14-Bob Dylan-The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

15-Elvis Costello-Get Happy

16-U2-The Unforgettable Fire

17-Joe Strummer-Global A Go Go

18-The Police-Reggatta De Blanc

19-The Temptations-Best of

20-Paul Weller-Paul Weller

best i could do for an impossible situation

any of these could be #1, but since we had to number them I did.

Compilation box sets are fair game?
don't know. i thought i read that compilations were ok, so i included it. someone else can make that decision about the rights and the wrongs of it all.

You did read that, and they are OK. :yes I'm just making these calls on the fly, so check back to the first post, which I'm updating with answers to these types of questions.

you guys have some really cool lists and brought to my attention some albums I had forgotten while compiling my list. man, this was like the hardest things I've ever done but here's my list, I think:

1. The Doors- L.A. Woman

2. The Magnetic Fields- 69 Love Songs

3. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

4. Joseph Arthur- Redemption's Son

5. Nick Drake- Pink Moon

6. Bob Dylan- Blood On The Tracks

7. Ryan Adams And The Cardinals- Cold Roses

8. Fionn Regan- The End Of History

9. Wilco- A Ghost Is Born

10. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers- Full Moon Fever

11. Cake- Prolonging The Magic

12. Johnny Cash- American IV- The Man Comes Around

13. Bob Dylan- Blonde On Blonde

14. Alkaline Trio- Goddamnit!

15. Blink-182- Dude Ranch

16. Joseph Arthur- Our Shadows Will Remain

17. The Doors- S/T

18. Syd Barrett- Barrett

19. The Grateful Dead- American Beauty

20. Alkaline Trio- Good Mourning

oh, would the Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs count as 1 choice or 3? its supposed to be an album but it contains 3 volumes

oh, would the Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs count as 1 choice or 3? its supposed to be an album but it contains 3 volumes

I would count it as one... and have as it's on my top 20 list ;).

Work in Progress (as of 6/14/08) this is how it stands so far:

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco

2. Z-My Morning Jacket

3. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots-The Flaming Lips

4. Welcome Interstate Managers-Fountains of Wayne

5. Once OST-Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

6. Demon Days-Gorillaz

7. Get Behind Me Satan-The White Stripes

8. A Ghost is Born-Wilco

9. Evil Urges-My Morning Jacket

10. Sea Change-Beck

11. Abbey Road-The Beatles

12. Sumday-Grandaddy

13. Let it Be...Naked-The Beatles

14. Consolers of the Lonely-The Raconteurs

15. Chronicle Vol. 1-Creedence Clearwater Revival

16. The Muppet Show-The Muppets

17. The Good, The Bad and The Queen-The Good, The Bad and the Queen

18. Odelay-Beck

19. Sky Blue Sky-Wilco

20. Born Again in the U.S.A.-Loose Fur

:thumbup My favourite album from my favourite band!

I was surprised just by how many people actually appreciate it over and above the universally acknowledged Pet Sounds. Case in point, I had a 60 year old chap help mend my downstairs plumbing (not a euphemism) the other day and it was playing in the background. He knew all the words to Steamboat, so we got chatting. Ended up putting on Carl and the Passions at his request, and him borrowing Faust IV.

Good pick with the Zombies, Odyssey narrowly missed my Top 20 shouts.

Provisional

1) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2) Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

3) Muse - Origin of Symmetry

4) Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

5) Bob Marley - Legend

6) KISS - Destroyer

7) Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake it's Morning

8) Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter II

9) Neil Young - Harvest

10) Fun Loving Criminals - Bag of Hits

11) Metallica - Metallica

12) Radiohead - The Bends

13) Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

14) Wilco - Being There

15) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

16) The Killers - Sam's Town

17) Elvis Presley - Hitstory

18) Oasis - Be Here Now

19) Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors

20) Dr. Dre - 2001

It's really hard to look at our recent music and put those in a top 20. I think I'll digest this when I turn 40. It's just not fair to put any Wilco, MMJ, M Ward, Dr. Dog over albums that I have spent atleast 10 years with. There is no way I will really know what that album did for me, while I'm still warming up to them. Not that I don't or wouldn't put these albums up there for must haves, but it's way too early to describe or understand what they have done for me in a present state of mind.

I've received votes from 10 of you so far, and only one of you broke the rules and submitted a non-final ranking; nine of you submitted your votes before the 15th; at least one of you didn't include your real name and/or VC user name (although I'm pretty sure I can figure out who you are from the e-mail address :monkey ); and one of you got sent to the spam folder, but you've been unbanished from there and are now safe in the VCtop100 inbox. And yes, I'm going to go ahead and count all those rule-breaking votes anyway. :rolleyes :lol

Recap of the rules, for those who still aren't bothering to read the first post in this thread:

1. Polls will open on June 15, and close on July 31. Results will be announced on August 8, or sooner if I've got my act together.

2. Feel free to post your lists in this thread, for discussion, lobbying, etc. However, anything posted in this thread, or PM'd to me, will not count as an official vote. Votes must be sent to VCtop100@gmail.com.

3. List your Top 20 albums of all time, numbered from 1 to 20, and please include both the album title and artist name. Also include your VC screen name and your real name (first name only is fine), just in case I need to verify anything about your vote.

4. I will give each #1 vote 20 points, #2 will get 19, etc. Please don't list anything as a "tie". I will come back to you and make you decide. :pirate I know it's nearly impossible to make a list like this, but give it your best shot. Flip a coin for the ties, if you have to.

5. Once you submit your list, that's it. No take-backs, no changes. That's why the voting period is so long. You've got plenty of time to refine your list, think out loud in this thread, etc. Make it perfect, and then send it to me.

I would suggest that you go back to that first post anyway, to check out the not-so-frequently-asked frequently-asked-questions, and because as we go along I'll be posting some other updates.

:wave

I've received votes from 10 of you so far, and only one of you broke the rules and submitted a non-final ranking; nine of you submitted your votes before the 15th; at least one of you didn't include your real name and/or VC user name (although I'm pretty sure I can figure out who you are from the e-mail address :monkey )

Sorry Gogo... I know that I account for at least two of those infractions. :blush

As far as sending them early, I figured it would be ok as they could just be ignored. Thanks for letting our voice be heard regardless of our ability to follow instructions.