new Animal Collective album

to me, Sung Tongs is like two dudes playing acoustic guitars (maybe with weed) in a shed in the winter having a blast (thats what it was),

And that's why it's so good in my opinion. When you consider what most people would consider restrictions - two people, barely a drum kit, and acoustic guitars - it's incredibly inventive. Only in the last couple of songs does it taper out.

Feels is a summertime jamfest of guitars and drums about love (it was), Strawberry Jam was 4 guys maturing into legitimate songwriters, and Merriweather Post Pavillion is everyone working at the same goal. I can't imagine what their next album will be like but I think it may be the album most similar to their past stuff.

I read an interview once in which Noah said that Strawberry Jam was entitled that because he was on a plane once and with his meal he received a small pot of Strawberry Jam, and that best summed up exactly how they wanted the album to sound. And that makes sense to me, when you compare it to MPP it's a lot denser and glossier.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only recognizable samples they used were the jaw harp in 'Lion in a Coma' and the G and Fmaj7 chords of 'Guys Eyes' are sampled from The Zombies (Leave Me Be), but I dont remember what song. there are some samples that run throughout that are the guys playing- most of the drums I believe are altered beats by Panda Bear, and there are a bunch of other samples that drift throughout that are from other sources, but they're usually extra things and dont pertain to the melody or chords.

isn't the list in Person Pitch a list of all the artists he took samples from?

i didn't think about it at first, but it didn't just sound Pet Sounds-esque but like actual bits of that session were sampled.

i've also wondered if they pile a ton of effects on their vocals live.

do their early records have a ton of vocal effects, too?

I think Daily Routine needs to go. Maybe No More Runnin', too.

I couldn't disagree more. Daily Routine is one of my favorite songs on the album. No more runnin has a great feel to it.

Right now I would rank songs

Bluish>Taste>In The Flowers>Daily Routine>My Girls>Lion in a Coma>Brothersport>Summertime Clothes>No More Runnin>Guys Eyes>Also Frightened

I like every song on this cd.

Bluish>Taste>In The Flowers>Daily Routine>My Girls>Lion in a Coma>Brothersport>Summertime Clothes>No More Runnin>Guys Eyes>Also Frightened

Agree with you here, Bluish is definitely the best song on the album. I haven't heard a song that sounds that good to me in a real long while.

I haven't been able to stop playing this album since its release. I managed to hold off from any leaks and it seems my dilligent efforts have paid off. I actually wrote a review of the album for my campus radio station's website. Here's the link if anybody's interested: http://blogs.civl.ca/blog/2009/01/26/anima...post-pavillion/. It's nice and short too!

isn't the list in Person Pitch a list of all the artists he took samples from?

i didn't think about it at first, but it didn't just sound Pet Sounds-esque but like actual bits of that session were sampled.

nah, there's a small list somewhere of some recognizable samples, but there no actual Beach Boys samples. they're just some of his influences. the only song that might even have a Beach Boys sample would be the less Beach Boys style song like Search for Delicious.

i've also wondered if they pile a ton of effects on their vocals live.

from song to song, differing amounts of delay.

do their early records have a ton of vocal effects, too?

yeah, but in varying ways. From like Spirit They've Gone-Here Comes the Indian they have a lot of intense vocoder and synth filters, very thin sounding vocals. On Sung Tongs there's a lot of pitch altering that fades throughout and from Feels on it's just been some reverb.

when i say sample - i don't even mean like a loop of chords or anything - i think he may take a single snare hit from one song - a tambourine from another, etc. of course now with modern digital technology, you can do that and then create beats from them.

it's funny to me that they would give sample credit to something as simple as a jawharp bit - why not just find a jawharp and try to recreate it? (unless there's more they're sampling in the song i dont' realize since i don't know the original song)

when i say sample - i don't even mean like a loop of chords or anything - i think he may take a single snare hit from one song - a tambourine from another, etc. of course now with modern digital technology, you can do that and then create beats from them.

it's funny to me that they would give sample credit to something as simple as a jawharp bit - why not just find a jawharp and try to recreate it? (unless there's more they're sampling in the song i dont' realize since i don't know the original song)

i don't think the album was so sample heavy that he would sample like one snare smack. he does some guitar playing on it, too. I donno, I never got the whole 'Pet Sounds' reference everyone made. Like, to me, Take Pills and Bros are the only ones I could relate back to that album, but songs like I'm Not or Ponytail or Good Girl/Carrots to me are more like hip hop songs with the bass removed or something.

for the jaw harp, well, 1. jaw harp is a bitch to play, and 2. the jaw harp sample has like a 9/4 time signature and the whole song is based around that rhythm. it was used with a pretty specific idea in mind.

The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson comparison will never end unless Panda Bear changes his singing technique.

He phrases (if that's the right word) just like Brian Wilson.

I have also wondered if the movie, Willy Wonka (gene wilder), is a big influence on them.

On Strawberry Jam I'm pretty sure they sampled the sound of that one machine - the one that is like a car wash - I forget what it's called.

Then the descending held out notes on No More Runnin' make me think of when the girl goes down the eggdicator.

After listening some more, I think track 7 - Guys Eyes - could be cut and not effect the album much. There's nothing terribly unique about it in comparison to the other tracks - kinda MPP filler or EP cut.

• 3 weeks later...
Fuck those people on stubhub selling the tickets for 60-100 dollars....they are 20 dollar tickets...

one dude has 'up to ten' to sell.....

what people will do to make a buck.

anyone have an extra for dc?? they didn't even release the date of the on-sale. they are rumored to add another show though. mpp on vinyl is freaking unreal. best i've heard in a while, right up there with yhf.

i recently got into panda bear. love the brian wilsonish stuff on there. is animal collective like this?

it's funny, brian wilson is an artist whom i like the folks influenced by him more than his output :mellow

i recently got into panda bear. love the brian wilsonish stuff on there. is animal collective like this?

it's funny, brian wilson is an artist whom i like the folks influenced by him more than his output :mellow

the new album is. although it's more synthetic sounding musically, but the vocals are very similar. the other albums are all great too, but you'd do best to listen to the new one first and then work backwards, because the older albums are slightly less accessible at first.

the new album is. although it's more synthetic sounding musically, but the vocals are very similar. the other albums are all great too, but you'd do best to listen to the new one first and then work backwards, because the older albums are slightly less accessible at first.

the newest album just gets better with each listen. they really did an almost perfect job on this thing.

I was luke-warm on the Panda Bear album after a friend recommended it. Then he raved about this album and I gave it a shot. After 3 listens, I can hear where some of the hype is coming from and I can appreciate it, but I haven't connected with it. Perhaps it's just not my thing. I'll give it a few more listens.

I was luke-warm on the Panda Bear album after a friend recommended it. Then he raved about this album and I gave it a shot. After 3 listens, I can hear where some of the hype is coming from and I can appreciate it, but I haven't connected with it. Perhaps it's just not my thing. I'll give it a few more listens.

are you an AC fan in general? their stuff is pretty tough to "get into", i guess you could say. took me almost a year of listening, then putting it down in disgust, then picking it up 4 months later and giving it another shot.