Wilco doing 7th inning stretch Sunday

Did I miss this, or was it just released?

From Wilco HQ email:

For the baseball fans among you, Jeff Tweedy will be throwing out the first pitch at

Wrigley Field on Sunday and the band will lead the crowd in "Take Me Out to the

Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. It's the Cubs vs. Pirates... check your

local cable television listings or listen in on WGN or Mlb.com. Game time is 1:20pm

Central.

I've always thought they should have retired the whole celeb. worble-along after Harry died, but I'd be interested to hear this. Game is on WGN cable.

Just saw a neat exhibit at the Rock Hall of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," which is 100 this year.

edit: Ok, I just found it at the bottom of the "Wilco HQ email" thread, but I kinda think this deserves it's own thread.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does JT throw a strike or bounce it in ? Does he stand on the mound or on the grass in front ?

I doubt the 'first pitch' will be shown on the broadcast which is too bad.

I recently saw a clip of Mariah Carey throwing out a 'first pitch' and the ball went about 5 feet and bounced perfectly to home plate. I hate to say, but one of the best Bush moments: when he took the pitchers mound in Yankee Stadium right after 9/11 and threw a perfect strike with very good velocity while wearing a bullet proof vest. A major contrast to Kerry's unsuccessfull attempt at Fenway during his Presidential run.

60' 6" - Let's see what you got Jeff.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVMiJdHTfUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdWtydZChg...feature=related

This is bigger then SNL!

Generally the band or members of the band are interviewed by the Radio guys (Pat Huges and Ron Santo) TV (Len Kasper and Bob Brenly)in the bottom of the 6th and top of the 7th respectively. The game looks to be televised on WGN America so there is a good chance of most of the country seeing this. But if you have the means listen to it on the radio, cause it should be a weird weird interview.

You know what is strange about this as well, I heard an interview with Wilco back in 2000 or so and Jeff said he was a Cards fan.

Guest Jules
For at least one guy here, this is a dream come true. I hope to be there.

And I believe it is bottom 6th for radio interview and then they stand in the TV booth top of 7th getting ready to sing before sitting down for tv interview in bottom 7th.

Yeah, I think you're right. thx

This is bigger then SNL!

Generally the band or members of the band are interviewed by the Radio guys (Pat Huges and Ron Santo) TV (Len Kasper and Bob Brenly)in the bottom of the 6th and top of the 7th respectively. The game looks to be televised on WGN America so there is a good chance of most of the country seeing this. But if you have the means listen to it on the radio, cause it should be a weird weird interview.

You know what is strange about this as well, I heard an interview with Wilco back in 2000 or so and Jeff said he was a Cards fan.

He made a comment about the Cards at one of the St. Louis shows too.

I think they replay the first pitch footage during either the top of the 7th or bottom of the 6th inning as a teaser for the fascinating interviews that cover over the bottom of the 7th inning.

:lol One of my dad's best friends threw out the first pitch at a Brewers game a few years ago. That's a lot of pressure! He got to bring a whole entourage of friends and family to hang out on the field before the game, though, taking pictures in the dugout and stuff.

Will "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" show up as a cover song on Wilcobase? Will the whole band sing?

I grew up in southern Indiana and you were either a Reds fan a Cards fan or a Cubs fan. I was drawn to the Cubs because nearly every game was on tv (WGN) and they conveniently came on right when I got home from school. I love the days of Andre Dawson, Sandberg, Maddux early on, Shawon Dunston, Mark Grace. Still a fan and glad to see that for once they have a legitimate team that could do big things. Wilco and the Cubs together will be a treat for me. Wish I could be there, but I'll definitely watch.

Do they usually show the 7th inning stretch on tv, or would it be better to listen to on radio?

It will also be interesting to see how the band performs Take Me Out to the Ball GAme

They'll show the whole thing on the tv broadcast, and like someone said, will usually show the first pitch as a teaser before "Take me out to the Ballgame."

But the radio interview should be interesting just for the fact that one of the radio guys -- Ron Santo -- could say something off-the-wall hilarious at any moment. Or he'll just grunt "yeah" throughout.

As a non-violent, not-drunk Cubs fan, I think this is pretty freaking cool. Should be interesting to see if the whole band is there -- the booth where the guest usually performs the 7th-inning stretch is pretty small.

Here's a list from ESPN of those who've performed during the 7th inning stretch - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3476923

Congrats to the band on this!

chicagosports.com -- the Tribune's web site -- has footage going back to 2006 -- IIRC John Cusack is the first archive they have available.

Guitarist for Rage Against the Machine did TMOTTBG today -- or at least he stood up there and held the microphone.

Bottom 6th, WGN radio (AM 720) is interviewing John right now! :wub

Asking him about his musical influences. He says New Orleans regional bands and the Stones. Says the show last night went really well.

John's not 100% certain of the Wilco World URL. :lol Ron Santo's impressed with Wilco's 14 year history. "Oh, wow." --Ronnie

Pat's asking about alt-rock and alt-country (Pat of the radio, not Sansone).... John says early stuff had more of a twang, they were all country fans, now explaining the evolution from UT, says this influence bled into the early albums. Oh dear, Ronnie's asking if they do rock now...

"We run the gamut at this point, just kind of do it all" about their style.

And that's the inning. On to the tv!

7th inning fan cam featuring "Let's Not Get Carried Away"... interesting choice.

Looks like Jeff threw the first pitch to Jeff Samardzija, but the camera was right in front of him so we didn't see the pitch so much as we stared as him from the ground up.

Len Kasper, after a TV shot of Glenn getting ready in the booth: "I think Jeff [samardzija] would fit in the band with the long hair."

7th inning fan cam featuring "Let's Not Get Carried Away"... interesting choice.

Looks like Jeff threw the first pitch to Jeff Samardzija, but the camera was right in front of him so we didn't see the pitch so much as we stared as him from the ground up.

For you fans keeping score at home, Tweedy's jersey number was 3.

I saw everyone but Pat in the booth. Glenn did the Harry Caray "let me hear ya" intro. No one really sang into the mic, they mostly held them out to the crowd. I think Mikael was going to say "let's get some runs" but TV went to commercial!

They were introduced as "indie rock band Wilco."

For you fans keeping score at home, Tweedy's jersey number was 3.

And I think Glenn had 30-something.

Jeff's being interviewed on tv. They're talking about the nudie suits. Len: "You said you did a lot of sewing before that show."

Jeff: "I lied."

:lol

Now talking about the residency. "There are a couple of songs I don't ever want to play again." And he just reiterated their desire to do a residency next year!!! :dancing

Jeff admitted to growing up a Cards fan "but I don't think they'll have me anymore once this airs."

Picked 3 for his jersey because "it's the magic number." Says the Cubs jersey looks good and is very slimming.

Shout out to Total Pros. And that's the inning!

Jeff's being interviewed on tv. They're talking about the nudie suits. Len: "You said you did a lot of sewing before that show."

Jeff: "I lied."

:lol

Now talking about the residency. "There are a couple of songs I don't ever want to play again." And he just reiterated their desire to do a residency next year!!! :dancing

Jeff admitted to growing up a Cards fan "but I don't think they'll have me anymore once this airs."

Picked 3 for his jersey because "it's the magic number." Says the Cubs jersey looks good and is very slimming.

Shout out to Total Pros. And that's the inning!

Good play-by-play!

Sounds like Len is a fan.

Fun to see -- was Pat there?