Dylan - Bootleg Series, Volume 8

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a great live version released on the 'Lovesick' single - is this version live?

No, its a studio take. I guess that they must mean that this version is unreleased. But then, why not say that for every track? On every album? :lol

Greil Marcus's review from bn.com:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-review/no...p?note=19470102

>But as a fan's privately pressed compendium of Dylan's 31 1993 live performances of the folk song "Jim Jones" (from Good as I Been to You) makes plain -- as over nine months the song's melody swallows its words, its words spur a new force in its rhythm, and finally the rhythm turns toward abstraction, and the song's narrator, a prisoner sent from London to the hellhole of 19th-century Australia, becomes a figment of his own imagination, his own landlocked Flying Dutchman) -- there is no end to what, when the spirit is right, Dylan can do with a song. A performance that at first seems flat reveals layers; a singer missing the cues in his own words turns out to be after something else entirely. The music here won't be heard the first time around.

These CDs give fans unfettered access to Dylan's creative process from Oh Mercy! through Modern Times. It's a brilliant and mindblowing ride to see how these songs and these albums came together. It's like you are there. I already treasure this package. It gives so much more than just the music.

I also read somewhere online that the ridiculous pricetag of the 3rd cd is Dylan's joke on all of us. After all, this is the bootleg series. He knows everyone is just going to bootleg that cd (ie, download it off the internet). Just like in the old days, when folks traded bootleg versions of Basement Tapes, etc. Not sure I believe it, but I sure hope that's the explanation. It's much better than any other that I've heard.

i hope that's true.

this part from the uncut article is brilliant:

One of the arguments during Time Out Of Mind was this thing about never doing a song the same way twice. Bob actually pulled Tony Garnier, his regular bass player, into the room with Dan at one point. He says,

Just started diving into this. First impression - holy crap, that version of 'Someday Baby' makes me want a whole album of Modern Times demos. So much more life to it than the shellacked official version.

When I heard you was cold

I bought you a coat and hat

I think you must have forgotten

about that.

I think we can all live happily ever after in the space between forgotten and about. Who's with me?

When I heard you was cold

I bought you a coat and hat

I think you must have forgotten

about that.

I think we can all live happily ever after in the space between forgotten and about. Who's with me?

Oh man, I know just what you mean. And my first listen, I could tell the "about that" was coming...and I got way more excited than I care to admit.

Just started diving into this. First impression - holy crap, that version of 'Someday Baby' makes me want a whole album of Modern Times demos. So much more life to it than the shellacked official version.

i love the MT version of Someday Baby, it's a blast :/

i love the MT version of Someday Baby, it's a blast :/

Yeah, except its unoriginal. At least the outtake has its own thing going, its not a direct rip off of what came before.

Yeah, except its unoriginal. At least the outtake has its own thing going, its not a direct rip off of what came before.

originality in music is vastly overrated and often overstated by today's standards...

hardly ANY music made today is "original" if you listen to a wide variety of music & styles.

i'll take GOOD music over original any day. plenty of bands/artists are original but blow ass.