I just started messing with the new Genius feature this week and it's pretty awesome for catching a mood, etc. For those unaware, it's essentially putting together a playlist from your music library based on the song that you select. I'm having issues with a few artists for some reason but I'm assuming they'll fix this.

Anyone tried this yet?

what would they possibly do with it?

Well I'm almost 100% certain they have no interest in doing anything with it, and theres not much they could do with it, but if they really tried...

For example, I have lots of my original songs in my iTunes Library, including rough cuts and stuff i never released. If someone looked through my library, they could figure out what my name is.

Furthermore, I have songs in my library that I didnt pay for. Maybe they are labeled slightly incorrectly or something which might tips someone off that they were downloaded not from the iTunes music store.

So, in theory apple could send my info to the RIAA or something. However, I don't have a tin foil hat and I'm not worried about it.

I think people are confused, there is a part of the Genius that goes to the iTMS and recommends music to buy, which is pretty much crap. Then there is a Genius playlist button, which when you click a song it goes through and creates a playlist based on that song. I have found the songs are pretty close, and then sometimes not. For some reason the Genius seems pretty confused by Ryan Adams. And I guess who isn't.

I've used it to generate about 10 different genius playlists and 98% of each of them has been dead-on in regards to mood, music type, etc.

It's been pretty spot-on for me too. I have a rather large library, and oftentimes get stuck in a music "rut" if you will, listening only to a certain band, or album, or what have you. The genius factor for me is that it juxtaposes songs that, for whatever reason, simply haven't been played for a while. It's kind of refreshing.

Kevin