Dylan - Bootleg Series, Volume 8

Cold Irons Bound from disc 3 rages with an intensity and fury reminiscent of Dylan from 42 years ago. Could have come right after Ballad of a Thin Man on disc 2 of Bootleg Series, Vol 4.

Got me thinking about these songs from Oh Mercy onwards, and how these songs would sit with me if there was no such thing as Dylan pre-Oh Mercy. All these songs stand on their own, and with these outtakes and rarities as evidence, the songs and the emotion in them, outshine polished and released output from so many of today's artists. It's too hard for me to separate out the new Dylan from the old Dylan. Luckily, I don't have to -- I can enjoy both. But it's fun to consider. No one anywhere can write a song like Most of the Time, or Mississippi, or Cold Irons Bound.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I got this and it makes me want to give Oh, Mercy another shot

half of Oh Mercy is fantastic: "Shooting Star," "Man In The Long Black Coat," "Ring Them Bells," "Most Of Time."

stay away from "Political World," "Disease Of Conceit" and "Everything Is Broken" though.

-justin

I rather like those two songs. Political World and Everything is Broken, that is.

1. "Political World"

FWIW, I do think the tunes on Tell Tale Signs are great, but more because they show the evolution of his creative process. Not because he made the wrong decisions on which versions to put on albums. Those versions of Mississippi and Most of the Time are great -- but I prefer the album versions. Someday Baby might be the only one that I think sounds better as the alternate version. And as much as I love Red River Shore, it isn't polished. He couldn't have just stuck that on an album. It definitely has the feel of an outtake. It's missing something and I think he knew it. It still has more in it then 99% of any other songwriter's output, of course.

EDIT: And maybe some of the tunes on Under the Red Sky sound better here. I can't get over how good Born In Time is on here. I never realized how amazing that song is. Makes me think that the production is what f*cked it up on the album for me.

born in time has been a fave of mine for quite some time. i've had bootlegs with alternate versions of that song for some time.

I think of you in black and white.

Man, the guy is just on a whole other level.

I like the Oh Mercy version much better. But I think all of Oh Mercy is great.
I'm re-visiting "Oh Mercy" after hearing all of these great outtakes from TTS, and I question why I was so apathetic about this album for so long.

"Self, what were you thinking?"

There are some real gems on "Oh Mercy". That's the thing I think I'll always love about Dylan... one can always delve back into the back catalog and become obsessed all over again.

Long may He run, long may He run.

Kevin

i particularly like the version of "Born In Time" on the first disc. i've listened to it at least 25 times. it's really nothing short of stunning. it's a spliced version of a take that has circulated on bootlegs for years and i always knew that the bootleg version from the Oh Mercy sessions was better, but hearing it in official context has done it for me.

-justin

The first CD, top to bottom, is just unbelievable.

The other 2 CDs are kind of hit or miss for me.

I've been thinking the same thing!

my new fav. song off the set is 'Most of the Time' off of disc 1. like someone else mentioned, I myself have totally looked right over "Oh Mercy" for years thinking it was overproduced, etc, but its actually pretty good!

i love the chapter in Chronicles about the No Mercy recordings. what a great book! loving the new Bootleg series. still taking it in but off the bat loved Most of the Time version and the Mississippi takes. and yes the live Cold Irons Bound is intense!

the cold irons bound is fuckin' amazing. and trying to get to heaven. i'm obsessed with both right now. the whole 3rd disc actually.

i also love the live ring them bells off disc 1. gah, i didn't think my dylan obsession could go higher.

the cold irons bound is fuckin' amazing. and trying to get to heaven. i'm obsessed with both right now. the whole 3rd disc actually.

i also love the live ring them bells off disc 1. gah, i didn't think my dylan obsession could go higher.

My only issue is that collecters have heard those live versions for many years now. I would have rather had alternate takes from the sessions. A minor quibble....