new Animal Collective album

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't fathom how anyone could not like it really, but then maybe i'm looking at it from the viewpoint of their other albums, and how this sounds a lot more commericial in many ways. maybe it's still not inviting enough for mass appeal.

I can definitely fathom people not liking Animal Collective ever - even with this record. They are still a bit weird sonically.

it's on the cusp... but i think it would easily fail the "wife test" for me :D

All of their albums have failed the wife test. There are very few albums that survive the wife test that are a little noisy. The latest victim was Grizzly Bear's Horn of Plenty.

this album really does sound good to me right now. i can't fathom how anyone could not like it really, but then maybe i'm looking at it from the viewpoint of their other albums, and how this sounds a lot more commericial in many ways. maybe it's still not inviting enough for mass appeal.

I was initially disappointed with the album. Or rather disappointed with the first leak - the high and mid ranges were all murky, couldn't decipher vocals, etc. It's only from yesterday, when the legit download to the vinyl buyers was made available, and the subsequent leak, that it's all started to make sense, perfect sense at that. I urge anyone interested in listening to either buy it, or grab a leak of that.

It's now so much sharper, brighter and more crystalline, and given that they're heading off in pop, ambient, techno territories, that's exactly how it should sound.

I was surprised with it because I thought, through seeing them live and listening to bootlegs, that Brother Sport and My Girls would be the standout cuts. They're great, but I'm really taken with Daily Routine, Lion In A Coma and, especially, No More Runnin (which is pretty damn near perfect).

i didn't even know there was a good cd version out. i'm going looking for that now then. really i'm just waiting to get an actual cd of it, cos my cd player/amp ect... always sound a million times better than any mp3 i've ever had. but, that'll have to wait until next week.

my current favs happen to be bluish (which i loved even from that little clip that leaked ages ago), guys eyes, and summertime clothes.

i didn't even know there was a good cd version out. i'm going looking for that now then. really i'm just waiting to get an actual cd of it, cos my cd player/amp ect... always sound a million times better than any mp3 i've ever had. but, that'll have to wait until next week.

my current favs happen to be bluish (which i loved even from that little clip that leaked ages ago), guys eyes, and summertime clothes.

I don't know whether the mp3's are sourced from a CD, they're just downloads. The vinyl came out on Tuesday in the States, and were given a password to download the album for free. The version I've got comes from that. It sounds worlds better, there's much more clarity around everything in the mix, and is markedly different from the Christmas-time leak.

I think there's only one track that isn't at the same level as the others, and that's Also Frightened. I still think it's good, but compared to the rest it pales; the vocals on the verse are a little too mundane and bored-sounding.

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an album end-to-end as much as this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started listening to this. I'm amazed at the Beach boys comparisons I read because that is actually the first thing I thought of (before I even read it). Sounds like what Brian Wilson would do if he had been born 40 years later. I really like it but 9.7 at pitchfork is silly. I don't know if I have a bad copy because it's so painfully reverby and noisy I can barely hear the vocals.

Sounds like an album that will grow on me. Some of it was down right transcendent.

I went to my local shop yesterday to buy this on LP to see what all the fuss is about and they didn't have it. I asked at the counter and the guy basically laughed. He said not only were they sold out, but they sold out the first day the LP was released. And not only were they sold out, but the entire first pressing of the album is sold out. He said there is another pressing and they should be receiving more soon.

They sold 100 albums on the day it came out. He said he's never seen this much hoopla over an LP.

Just started listening to this. I'm amazed at the Beach boys comparisons I read because that is actually the first thing I thought of (before I even read it). Sounds like what Brian Wilson would do if he had been born 40 years later. I really like it but 9.7 at pitchfork is silly. I don't know if I have a bad copy because it's so painfully reverby and noisy I can barely hear the vocals.

Sounds like an album that will grow on me. Some of it was down right transcendent.

cool. a new recruit! probably the thing i love best about this album, and the band's music in general, is that modern music - when it's being experimental and new - tends to be very melancholic in tone, whereas nearly everything about animal collective's music is joyous. lots of people call it childish, but the same thing is levelled at brian wilson, and the beach boys at times - the thing is, it's very difficult to over complicate and intellectualise happiness, you're not really think about too much when you're happy - whereas you think about too much when you're sad. so happy music is never going to appear to be that deep and meaningful, eventhough it offers the listener far more, at the end of the day.

I went to my local shop yesterday to buy this on LP to see what all the fuss is about and they didn't have it. I asked at the counter and the guy basically laughed. He said not only were they sold out, but they sold out the first day the LP was released. And not only were they sold out, but the entire first pressing of the album is sold out. He said there is another pressing and they should be receiving more soon.

They sold 100 albums on the day it came out. He said he's never seen this much hoopla over an LP.

you're brave, buying an album before hearing it. it's good to hear that they're selling well. you really should try and get a copy somehow, soon, even if it's an illegal mp3 version.

They clocked in at no. 26 in the UK album hit parade. That's worrying ten places below Roger Whittaker. Nevermind, to actually see an Animal Collective album chart make me very happy. Yes, I'm easily pleased!

Touching on the Beach Boys allusions, I heard an album playback on the radio last week which went track-by-track through MPP with Brian/Geo and Dave/Avey providing commentary. The reaction when the interviewer referenced the Beach Boys was one of bemusement and I got the impression that they hear it a lot but don't really subscribe to it. They could hear how people would, particularly with some of Panda's phrasing being similar to Brian Wilson's. They seemed quite ambivalent to the association. There was a passive suggestion that the Beach Boys similarities could be as a result of people's (mostly reviewers) limited frame of reference, and that they felt it most in European interviews, when the interviewers would equate 'harmonies' to 'being inspired by the Beach Boys'. For the record they said they were more inspired by the Everly Brothers, Fleetwood Mac and old doo-wop bands.

They enjoyed the Beach Boys, but claim that they're not as significant or as important to them as people think. In contrast, they, again particularly in Europe, said that when they mentioned that the Beatles were an inspiration to the sound they're often met with exasparated looks.

As has been said before, to me they seem to just place more importance on harmonies and vocal melodies than most other contemporary bands do, in that they spend time arranging them, consciously use "vocal tricks" (as they put it) to create a different feel, and look to compliment and juxtapose each of the lead vocal lines.

I can definitely hear the Beatles thing on the new album. I think there similar descending vocal harmonies on Also Frightened as there is on Paperback Writer.

I'll post up a link to the radio playback if anyone's interested. I can't access the radio station's site at the moment (it's banned from my work) but they have archives and hopefully it's captured there. It does give a valuable insight into not only the process but also what they were looking to achieve from MPP.

i think they definately sound at times like the beatles on this new album. i'm sure, i've said that before - if not, i should have done. as for them not actually trying to sound like the beach boys, that doesn't mean they don't. i think from what you've just said - about the everly brothers and doo-wop etc... that's exactly the sort of thing that the beach boys were inspired by - which is why they probably sound like each other so much - in terms of what they do with vocal arrangements.

i'll like to hear that radio show.

i think they definately sound at times like the beatles on this new album. i'm sure, i've said that before - if not, i should have done. as for them not actually trying to sound like the beach boys, that doesn't mean they don't. i think from what you've just said - about the everly brothers and doo-wop etc... that's exactly the sort of thing that the beach boys were inspired by - which is why they probably sound like each other so much - in terms of what they do with vocal arrangements.

i'll like to hear that radio show.

Hmm I understand what you're saying, that as a result of mutual inspirations AC end up in a similar territory as the Beach Boys as a result of a happy accident (or unhappy if you hate either band). It's just that beyond them both liking vocal harmonies and arrangements I can't really hear any explicit similarities (someone like the Incredible String Band, on the other hand, is a different matter - not on MPP though). It's more of a case them using a similar technique/process than the music sounding similar. Which I guess is a bit like saying My Bloody Valentine and Metallica sound similar because they both like really loud guitars. I'm being facetious with that last statement, y'understand. Same process, different results.

I have the interview sans the music on mp3, so I'll upload for those of you who are quite familiar with the tunes - which I guess you are Mr. Backpack.

Hmm I understand what you're saying, that as a result of mutual inspirations AC end up in a similar territory as the Beach Boys as a result of a happy accident (or unhappy if you hate either band). It's just that beyond them both liking vocal harmonies and arrangements I can't really hear any explicit similarities (someone like the Incredible String Band, on the other hand, is a different matter - not on MPP though). It's more of a case them using a similar technique/process than the music sounding similar. Which I guess is a bit like saying My Bloody Valentine and Metallica sound similar because they both like really loud guitars. I'm being facetious with that last statement, y'understand. Same process, different results.

I have the interview sans the music on mp3, so I'll upload for those of you who are quite familiar with the tunes - which I guess you are Mr. Backpack.

maybe not musically, as such. but more than just the vocals i think that whole sort of "Teenage Symphony To God" - ecstatic feel, to a lot of both band's music, is where i see a similarity. i've got no doubt they don't sit there listening to the beach boys, trying to copy them, because if you listen to their music just from a scientific point of view, there's not that much the same. it's just that i get the feeling how both bands approach/approached their music and what music means/meant to them is very similar.

it's not like i only know a few bands to reference when talking about new music (as you know), it's just i think if i was trying to explain them to people i'd certainly have to mention the beach boys when doing so.

cheers in advance for the mp3.

I like the point about it being happy music. I think the happy melodies along with the harmonies, the high vocals, and the odd song structures is what make me think of "Smile" type Brian Wilson. Interesting they don't see the comparison, looking forward to checking out that interview link.

It was also somewhat similar (to me) as the Dungen album from last year (or the year before) which I would recommend if you have not heard it. I think it was "Ta det lungt".

Just found out they are playing the Boulder Theater here in Colorado on June 2nd. How are these guys live?

they don't really sound like they do on their records. and you might find that they are playing a whole new bunch of songs you've never heard before by the time you see them, cos they write music on tour and play it live to work out the tunes, then go in the studio and by the time the album's come out they've moved on to the next thing.

at the moment they are using a lot of samplers rather than playing much. but they normally have a guitarist in the band who's been absent for a while, but may come back in time for june.

here's a good live clip from 2007 to give you an idea of what they're like: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HXQ1ybwBM

you should also have a listen to all their older albums (8 more before this one). feels, strawberry jam being the best, and also water curses ep is great too.

Just found out they are playing the Boulder Theater here in Colorado on June 2nd. How are these guys live?

I caught them last week in London. For Animal Collective it was about as straightforward as it gets, in that they, quite unexpectedly, played the bulk of Merriweather, one new song and a few reworkings (one quite radical) of some older material. As for how they sound, the Merriweather material is very similar to the records. They sometimes alter things slightly, e.g. Daily Routine's slow outro becomes much slower. It's really in the old material that they change things round, almost unrecognisably so, and that material is often been given a reboot to make it more contemporary and more in the spirit of MPP. Winters Love and Who Could Win A Rabbit being two which have benefited from this approach.

However, they're going to be touring these shores again in March when it's expected that more of the new unrecorded material will surface, which by the time they get to Boulder would probably be a lot more refined and sound better for it. As for indications as to what the new material will be like, judging from the new track I heard, still samplely/synth based and still upbeat but slightly funkier. There is a possibility that Deakin (erstwhile guitarist) may be returning to the fold by that time.