Dylan - Bootleg Series, Volume 8

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like huck's tune. what don't you like about it?

The vocals are rotten, it goes absolutely nowhere, and it suffers from the same disjointed, directionless quality that has plagued so much of Bob's latter-day material. "All the merry little elves can go hang themselves?" Wha...?!

The BS8 stream on NPR is mostly really excellent, though. The Oh Mercy and TOOM stuff are highlights (which isn't surprising), and Red River Shore is a full-on lost classic. Haunting words about a life half-lived in pursuit of lost love, a gorgeous melody and a kind of return to Durango sound that I can't help loving. Man...

The version of Someday Baby on here is also really excellent, to the point where I can't believe the shitty official version was even considered for the album, let alone selected over this one.

The vocals are rotten, it goes absolutely nowhere, and it suffers from the same disjointed, directionless quality that has plagued so much of Bob's latter-day material. "All the merry little elves can go hang themselves?" Wha...?!

The BS8 stream on NPR is mostly really excellent, though. The Oh Mercy and TOOM stuff are highlights (which isn't surprising), and Red River Shore is a full-on lost classic. Haunting words about a life half-lived in pursuit of lost love, a gorgeous melody and a kind of return to Durango sound that I can't help loving. Man...

The version of Someday Baby on here is also really excellent, to the point where I can't believe the shitty official version was even considered for the album, let alone selected over this one.

i think the lyrics are fine, and the music is far better than a lot of modern times, which is something i certainly do agree with you on. that version of someday baby is great, it'd be funny to think that there is probably a whole album of different versions of the songs from modern times that is as good as this.

it's just such a pain in the arse about the whole third disc bullshit. there are quite a few songs on that (duncan & brady for example) that i'd love to have a good version of.

some of those outtakes from oh mercy sound like outtakes from blood on the tracks. incredible!

i think the lyrics are fine, and the music is far better than a lot of modern times, which is something i certainly do agree with you on. that version of someday baby is great, it'd be funny to think that there is probably a whole album of different versions of the songs from modern times that is as good as this.

it's just such a pain in the arse about the whole third disc bullshit. there are quite a few songs on that (duncan & brady for example) that i'd love to have a good version of.

i want d&b too!!!

I love that live version of High Water and Huck's Tune at the moment...

I'm really pleased that they chose that version of High Water. I only had to travel 10 minutes on the highway and 2 minutes in the city for that show, and it's the best Dylan gig I've ever seen. Fantastic fucking stuff!

And what about his vocals on Can't Wait. Holy FUCK. Can anybody think of a more convicted, sensuous Dylan vocal from this era? Or, for that matter, going back to the late '70s and early '80s? It's pretty amazing!

i'll be buying this thursday but no the deluxe edition. fuck them.

been listening to it since last week & there are some outstanding tracks on there. i'm glad to finally hear 'miss the mississippi and you'

oh & i need to find the supper club shows from 93. wow

my fave so far:

dignity (both versions)

born in time

can't wait #1

everything is broken

dreamin of you (possibly my fave dylan song in years. i consider it his best song since the 70's)

series of dreams

32-20 blues

god knows

ring them bells (wow!)

miss the mississippi

my fave so far:

dignity (both versions)

born in time

can't wait #1

everything is broken

dreamin of you (possibly my fave dylan song in years. i consider it his best song since the 70's)

series of dreams

32-20 blues

god knows

ring them bells (wow!)

miss the mississippi

Still digesting what I am hearing right now, but I can't believe how many good songs are on here. It's mind boggling to me that I was walking around last week and had no idea that a song like Dreamin Of You existed. What superlatives can be said about this guy that don't come off sounding like cliche at this point?

Thank you Bob.

i know man, i know. this just confirms my love for him & his music.

obviously dreamin' of you is a remake or beginning to tryin' to get to heaven, which in itself is great. but what else is out there? christ. he scares me

I agree. What the hell else is out there? I am going to start sounding like a broken record, but I was walking around last week and had no idea that a song like Red River Shore existed.

It is scary.