Favorite album(s) by....

Perhaps this belongs in the blasphemy thread, but my favorite Dylan albums are:

-Postcards Of The Hanging (although the mix I made myself about 15 years ago is better, imo)

-I'm Not There OST

Yeah that's right, I like Dylan's music much better when performed by someone else.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know! I could name at least 20 Dylan albums I own/love but for some reason that one's sneaked by me all this time. I'll get it soon - I've wanted it more since reading Levon Helm's book recently.
That was @ the used records joint I go to for a few months. I passed. It's gone. I'm a moron.

I was in the same boat as you until a few weeks ago. A friend let me borrow it and I absolutely love it. I don't know why I stayed away from this one for so long. I figured it wasn't one of the staples of the Dylan catalog and was released after The Band had hit its creative peak - '74.

Blood on the Tracks

Basement Tapes (I love the Band, so this was super happymaking when I found this)

You're gonna need Planet Waves, Before the Flood, Live 1966, Self Portrait, and The Band's Rock of Ages. I can't think of anymore Dylan and the Band albums right now but that's music at it's perfection. (No Direction Home has a couple, too.)

All the usual suspects that everyone else would mention but I hold a special place in my heart for John Wesley Harding and Street Legal. The former for I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine and the latter for it being the first album I ever bought with my own money and for Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power).

The "Tough Mama" is pretty damn sweet.

He did this one live when I saw him at VA Beach, probably in '96 or '98 (pre-time out of mind). quite fun to hear live, my favorite on that album. except he didn't get have the lyrics right live.

i have 'dylan' on vinyl. there's a few good songs (spanish is the loving tongue is fantastic)

i've always had a soft spot for that album. i love Mary Jane and Lily of the west. also the way he changes the lyrics to "big yellow bulldozer took away the house and land" :lol

He did this one live when I saw him at VA Beach, probably in '96 or '98 (pre-time out of mind). quite fun to hear live, my favorite on that album. except he didn't get have the lyrics right live.

probably was in 1997. he played it quite often that year

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps this belongs in the blasphemy thread, but my favorite Dylan albums are:

-Postcards Of The Hanging (although the mix I made myself about 15 years ago is better, imo)

-I'm Not There OST

Yeah that's right, I like Dylan's music much better when performed by someone else.

I picked up a vinyl copy of "I'm Not There" tonight after seeing the movie last night. The soundtrack really stands out more now that I've seen the songs in the context of the film. Goin To Aculpoco is fantastic, as well as Pressing On.

I picked up a vinyl copy of "I'm Not There" tonight after seeing the movie last night. The soundtrack really stands out more now that I've seen the songs in the context of the film. Goin To Aculpoco is fantastic, as well as Pressing On.

btw-something I didn't realize until I looked at the song credits, Nels Cline plays guitar as one of the Million Dollar Bashers.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
criminally underrate due to its production (damn 1980's)

Empire Burlesque

Not his best, but I'm glad someone mentioned this one. I think Infidels fell into the same vein but I enjoyed this pair.

On the other hand, am I the only one that believes Blood on the Tracks has gotten too much notice over the years? Not that it's not a great album, but people can't get past Tangled Up in Blue.

My top 5. The order is somewhat flexible.

Highway 61

Bringing it all Back Home

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the Tracks

Freewheelin'

That's about right for me too. Honorable mentions to Times-they-are-a-changin, John Wesley Harding, and Modern Times. I like Time Out Of Mind and Oh Mercy a lot also.

I just can't believe it, people.

I have read the six pages and all the lists, and apart from Analogman who lists the whole discography, nobody mentionned Another Side of Bob Dylan, which is far better than the Freewheelin' one.

I just can't believe it, people.

I have read the six pages and all the lists, and apart from Analogman who lists the whole discography, nobody mentionned Another Side of Bob Dylan, which is far better than the Freewheelin' one.

I agree with you, but neither are in my top 5.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, this one is gonna be a tough one. Unless you hate Dylan (which I know may be a few of you), how do you choose from among his 1960's and early 70's output?

It's pretty close for me, between Freewheeling, Blood On the Tracks, and Nashville Skyline, but in the end...

Nashville Skyline

wins out, just for the sheer fun of it. As brilliant as all those albums are, my choice is the only one that really makes me smile outright.

Good to see some love for Nashville Skyline. Definitely one of my favoourites up there with Blond on Blonde and Highway 61. This album is just straight up awesome. Duo with Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels on Bass.

Give to me my country pie. I won't throw it up in anybody's face

What more do you need?