• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Blood on the Tracks

2. Highway 61

3. Time Out of Mind

4. Bringing It All Back Home

5. John Wesley Harding

I think it'd be more interesting to make a thread about one's least favourite Dylan records. Mine'd look something like this:

1. Dylan

2. Knocked Out Loaded

3. Empire Burlesque

4. Down in the Groove

5. Modern Times

Another Side..

Definitely my least favourite of the '60s records. Some of the individual songs are classics, but the recording itself is the opposite of compelling, IMO. Plus, from late '63 to the end of '64, Dylan had this truly irritating shrill quality to his voice that I just can't stand. I mean, I own Bootleg 6, of course, but I've never actually listened to it.

Definitely my least favourite of the '60s records. Some of the individual songs are classics, but the recording itself is the opposite of compelling, IMO. Plus, from late '63 to the end of '64, Dylan had this truly irritating shrill quality to his voice that I just can't stand. I mean, I own Bootleg 6, of course, but I've never actually listened to it.

I agree with the voice. But that album has some great lyrics and a great loose feel that I like.

I Shall Be Free No. 10

Motorpsycho Nightmare

Those are great tunes.

bootleg #6 is the halloween concert Dylan did in 1964. its a common one but now has an official release:.. well worth getting.

http://www.bobdylan.com/moderntimes/albums/live1964.html

as for Another side, i like the songs but there's something about the recording and his voice that i dont like. its sticks out from the rest of 60s albums. On the other hand, it was recorded in, what, 6 hours over a bottle of whiskey?

Same with Saved - i like most of the songs but the recording sounds bad. they sounded much better on the gospel tour between 79-81

as for Another side, i like the songs but there's something about the recording and his voice that i dont like. its sticks out from the rest of 60s albums.

Totally disagree. Actually there's something more soulful and moving from these vocals than on most of his other 60s albums.

I agree with the voice. But that album has some great lyrics and a great loose feel that I like.

I Shall Be Free No. 10

Motorpsycho Nightmare

Those are great tunes.

I'd rather pick "To Ramona" and "It Ain't Me, Babe". Their sound alone is 100% affecting.

Good to see some love for Nashville Skyline. Definitely one of my favoourites up there with Blond on Blonde and Highway 61. This album is just straight up awesome. Duo with Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels on Bass.

Give to me my country pie. I won't throw it up in anybody's face

What more do you need?

I know, it's one of my all time favorite country rock records, right up there with Harvest and Anodyne. Lay Lady Lay (as well as Tangled Up in Blue) is the entire reason I got into Bob Dylan when I was a 17 year old kid with an acoustic guitar cause I didn't have enough money to buy a proper guitar amp (some things never change haha).

I'd rather pick "To Ramona" and "It Ain't Me, Babe". Their sound alone is 100% affecting.

Ramona's a good one! Great to play on guitar

Revised: 14 June, 2008

12 Jun 2008: Thanks to Juan B. Heinink for information that the new volume of The Bootleg Series mentioned in the entry for 19 May 2008 is reported to contain previously officially-unreleased material from between 1989 and 2006. Thanks to Nol Grint for news from the Dutch newspaper "De Standaard" that it will contain five out-takes from Oh Mercy including solo piano versions of Dignity (maybe R-0680, see 2004) and God Knows; Polly Vaughan and Rise Again from the 1992 Chicago sessions with David Bromberg; 32:20 Blues, out-take from World Gone Wrong; Girl From The Red River Shore, Shake Sugaree and Mississippi, out-takes from Time Out of Mind out-takes; 'Cross The Green Mountain from Gods And Generals (R-0586, see 2003); plus two demo versions of songs from Modern Times.

Thanks to HwyCDRrev for news that Collector's Choice will re-release two Doug Sahm Atlantic albums featuring Bob in the USA on 31 Oct 2008: Doug Sahm and Band (see 1972) and Texas Tornado by The Sir Douglas Band (see 1973).

19 May 2008: Ian Woodward's "Wicked Messenger" column in "Isis" issue 138 reports that Bob has put music to some of the "Shoebox Songs" - unpublished lyrics left by Hank Williams in notebooks and papers in a shoebox. Apparently an album featuring Bob and other artists will be released by Sony later this year. Norah Jones performed one of the Shoebox Songs in New York in Mar 2008 with music written by herself. Ian also says a new volume of The Bootleg Series is likely to be released by Columbia/Legacy in Autumn 2008 - this is expected to be a 2CD set of previously officially-unreleased studio material like Vols. 1-3.

I just can't believe it, people.

I have read the six pages and all the lists, and apart from Analogman who lists the whole discography, nobody mentionned Another Side of Bob Dylan, which is far better than the Freewheelin' one.

See other Dylan thread for Another Side talk....

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Today, I found a Rolling Stone from the summer of 1986 at the laundromat with Dylan/Petty on the cover (in pristine condition), and, also, there is a link to a video today on Expecting rain from that very tour.

• 3 months later...

i've finally got a good listen at Blood on the Tracks.

now i see why it's up there with his 60's stuff.

the way he sings some words in Big Girl (how he strains one word in every verse) and Idiot Wind (how he pronounces 'idiot') are minorly annoying, but other than that, a very good album.

anyone notice how Buckets of Rain resembles Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime?

If You See Her makes me think of Lady Jane a little bit.

Listened to Highway 61 Revisited yesterday and was reminded of what a freaking masterpiece it is . . .

I believe it is the best rock record ever made. No matter how I study it. No matter how I tear it apart. No matter how I break it down, it remains consistent. ;)

Can't remember if I have already posted my Dylan favorites (but it is a moving target anyway...)

So here goes (in chronological order):

Bringing it all back home

Highway 61 revisited

Blonde on Blonde

John Wesley Harding

Blood on the Tracks

Desire

Infidels

Oh Mercy

Time Out of Mind

Love and Theft

Modern Times