new Animal Collective album

are you an AC fan in general? their stuff is pretty tough to "get into", i guess you could say. took me almost a year of listening, then putting it down in disgust, then picking it up 4 months later and giving it another shot.

No I really didn't give them much of a listen. I respect the judgment of a lot of people who have a favorable opinion of them which is why I am giving this album more of a chance than I might otherwise.

Like I said... I appreciate it, I just have connected to it yet. After a couple more listens I may put it on the shelf and return to them later as you did.... sometimes "getting it" is a matter of timing and circumstance.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recently got into panda bear. love the brian wilsonish stuff on there. is animal collective like this?

it's funny, brian wilson is an artist whom i like the folks influenced by him more than his output :mellow

noah's vocal always sound like brian to me unless he's doing something really fast (i only own their last two records though).

the most B Dub-ish track to me on MPP is the Tare song, No More Runnin'.

btw, what Brian Wilson/Beach Boys albums have you heard in full?

are you an AC fan in general? their stuff is pretty tough to "get into", i guess you could say. took me almost a year of listening, then putting it down in disgust, then picking it up 4 months later and giving it another shot.

I had Feels for a good 2 years before it finally clicked (also had a period of thinking it was lousy)....one of my favorite albums ever now.

Merriweather is so good. Don't give up!

for those who like MPP:

it's an unreleased song that went unfinished during recording...personally Panda Bear has one of his best vocal performances/moments ever in his part during the string section:

"what ever made me into a man?/if I had my friends, I wouldn't need a thing"

seems like the last time I checked this thread many people were dogging it. I see a future purchase, as well as Strawberry Jam.

Its worth the money. No dogging here.

seems like the last time I checked this thread many people were dogging it. I see a future purchase, as well as Strawberry Jam.

i think people were complaining more about the old animal collective, rather than the new album, most people seemed to have warmed to them more now. i'd recommend 'Feels' too, by the way (probably still my favourite album of theirs)

• 3 months later...

I revived this thread because I finally got a copy of this and I'm just not gettin' into it.

I feel like:

I've been trying since the day it came out (or before, since I probably downloaded a leak). It's not that I don't like it. I just end up wanting to hear something else by the time it gets near the end.

and

...I haven't connected with it. Perhaps it's just not my thing. I'll give it a few more listens.

Hopefully soon I' feel like:

i changed my mind about MPP being too long.

i had a long drive the other day and didn't feel anything should be cut after that.

and

I think I have changed my mind too. I retract my prior statement. Something clicked between listens 5 and 6.

I Love Strawberry Jam. It's one of my favorite albums, so I was pretty excited to get this, especially with all the hype.

I'll keep trying but I also got Akron/Family, Cotton Jones, and Midlake. All three I'm REALLY digging.

Maybe I'll come back to it.

I think it was Aquarium Drunkard. Downloaded a couple songs, liked it. Got the whole album from eMusic.

My favorites are still the two original downloads, but the rest of the album is good too.

On AD

Cotton Jones Basket Ride on eMusic

I really liked their EP on Quite Scientific and they're supposed to put out another soon.

The CD comes in a bound book with artwork and lyrics.

I bought the CD before Paranoid came out and liked it, but when I first got Paranoid I didn't like. It grew on me later and is really good driving music - especially the last track.