Prepare for douche chills

It seems like, in a concert environment, texting would be the least obnoxious thing one could possibly do.

The least obnoxious thing someone could do is just shut the fuck up and/or stop texting long enough to simply listen to the band they just drove x number of miles at $3.99+ a gallon, plus the price of admission, to see.

Not to mention being courteous and respectful towards all the other folks who took time out of their lives to catch the band, and not your distracting (not you specifically of course) totally engaging conversation.

So you use this medium to try to reach your desired audience. Texting does the exact same thing.

Not quite, realistically, it would not be viable to carry on this conversation over the phone. Whereas texting now often takes the place of actual conversation, where no impediment to carrying out an actual conversation exists.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I am the owner of the blog in question and I was wondering why I was receiving some extra hits recently.

It's nice to see that someone besides a couple of my friends have found their way to my blog.

I had a feeling I'd get busted on this one! Can we still be friends? :cheekkiss Your post came up on my "Zooey Ward" google notification. I am a fan of Freakwater (seen 'em once) and She & Him (seen 'em three times), but I do understand why Freakwater might not appeal to all S&H fans. I was probably a little less charitable after the "60-year-old man" remark, being as I'm generally among the more seasoned fans at shows. Perhaps I missed the intended satire, but the feel I got from the post was "See how witty me and my friends are!" Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Anyways, welcome aboard!

How is texting distracting to anyone in a concert environment?

During a fucking opening band, no less. Seriously, I don't see how someone sending a text message (a wholly personal and silent activity) can hamper your ability to enjoy a show, unless you let it. The only way I can really see it being a problem is if you just get pissed off everytime you see the blue glow of a cell phone in someone's hands.

Not quite, realistically, it would not be viable to carry on this conversation over the phone. Whereas texting now often takes the place of actual conversation, where no impediment to carrying out an actual conversation exists.

I think the one guy made the point I'd rather have the person next to me at a concert texting that yacking away with people around them. Or using the two-way feature on a phone to loudly carry on a conversation about nothing.

Also, in posting to a list or board, or forum, you anticipate you are carrying on a conversation, when in reality, your response -- or mine -- could be to an audience of zero. Whereas the text message is welcome and received.

How is texting distracting to anyone in a concert environment?

During a fucking opening band, no less. Seriously, I don't see how someone sending a text message (a wholly personal and silent activity) can hamper your ability to enjoy a show, unless you let it. The only way I can really see it being a problem is if you just get pissed off everytime you see the blue glow of a cell phone in someone's hands.

Your opening band might be my headliner.

See Sunken Treasure's awesome Jeff rant w/r/t my feelings vis a vis communal concert behavior as it relates to the individual.

Notice: The Sprint PCS user you are trying to reach has disabled all data messaging services.

Your opening band might be my headliner.

See Sunken Treasure's awesome Jeff rant w/r/t my feelings vis a vis communal concert behavior as it relates to the individual.

IIRC that rant is about people "fucking talking." Again, complaining about someone texting is something you have to actively be looking for for it to bother you -- it's not like someone talking. It's like getting freaked out about people holding up lighters.

If some action in the periphery is bothering you, you're not part of the "communal concert behavior" to begin with.

And if it is an opening band that they don't care about, who is it hurting?

That's what I'm not getting. You are using this whole abstract idea of the community in your argument, but it doesn't really exist. It's just a bunch of people at a concert, some enjoying, and some not. But nobody is being hurt by this. It's a victimless crime, and you have to actively let it bother you for it to really be a problem.

As far as I can tell, your gripe isn't that it is bothersome, but that it disturbs this utopian ideal you have for concerts. Sorry, but this seems like just about the most harmless thing one could do at a concert.

'i wish people would stop talking at concerts' >>>>>> 'i wish people would stop w/ the annoying texting and just go talk to the person'

wait, what?

Calm down Captain Motorola.

And if it is an opening band that they don't care about, who is it hurting?

That's what I'm not getting. You are using this whole abstract idea of the community in your argument, but it doesn't really exist. It's just a bunch of people at a concert, some enjoying, and some not. But nobody is being hurt by this. It's a victimless crime, and you have to actively let it bother you for it to really be a problem.

As far as I can tell, your gripe isn't that it is bothersome, but that it disturbs this utopian ideal you have for concerts. Sorry, but this seems like just about the most harmless thing one could do at a concert.

Is there an event at which you might find it disrespectful to text? How about funerals, cause if you

One probably shouldn't text during a classical music recital, but other than that, who cares?

Texting at a funeral would probably be disrespectful, but I wouldn't get mad.

You don't know what the person is texting about, frankly, so I don't think it's fair to judge.

And disrespectful =/= bothersome. You aren't arguing it is disrespectful to text at a concert. You are arguing it detracts from others enjoyment of the show.

And disrespectful =/= bothersome. You aren't arguing it is disrespectful to text at a concert. You are arguing it detracts from others enjoyment of the show.

me

Not to mention being courteous and respectful towards all the other folks who took time out of their lives to catch the band, and not your distracting (not you specifically of course) totally engaging conversation.