Via Chicago's Top 100 Albums of All Time: Summer 2008 edition

I organized this last time we did it.

For your sanity, I would recommend that you cut the number of entries to 10.

I also had people email me their list, which they could only do once. No drafts or anything like that. Pick ten and stick with it.

The list was on my folks computer, cause that's where I was living 5-6 years ago when I did it, so I don't have the complete list, but I think that either YHF or Neutral Milk Hotel won. At any rate, they finished 1 and 2.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

3. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

4. The Beatles - Revolver

5. The Beatles - Rubber Soul

6. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

7. The Clash - London Calling

8. The Band - The Band

9. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

10. The Beatles - The Beatles

11. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

12. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

13. The Beatles - Abbey Road

14. The Band - Music From Big Pink

15. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

17. The Beatles - Let It Be

18. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

19. Sigur R

I organized this last time we did it.

For your sanity, I would recommend that you cut the number of entries to 10.

I also had people email me their list, which they could only do once. No drafts or anything like that. Pick ten and stick with it.

The list was on my folks computer, cause that's where I was living 5-6 years ago when I did it, so I don't have the complete list, but I think that either YHF or Neutral Milk Hotel won. At any rate, they finished 1 and 2.

Thanks, Tim!

Yeah, I thought YHF was #1, but I knew it was close with something else. That definitely makes sense.

I'm definitely going with the e-mail system, and no drafts. I thought 20 picks though, because if I recall, weren't there a lot of low-number ties the last time? I'm trying to avoid that situation. But depending on what kind of responses this gets in the next couple of days, I may revise the rules a bit one way or the other. I definitely appreciate your input, and I know I've got some nasty data-entry issues ahead of me. :thumbup

I am absolutely floored that you are the first to present a list. And a rough draft at that.

I'm getting a lot better at hearing sarcasm over the internet these days.

I'm getting a lot better at hearing sarcasm over the internet these days.

I thought your list was fine. That Shrimp Boat album is damn good, I've only had it for a few weeks so I haven't quite been able to digest it on the same level as my all time favorites. I have a feeling I'm going to be revising mine quite a bit though. Thanks to Gogo for suggesting this :thumbup. I'm glad I re-read the first post and know now to e-mail instead of just posting it in the thread. Reading comprehension is not one of my stronger points, despite being an English major.

--Mike

I love almost everything on these lists, and would second almost all of them, but why do I dislike Pet Sounds so much? I've wanted to like it, since it's such a classic, but I just don't, and here it sits on the shelf collecting dust.

I'm glad I re-read the first post and know now to e-mail instead of just posting it in the thread. Reading comprehension is not one of my stronger points, despite being an English major.

There will be reminders! In fact, for anyone who missed them the first time:

OK, the rules are:

1. Polls will open on June 15, and close on July 31. Results will be announced on August 8, or sooner if I've got my act together.

2. Feel free to post your lists in this thread, for discussion, lobbying, etc. However, anything posted in this thread, or PM'd to me, will not count as an official vote. Votes must be sent to VCtop100@gmail.com.

3. List your Top 20 albums of all time, numbered from 1 to 20, and please include both the album title and artist name. Also include your VC screen name and your real name (first name only is fine), just in case I need to verify anything about your vote.

4. I will give each #1 vote 20 points, #2 will get 19, etc. Please don't list anything as a "tie". I will come back to you and make you decide. :pirate I know it's nearly impossible to make a list like this, but give it your best shot. Flip a coin for the ties, if you have to.

5. Once you submit your list, that's it. No take-backs, no changes. That's why the voting period is so long. You've got plenty of time to refine your list, think out loud in this thread, etc. Make it perfect, and then send it to me.

:ninjatorch

I've been bold and submitted my 20. I'm just hoping there aren't any up-coming albums between now and the end of July that change the face of musical greatness. I think I'm safe though.

My picks:

1 Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

2 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

3 Faust - Faust IV

4 David Bowie - Low

5 Brian Eno - Another Green World

6 The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers

7 Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

8 Spiritualized - Pure Phase

9 Beach Boys - Holland

10 Neu! - Neu 75

11 Brian Eno - Music For Airports

12 Led Zeppelin - II

13 Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

14 Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

15 My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

16 Panda Bear - Person Pitch

17 Kraftwerk - Autobahn

18 Fairport Convention - What We Did on Our Holidays

19 David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars

20 John Cale - Paris 1919

For anyone who needs help in getting started here is a thread from back in March that covered the same topic. If you posted in that, like I did, it might give you hand come up with your new version.

I Miss the Innocence

Group: Member

Member No.: 13020

I've been bold and submitted my 20. I'm just hoping there aren't any up-coming albums between now and the end of July that change the face of musical greatness. I think I'm safe though.

My picks:

1 Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

2 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

3 Faust - Faust IV

4 David Bowie - Low

5 Brian Eno - Another Green World

6 The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers

7 Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

8 Spiritualized - Pure Phase

9 Beach Boys - Holland

10 Neu! - Neu 75

11 Brian Eno - Music For Airports

12 Led Zeppelin - II

13 Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

14 Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

15 My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

16 Panda Bear - Person Pitch

17 Kraftwerk - Autobahn

18 Fairport Convention - What We Did on Our Holidays

19 David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars

20 John Cale - Paris 1919

interesting choices

interesting choices

When picking these lists I usually think of the desert island scenario, ie if I could only have 20 albums to listen to for the rest of my life, which albums would they be.

The albums don't really change around that much, the order usually does.

Good stuff, I'll start working up my list. This used to be a good 3 AM weekend verbal sparring exercise w/ friends...

btw does anyone remember the official title of the Osmonds third album (not the live one, or the canadian only release)?

:stunned :stunned :stunned

I would hope so. They're essentially mix tapes/discs.

I agree. That one just happened to pop into my head. If I were on a desert island, I would grab that one over many "regular" albums that might be contenders for my list, but I agree that its kind of BS for our purposes here.

Carry on.

1st draft

1. Sticky Fingers/Stones

2. Harvest Moon/Neil

3. Decoration Day/DBT

4. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere/Neil with Horse

5. Darkness on the Edge of Town/Bruce

6. Ragged Glory/Neil with Horse

7. Exile on Main St./Stones

8. A Ghost Is Born/Wilco

9. The Beatles/Beatles

10. Honky Tonk Heroes/Waylon

11. Physical Graffiti/Zeppelin

12. Beggars Banquet/Stones

13. Born to Run/Bruce

14. Desire/Dylan

15. Southern Rock Opera/DBT

16. Trace/Volt

17. Viva Terlingua/JJW

18. Faithless Street/Whiskeytown

19. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back/PE

20. Hollywood Town Hall/Jayhawks

This is too hard. What constitutes my favorite albums. Many that I would think to put on the list are albums I rarely spin anymore, ya know. Do I put Axis: Bold As Love on the list as I was obsessed with it for a good part of my youth or do I leave it off because there are 20 albums that are more "go to" for me these days? This is putting a serious crimp in my productivity today. :P