I have also been reading about a company than bands can hire to seek out and rid the internet of all unauthorized posting of anything to do with their band.

That is fascinating -- and probably more than a little sneaky -- line of work. Do you have a link?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is fascinating -- and probably more than a little sneaky -- line of work. Do you have a link?

There was an article in Rolling Stone last month. I'll see if I can find a link. Prince wanted himself completely removed from the internet. Messing with his fan's sites even to the point of having a picture of a guy with a Prince tattoo removed.

I don't really care for Steely Dan, but I would be surprised if the did something like Van Morrison did not to long ago.

Web Sheriff

Thanks for the link. I thought the "Wild West" analogy to the Web had been beaten into the ground a long time ago.

It's interesting that, for the level of their production values, how low-tech Steely Dan's Web site is.

Thanks for the link. I thought the "Wild West" analogy to the Web had been beaten into the ground a long time ago.

It's interesting that, for the level of their production values, how low-tech Steely Dan's Web site is.

Those letters they had up about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were funny as hell.

I think a lot of those sort of places will be closing up this year. I just read that Rapidshare turned over all of their records to the GEMA.

what's GEMA? also, what did van morrison do? i actually went looking for something by him on one of 'those' sites yesterday and there was nothing to be found interestingly. seems like any artist could just hire some tech dude to go out there once a week and dismantle torrents, blogs, etc.

what's GEMA? also, what did van morrison do? i actually went looking for something by him on one of 'those' sites yesterday and there was nothing to be found interestingly. seems like any artist could just hire some tech dude to go out there once a week and dismantle torrents, blogs, etc.

I think they are the German version of the RIAA.

Van Morrison is gearing up to play his classic album, Astral Weeks, at the Albert Hall this month but you'll struggle to find more than a handful of official clips of the man on YouTube. That's the work of the Web Sheriff. Numerous Van fansites, too, have been scrubbed:

I believe all ROIO BT sites have followed suite, that is no Van Morrison torrents are allowed at sites such as Dime A Dozen.

interesting. i know there isn't anything on demonoid. and much less than usual on btjunkie.

I believe all ROIO BT sites have followed suite, that is no Van Morrison torrents are allowed at sites such as Dime A Dozen.

wow, now fan sites going away is going a little too far. i notice not much van is on itunes, but it's all on amazon. interesting character he is. saw him on leno last night and it was great!

• 2 years later...

Wow, this thread hasn't been bumped in almost two years. I was thinking about creating a Steely Dan Appreciation thread, and then I remembered the "Search" function....

I have always loved this band, and like pretty much everything they did up through and including Gaucho. Speaking of Everything You Did, that's what just popped up on my iTunes and prompted me to think about them...

Where did the bastard run?

Is he still around?

Now you gotta tell me everything you did baby...

Got to love a song with the lines

Turn up the Eagles,

The neighbors are listening

What a way to drown out an argument! :lol

I have to admit to never giving them a fair shake. Having been born in '84, they may have been just a bit before my time.

But my dad recently let me have his collection of vinyl records which includes all of Steely Dan's albums and I can't stop spinning them. To top it off, everything up through Gaucho is $4.99 for the physical CD on Amazon right now so they got a solid $35 bucks out of me for all of them...

I have to admit to never giving them a fair shake. Having been born in '84, they may have been just a bit before my time.

But my dad recently let me have his collection of vinyl records which includes all of Steely Dan's albums and I can't stop spinning them. To top it off, everything up through Gaucho is $4.99 for the physical CD on Amazon right now so they got a solid $35 bucks out of me for all of them...

I love the song Gaucho. that's a pretty good album with Hey Nineteen and Babylon Sister (shake it!)

Mr. Heartbreak, I kindly request you turn that jungle music down just until we're out of town.

:lol

I have to admit, I love the Gaucho album. I think Babylon Sisters is one of their greatest tracks, and I especially love the hilarious title track (although it's pretty dated now...back then it probably sounded progressive, but now it would sound homophobic to people).

Their earlier stuff rocked more, but as they got slicker, the level of musicianship became just amazing. It really peaks on Aja, I suppose...

:lol

I have to admit, I love the Gaucho album. I think Babylon Sisters is one of their greatest tracks, and I especially love the hilarious title track (although it's pretty dated now...back then it probably sounded progressive, but now it would sound homophobic to people).

Their earlier stuff rocked more, but as they got slicker, the level of musicianship became just amazing. It really peaks on Aja, I suppose...

Yeah, I usually listen to the first two records a little more than the rest (Can't Buy a Thrill may be my favorite), but their entire seventies run (no none of the comeback albums count) is pretty impeccable. 60 percent of the text messages I have back and forth with my brother are Steely Dan lyrics.

--Mike

60 percent of the text messages I have back and forth with my brother are Steely Dan lyrics.--Mike

My brother does that to me with cryptic Grateful Dead lyrics. He was just heading through Texas and his message was "If I had a gun for every ace I've drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene." :lol

I'm seeing Donald Fagen next weekend. He's playing in Levon Helm's midnight ramble. Very psyched.

That's gonna be awesome. You're very lucky!

I saw the Dan three times last year, and all of them were fantastic (all my recordings are on the Traders Den if anybody is interested.) I've been loving the title track off of the Royal Scam recently. Such a damn good groove

Thanks, Scalzunfield, for the info about the sale on Amazon. I had all those old records on vinyl years ago and only replaced a few on CD, and I just realized I had never transferred them over to my iPod. So I just made a big ol' buy on Amazon and will be busily adding lots of the Dan to the iPod soon.

The AV Club's Gateways to Geekery weighs in. http://www.avclub.co...eely-dan,70509/

I've been a fan of the Dan for a long time. I think this guy's assesment and recomendations of what to start with and what to avoid if you are just getting started with Steely Dan are spot on. Countdown to Ecstasy has some amazing guitar solos, its not too polished (i.e. its not yet yacht rock), it feels at least somewhat like a true band as opposed to two guys and a bunch of sidemen and there are some really good songs on there. The Boston Rag was never a favorite of mine until I saw them play it live, holy shit did it ever come to life for me, the ending of that song rips! And who doesn't love a good F-bomb in a rock song like on Show Biz Kids?

• 2 weeks later...

That's gonna be awesome. You're very lucky!

I saw the Dan three times last year, and all of them were fantastic (all my recordings are on the Traders Den if anybody is interested.) I've been loving the title track off of the Royal Scam recently. Such a damn good groove

It was a terrific show. Levon's band was terrific. They played a nice version of Black Friday, but that's the only SD song we were treated to.