new Animal Collective album

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water Curses is not really mind-blowing...and could be difficult to get into, I personally love Street Flash and Cobwebs, as well as the title track, but I think if you are interested in really getting into them, you have to take your time and sit down with 'Feels'...I really think it is their best and probably their most rewarding when you 'get it'....gl hf

So this leaked and I'll be the first on here to say that it's probably their best record. It's remarkably produced, melodic, catchy, dance-able, and still very Animal Collective. It's simply amazing to hear Avey and Panda Bear working together vocally again. I'm just in love

giving this my first listen...

never liked this band, but this isn't giving me a headache like past records have, so that has to account for something!

is it just me or is the production on this kinda muted and a bit distant? ie: on My Girls? sounds like i'm listening to it through a blanket almost.

edit: hmm... Guys Eyes might be the first AC song i can say i outright love...

giving this my first listen...

never liked this band, but this isn't giving me a headache like past records have, so that has to account for something!

is it just me or is the production on this kinda muted and a bit distant? ie: on My Girls? sounds like i'm listening to it through a blanket almost.

edit: hmm... Guys Eyes might be the first AC song i can say i outright love...

well, part of it is that it's a 160 rip, so the quality isn't crystal. I've heard My Girls that leaked early very high quality and it is very clear and the bass is very nice.

man, maybe Ive just become a bigger fan over the past few months than I thought, but why aren't people freaking out over this album? I like it a ton more than a lot of recent acclaimed albums and find it incredibly unique.

well, part of it is that it's a 160 rip, so the quality isn't crystal. I've heard My Girls that leaked early very high quality and it is very clear and the bass is very nice.

man, maybe Ive just become a bigger fan over the past few months than I thought, but why aren't people freaking out over this album? I like it a ton more than a lot of recent acclaimed albums and find it incredibly unique.

i don't really find AC THAT unique i guess... well, original moreso than unique. they've always just kinda reminded me of a more nob-twiddling Beach Boys.

as for the quality rip, hopefully you're right and the real thing sounds way better

i don't really find AC THAT unique i guess... well, original moreso than unique. they've always just kinda reminded me of a more nob-twiddling Beach Boys.

as for the quality rip, hopefully you're right and the real thing sounds way better

knob twiddling beach boys? :\ I donno. I don't see anything Beach Boysie about this record aside from harmonies. the rest of it is completely contemporary..blips, bass, kick drums, interesting percussion, samples that float in and out.

but even the ways they do vocals on this record isn't very similar to the Beach Boys. I mean, if that's what you think, but I just don't see it. Especially on Spirit or Strawberry Jam it would be hard for me to say that they were a Beach Boys influenced band.

I have never understood the Beach Boys comparisons either. Person Pitch - definitely. Animal Collective - not so much outside of, like you said, the harmonies.

it's in the production & layering mostly. sure the instruments they use are quite a bit different, but to say that the BB's are not an influence on both bands is simply untrue imo, and I'm quite positive the band would even agree (i know Panda Bear likes Pet Sounds a lot least)

http://www.supmag.com/checkit/archives/200..._bear_10_q.html

So many of the harmonies have a profoundly Brian Wilson feel, from the harmonies in seventh chords to the old plate-sounding reverb. Was creating that sound of ethereal innocence something you were intentionally after for this record?

The first Beach Boys album I heard was pet sounds and that was in college so about 8 years ago at this point. My good friends Brian Hall and Mitch Wimbish played it for me and I really liked it. I've heard most everything else, especially the later things (up until around Kocomo I guess) from the Animal Collective boys and Eric Copeland and Scott Miller out in Sacramento. I don't really know the albums like those guys do but there are lots of songs I like. I certainly didn't set out to make songs or to sing in ways that sounded like them, but I can see where people are coming from for sure and obviously its intensely flattering to be likened to them in any way because their jams are so good. As far as reverb goes it's just a quality of sound that I've always really responded to even before I'd heard music that really employed it in any heavy kind of way. I think there was a time when pretty much all music was experienced in a reverby environment (in churches and concert halls and that sort of thing-even though that reverb was the natural kind) and I'd like to think it was setup that way to encourage some kind of spiritual altered state. In a lot of ways, I'd like my music to do the same thing. On the most basic level I'd just like people to feel good when they listen to the jams.

now i never said they were a Beach Boys ripoff, or owed everything to them or anything silly like that... i just don't find their music nearly as "unique" as a lot of their fanboys seem to claim (you should read some of the garbage they spout over on atease, it's kinda sad actually). much like Kid A wasn't really that unique or original either.

one thing i do like about this new record vs. past ones is the songs actually feel like fully fleshed out songs and not a lot of childish melodies (which i realize was a big attraction for some, but it was a turn off for me). and i like that even huge AC fanboys are saying this is their most consistent album to date, which kinda tells me i wasn't crazy regarding past AC records...

:stunned

I should clarify to say that I understand to a degree, but not to the degree to which it is generally lumped on them. At this point, Beach Boy comparisons are a dime a dozen and there are literally hundreds or bands better suited to be stuck with them than Animal Collective.

Guest Hollinger.
it's in the production & layering mostly. sure the instruments they use are quite a bit different, but to say that the BB's are not an influence on both bands is simply untrue imo, and I'm quite positive the band would even agree (i know Panda Bear likes Pet Sounds a lot least)

http://www.supmag.com/checkit/archives/200..._bear_10_q.html

now i never said they were a Beach Boys ripoff, or owed everything to them or anything silly like that... i just don't find their music nearly as "unique" as a lot of their fanboys seem to claim (you should read some of the garbage they spout over on atease, it's kinda sad actually). much like Kid A wasn't really that unique or original either.

one thing i do like about this new record vs. past ones is the songs actually feel like fully fleshed out songs and not a lot of childish melodies (which i realize was a big attraction for some, but it was a turn off for me). and i like that even huge AC fanboys are saying this is their most consistent album to date, which kinda tells me i wasn't crazy regarding past AC records...

God the Animal Collective threads over on atease make me want to start a holocaust.

I do not get the Beach Boys comparison at all. Is there an influence? Sure thing, but no more or less then there is an influence from other sources (Pink Floyd, solo Syd Barret, Grateful Dead, etc.) that is unless you are talking about Person Pitch only.

Solace, if the apparent Beach Boys rip has been your biggest pet peeve then you should check out their earlier stuff, namely Sung Tongs, Here Comes the Indian and Campfire Songs. You can also check out Spirit . . . if you want but it might be pretty difficult to get through. It is essentially a love or hate it album.

I can certainly hear The Beach Boys in what they do in the sense that they have a number of vocal parts at the same time which move about in the arrangment from backing to lead (i'm not explaining that right, but basically the vocal parts are often very fluid in terms of where they fit in the mix) - as opposed to lead vocals with people doing the conventional ooh and ahh noises in the background. Basically - it's not boring - and some effort has been made to actually arrange the vocals rather than merely sing the lead melody. And, I can't see how sounding like The Beach Boys is a bad thing in any sense. If anyone can actually name a band that people say sound like The Beach Boys that are shit, I'd like to hear it.