Prepare for douche chills

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texting, cellphones, cameras... does anyone actually go to a concert to just watch and listen anymore? This whole ADD multi-tasking thing has turned many concert goers into enormous pea-brained assholes. You want to text and photograph the whole show with your camera-phone, stay home and watch a concert DVD instead, it's obviously more your speed. Please leave the concerts for people who like interacting with others and enjoy the experience of a concert.

:thumbup

8 pages of thread, and this was the only thing that resonated with me.

OK - carry on, peeps.

no cell phone, no text messaging here either. wow, three whole people? i'm pretty impressed.

I don't get this bit. No one in this thread has explicity claimed that Freakwater is inherently worthy of some great respect (more so than other bands, etc).

Not a bit. Just fucking with bobbob. I have no opinion on Freakwater. I just think the original text messaging dialogue is quite funny.

Texting, cellphones, cameras... does anyone actually go to a concert to just watch and listen anymore? This whole ADD multi-tasking thing has turned many concert goers into enormous pea-brained assholes. You want to text and photograph the whole show with your camera-phone, stay home and watch a concert DVD instead, it's obviously more your speed. Please leave the concerts for people who like interacting with others and enjoy the experience of a concert.

So, if you take a picture or two, use your cellphone, etc. at a concert, you can't enjoy it as well?

One of my truisms which I have always tried to hang onto is "Always clap for the band, no matter how bad they are." Really. I mean, they get up in front of people and get all vulnerable and stuff, and then the least I can do in return is clap a little. They have way more guts than me at that point, so give it up a little, you know? Just seems like basic respect to me. What does anyone have to gain by dis'ing a performer? I don't get it...

So, if you take a picture or two, use your cellphone, etc. at a concert, you can't enjoy it as well?
Sure, taking a picture or two is fine. Though I'm not sure why most bother. The average concert photo taken by cellphone looks like a blurry amorphous blob. To each his own though.

Anyway, I'm talking about the ones holding up cameras every 10 seconds, emailing photos and video to friends, and constantly holding up their phones so people on the other end can hear. If you're really into a show you're generally not doing those things. I don't know, maybe I'm just too old to understand this mentality.

Sure, taking a picture or two is fine. Though I'm not sure why most bother. The average concert photo taken by cellphone looks like a blurry amorphous blob. To each his own though.

Anyway, I'm talking about the ones holding up cameras every 10 seconds, emailing photos and video to friends, and constantly holding up their phones so people on the other end can hear. If you're really into a show you're generally not doing those things. I don't know, maybe I'm just too old to understand this mentality.

I understand now.

Catherine Irwin (the brunette in Freakwater) wrote "Hex". Most of you probably know the Neko Case version. It's incredible. For that reason alone, she can do no wrong. I don't have a major problem with texting at shows as long as the texter isn't right up front, but come on, show some respect. She wrote "Hex," people. It's the "He Stopped Loving Her Today" of the 00s.

I'm guilty of one of those. I don't consider myself an abuser of the technology but when we went to the Wilco concert in town the one song my daughter wanted to hear was Heavy Metal Drummer, which they didn't play. When they played it in the next town I called her and held the phone up when they played it. She said she heard it find and thought it was cool to do that. I remember thinking after hanging up what that would have meant to me when I was younger and I thought I would have been blown away by the idea of being able to do something like that. Today it's taken for granted and abused.

You could extrapolate this point a bit and grouse about the tapers -- how can they enjoy the concert when they're so consumed with levels and mike placement. How can you enjoy playing in a bad remembering all those damned scales and chords?

People do some ridiculous, outlandish things at concerts, and they become part of the fabric of the experience. Regardless of whether they're handling technology, drugs or drink, it's not what's being used, it's the discretion of the user.

Just for the record... I didn't go to a Freakwater show. I wasn't even aware She & Him had an opening act (it wasn't displayed on their website) until I arrived at the venue.

Actually Freakwater is a very good band, if maybe not to your taste... They have been around for quite awhile. Meanwhile, She and Him, while also good, are a one off project which will be over in a few months.

I don't understand this thread at all. what is it even about?
Me either.....text if you want...what's the big deal??

LouieB

I once sat next to Futureman at a concert and he was trying to text, but just couldn't seem to figure it out. That struck me as ironic.

That's funny.

Whenever the subject of Freakwater comes up, I think of the Handsome Family and Robby Fulks as well. All three are like the holy trinity of quality country music in Chicago. I used to see them play at Heather and Chris's Record Round-Up way back when......an added bonus was that Cindy PlasterCaster was normally there as well.

Actually Freakwater is a very good band, if maybe not to your taste... They have been around for quite awhile. Meanwhile, She and Him, while also good, are a one off project which will be over in a few months.

I dunno... Zooey seems pretty gung ho about it and has already stated that she's begun writing new songs already for Volume 2. But what you said doesn't change the fact that it still wasn't a Freakwater show. It was in fact a She & Him show and marketed as such.