New new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITo some degree, the internet acts as an equalizer, or, at least has (had?) the potential to play that role. Unfortunately, in reality, the exact opposite is probably true, in the sense that we tend to seek out news sources that buttress our own point(s) of view
Oh and here, regarding Huxley

McLame's new

not-so-subtly compares Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. And it says Obama's against offshore drilling like it's a bad thing :lol
McLame's new
not-so-subtly compares Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. And it says Obama's against offshore drilling like it's a bad thing :lol

Well, since polls show that roughly 60%-70% of people favor offshore drilling, I would say that McCain is wise to point out Obama's opposition.

Well, since polls show that roughly 60%-70% of people favor offshore drilling, I would say that McCain is wise to point out Obama's opposition.

Sure, but half of people also think that offshore drilling would reduce prices in the next year, which is false. On issue polling, its important to look at the accuracy of the information that people have.

Sure, but half of people also think that offshore drilling would reduce prices in the next year, which is false. On issue polling, its important to look at the accuracy of the information that people have.

So McCain should ignore the fact that two-thirds of the country favors offshore drilling?

So McCain should ignore the fact that two-thirds of the country favors offshore drilling?

If two-thirds of the country really favor this (I wasn't asked) it would probably be because they are getting some sweet propaganda with their fries. Super sized.

Solution....oil the streets up nice like and we can slide to work on oversized crocs.

29mkm60.jpg

If two-thirds of the country really favor this (I wasn't asked) it would probably be because they are getting some sweet propaganda with their fries. Super sized.

Solution....oil the streets up nice like and we can slide to work on oversized crocs.

29mkm60.jpg

Finally! A man of vision!

Meanwhile, what ever happened to this guy:

Keeping America competitive requires affordable energy. And here we have a serious problem: America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world. The best way to break this addiction is through technology. Since 2001, we have spent nearly $10 billion to develop cleaner, cheaper, and more reliable alternative energy sources -- and we are on the threshold of incredible advances.

So tonight, I announce the Advanced Energy Initiative -- a 22-percent increase in clean-energy research -- at the Department of Energy, to push for breakthroughs in two vital areas. To change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission coal-fired plants, revolutionary solar and wind technologies, and clean, safe nuclear energy. (Applause.)

We must also change how we power our automobiles. We will increase our research in better batteries for hybrid and electric cars, and in pollution-free cars that run on hydrogen. We'll also fund additional research in cutting-edge methods of producing ethanol, not just from corn, but from wood chips and stalks, or switch grass. Our goal is to make this new kind of ethanol practical and competitive within six years. (Applause.)

Breakthroughs on this and other new technologies will help us reach another great goal: to replace more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025. (Applause.) By applying the talent and technology of America, this country can dramatically improve our environment, move beyond a petroleum-based economy, and make our dependence on Middle Eastern oil a thing of the past. (Applause.)

George W. Bush state of the union 2006.

No, he should consider public opinion among other factors, such as facts. The public's view on whether or not we should drill is one of opinion, but their view that it would lower prices in a year is factually false and obviously informs the polling on whether or not it's a good idea.

And I'm sure he's aware of the fact that a lot of the people who favor it do so because he intentionally misinformed them.

No, he should consider public opinion among other factors, such as facts. The public's view on whether or not we should drill is one of opinion, but their view that it would lower prices in a year is factually false and obviously informs the polling on whether or not it's a good idea.

And I'm sure he's aware of the fact that a lot of the people who favor it do so because he intentionally misinformed them.

I don't remember him intentionally misinforming anybody of anything. Of course, I don't read every word he says either. According to his official website and a few speeches I looked up, the drilling is a long-term solution for reducing our dependence on foreign sources. He's also pushing hard for alternative sources of energy and the auto industry to get more fuel efficient.

Well, I think Obama would be doing a world of good pointing out that offshore drilling =/= lower gas prices rather than retaliating in some namby-pamby way. Point out the obvious, because that's the only thing the public will be able to understand.

It would be preferable for him to be a responsible public official rather than looking for just political gain.

It would be preferable for him to be a responsible public official rather than looking for just political gain.

:rotfl

I don't remember him intentionally misinforming anybody of anything. Of course, I don't read every word he says either. According to his official website and a few speeches I looked up, the drilling is a long-term solution for reducing our dependence on foreign sources. He's also pushing hard for alternative sources of energy and the auto industry to get more fuel efficient.

Well, here he lies and says that offshore drilling would drop prices in "months", and in this article, he's quoted lying about the safety of offshore drilling (he says that offshore drilling rigs survived Katrina without incident, which is false).

Well, here he lies and says that offshore drilling would drop prices in "months", and in this article, he's quoted lying about the safety of offshore drilling (he says that offshore drilling rigs survived Katrina without incident, which is false).

According to the MMS, there was no significant damage or spillage caused by Katrina and Rita.

I think the media blasted Bush for stupid things and turned a blind eye when we really needed them to hammer him.

Case in point: The first time in his presidency when he was roundly criticized was Katrina, which wasn't really a failing on his part so much as a failing of the government's beauracracy.

But they let the fucking war go for 3 years without a word.

Focusing on malaprops instead of focusing on policy.

The media panders to the lowest common denominator. It's not about informing and analyzing, it's about selling baked beans, hamburgers, deodorant and cars.

According to the MMS, there was no significant damage or spillage caused by Katrina and Rita.

Katrina and Rita did cause 124 smaller spills that released more than 700,000 gallons of petroleum products, according to Coast Guard estimates.Large enough that they were visible from space.

A Material Management preliminary report:www.mms.gov/ooc/press/2006/press0501.htm

Question? Is it true drilling offshore & bringing it thru pipelines is better than importing by ship in regards to spills? And what constitues a major spill?Do they just ignore the gazillion small ones and don't report them.Just how must damage has to be done to our natural world before it counts? I just quite understand all the talk.

Ron Paul's co-sponsoring with Barney Frank of the marijuana bill is causing me to take a second look at his campaign. I mean, hope and change is all fine and good, but no substitute for a big fat kind bud.