Grant Park, 4th of July, 2001

I'm listening to this show during lunch. Though I always get the same positive vibe and smile when listening, I just felt compelled to say that if you've never heard this or haven't listened in a good while, remedy that soon. For me it is just so joyful. The vibe that comes through is so clear, it rings like a church bell pealing the end of a wedding. Seeing the scenes from the Sam Jones doc add to it. Listening to the show, it always amazes me that a short time later things were quite different in Wilco land. Even though it was likely a foregone conclusion at that point, on the stage in Grant Park on the 4th of July, they were heroes, just for one day.

That is all. Thanks and give a listen this weekend.

This one of the shows that everyone needs to have. The Bennett/Kotche lineup was unreal, and this is sadly the only decent quality boot from that short run of shows they did together before Jay got sacked. It's hard not to listen to YHF and this boot and not play the "what if" game.

--Mike

This one of the shows that everyone needs to have. The Bennett/Kotche lineup was unreal, and this is sadly the only decent quality boot from that short run of shows they did together before Jay got sacked. It's hard not to listen to YHF and this boot and not play the "what if" game.

--Mike

I don't have this. But I will. Oh yes. I will.

Thank you Owl and Bear.

Yes, that's a great show. It was one of my first Wilco boots. I believe that was Jay Bennett's last show.

One of my first as well. I always return to this show - it's just so good - certainly a top 10 for me.

my fav show too

love Jays guitar, very soulful sounding

Me too. It's interesting, this show has to be one of my favorites, and is one of the favorites of a lot of people on here it seems, but I got the show from a music blog (who shall remain nameless -- unless some one asks) that posted it to say how awful the show was because Jay overplayed and was generally kind of a jerk and didn't get the songs and no one seemed like they were having any fun. The blog contrasted the show with another at the Fillmore SF during the Being There tour where everyone seemed to be having a good time and Jay was more in his element.

I think the Grant Park show had a sloppy, rollicking feel that can either energize you or totally annoy the hell out of you. I think I'm electrified whenever I hear any part of it.

I downloaded some torrent and then I opened the file for the show from the traders den, but all thats happening in the last five minutes is it says its connecting to peers, does it usually take this long to find the file? Also am I even doing it right? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to hear this show, and if this is not the right section to ask these questions let me know where I should post

Someday - I am going to find or create a step by step screen shot how to for such things. There is probably one out there somewhere. Basically, after you download the torrent file, and it is on your desktop, then you need to open it with your BT client. You will also need to make a folder somewhere - as when you open the torrent file you downloaded, it will ask you where to save the tracks that will be coming in to your computer. Remember, BT works by everyone sharing. After you get that going on, there is, of course, some tweaking to do, - but you should not worry about that at the moment.

If you snag the tracks from The Owl and The Bear, you simply click on the track, and then, it will download to your desktop, or wherever you have you have downloads set to go to. What I do in cases like that, is make a folder with the band name and date of the show, and then direct all the tracks to go into that folder.

thanks, when I download from owl and bear do I then send the files to the torrent? because I am now downloading the first track but it has that weird looking white box with the blue dots in it where it should show the file is an mp3 if you have any idea what im talking about. I think Im just completly lost on how to make the file download in to the Bit torrent that i downloaded. It would be alot easier if there is a place with mp3 files of this show, do you know of one?

The files are FLAC files (or in some cased SHN files), that is, lossless files. Mp3 files are lossy files. You will need to start with learning about FLAC files, and then go from there.

Obtaining tracks form The Owl and The Bear has nothing to do with Bit Torrent - they are two different things. When you snag something from The Owl and The Bear, it is a direct download, that is, The Owl and The Bear are hosting the files, and anyone can just snag them directly.

Although this stuff may seem overwhelming at the moment, it will be no big deal once you learn. And once you learn, it will open a new world to you.

Sure, someone can simply put up some low bit rate Mp3 files, and case closed - but what does that do for a person the next time they want a show, and there is no one there to put up some low bit rate Mp3 files?

It is best to learn this stuff - and then you can get the shows yourself, convert them to Mp3 files (is so desired), and then live happily ever after.

If you take a look at the links in this thread, you will learn everything (almost) you need to know: Bit Torrent and Related Links, Audio file conversion, How-to, Wilco show lists, etc.

You are right - it helps if you have someone to walk you through it. But - If you live on a college campus, it would not be in your best interest to even bother with Bit Torrent.

Edited by Analogman