited

3. Freewheelin'

4. Blonde On Blonde

5. Blood On The Tracks

If he only recorded these 5 records, he would still be the best.

It's pretty close for me, between Freewheeling, Blood On the Tracks, and Nashville Skyline, but in the end...

Nashville Skyline

wins out, just for the sheer fun of it. As brilliant as all those albums are, my choice is the only one that really makes me smile outright.

I am so happy to find someone else who says Nashville Skyline is their favourite. I love it and it's country-rock goodness.

For me it's

1) Nashville Skyline

2) Blonde on Blonde

3) Freewheelin

4) The rest of his pre-electric albums in chronological order

Normally I wouldn't reply to a statement like this since everyone can have an opinion but since I'm causing you physical discomfort already I'd figured I might as well easy the pain with an explantation........

Its because Modern Times is one of the most forgettable records Dylan's ever released. Just because Rolling Stone gave it a good write up doesn't make it a classic. Sure Dylan is going to talk about the album and the shite band he is touring with, he is a businessman (see the commercials). He's just making sure you buy the next one (as if we all wouldn't anyway).....

Love and Theft was cleaver, Modern Times is mostly just plain lazy. Find one song one Modern Times comparable to anything on Brining It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisted, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, or Time Out Of Mind.

Workingman's Blues #2 is comparable to Dylan's songs on those records IMO.

You should.

I know! I could name at least 20 Dylan albums I own/love but for some reason that one's sneaked by me all this time. I'll get it soon - I've wanted it more since reading Levon Helm's book recently.

Bob Dylan

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Another Side of Bob Dylan

Bringing It All Back Home

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde on Blonde

John Wesley Harding

Nashville Skyline

Self Portrait

New Morning

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Dylan (available on cassette only still?)

Planet Waves

Blood on the Tracks

The Basement Tapes

Desire

Street Legal (don't have)

Slow Train Coming (don't have)

Saved (don't have)

Shot of Love

Infidels

Empire Burlesque (don't have)

Knocked Out Loaded (don't have)

Down in the Groove (don't have)

Oh Mercy

Under the Red Sky (don't have)

Good as I Been to You

World Gone Wrong

Time Out of Mind

Love and Theft

Modern Times

Biograph

The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3: Rare And Unreleased, 1961-1991

The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert

The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue

The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hal

The Bootleg Series Vol. 7: No Direction Home: The Soundtrack

Before the Flood (don't have)

Hard Rain

Bob Dylan at Budokan (don't have - I have the poster from the album though)

Real Live (don't have)

Dylan & The Dead

The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (have on VHS)

MTV Unplugged (don't have)

Live at the Gaslight 1962