new Animal Collective album

I do not get the Beach Boys comparison at all. Is there an influence? Sure thing, but no more or less then there is an influence from other sources (Pink Floyd, solo Syd Barret, Grateful Dead, etc.) that is unless you are talking about Person Pitch only.

Solace, if the apparent Beach Boys rip has been your biggest pet peeve then you should check out their earlier stuff, namely Sung Tongs, Here Comes the Indian and Campfire Songs. You can also check out Spirit . . . if you want but it might be pretty difficult to get through. It is essentially a love or hate it album.

never once said it was a pet peeve, just an obvious influence

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never once said it was a pet peeve, just an obvious influence

You are right, my bad.

Still, to brand them as a "nob-twiddling Beach Boys" is just so inaccurate on many levels. Have you actually heard Sung Tongs, Campfire Songs, Here Comes the Indian, or even Feels? I am not saying this to sound negative and it probably sounds that way, but you should really check out some of their older stuff or at least re-visit it if you already checked it out in the past.

this album deserves a better thread.

Yes it does.

You are right, my bad.

Still, to brand them as a "nob-twiddling Beach Boys" is just so inaccurate on many levels. Have you actually heard Sung Tongs, Campfire Songs, Here Comes the Indian, or even Feels? I am not saying this to sound negative and it probably sounds that way, but you should really check out some of their older stuff or at least re-visit it if you already checked it out in the past.

i've heard Sung, Indian, Feels, and everything since. nothing else however. as for my comment, well it certainly applies somewhat with this latest record and a few of their other recent ones, i can't speak for those i haven't heard obviously. it also wasn't meant as a diss, just what my overall view on their recent records can be summed up as.

I listened to this for the first time today. Still don't really get it. I'm fine with people digging them, as I like some of their stuff just fine, but all this album of the decade/best band of our time talk is completely ridiculous.

I listened to this for the first time today. Still don't really get it. I'm fine with people digging them, as I like some of their stuff just fine, but all this album of the decade/best band of our time talk is completely ridiculous.

see... that's my issue too

i can totally understand their appeal, but the accolade & slobbering by many folks just boggles my mind.

maybe i don't do enough drugs

see... that's my issue too

i can totally understand their appeal, but the accolade & slobbering by many folks just boggles my mind.

maybe i don't do enough drugs

I think the problem is you don't do the hard drugs.

As for the best of decades accolade,... really?

Even as a fan I'm surprised.

the vinyl rip of this makes the vocals sound much clearer now, if anyone wasn't happy with the 160 rip.

yeah...

proves my theory that the old rip was terrible... the sound isn't all muffled and shit.

now i can finally enjoy the album as it was intended :D

this is the first Animal Collective record I can honestly say i've enjoyed almost all the way through.

would def give it somewhere in the 8.5 range, which is saying a lot considering my past disinterest in the band.

would def give it somewhere in the 8.5 range, which is saying a lot considering my past disinterest in the band.

That's 1.1 below Pitchfork! For shame, Mr. Solace, for shame. :D

Actually, should anyone actually know how this decimalized scoring system works, could they let me know? For example, in the case of Animal Collective and Pitchfork, what separates a 9.6 album from a 9.5 album? Isn't that beyond splitting hairs, and more akin to splitting the dandruff on the hairs?

That's 1.1 below Pitchfork! For shame, Mr. Solace, for shame. :D

Actually, should anyone actually know how this decimalized scoring system works, could they let me know? For example, in the case of Animal Collective and Pitchfork, what separates a 9.6 album from a 9.5 album? Isn't that beyond splitting hairs, and more akin to splitting the dandruff on the hairs?

oh it totally is a pretty lame scoring system, i don't think many will disagree w/ you there ;)

it's not for people like you to know. simply rest assured in the knowledge that some people understand it. i'm not saying i'm one of them, but i'm not saying i'm not either.

this album really does sound good to me right now. i can't fathom how anyone could not like it really, but then maybe i'm looking at it from the viewpoint of their other albums, and how this sounds a lot more commericial in many ways. maybe it's still not inviting enough for mass appeal.

it's not for people like you to know. simply rest assured in the knowledge that some people understand it. i'm not saying i'm one of them, but i'm not saying i'm not either.

this album really does sound good to me right now. i can't fathom how anyone could not like it really, but then maybe i'm looking at it from the viewpoint of their other albums, and how this sounds a lot more commericial in many ways. maybe it's still not inviting enough for mass appeal.

it's on the cusp... but i think it would easily fail the "wife test" for me :D

i need to stop listening to it though, i'm losing some interest... but i think it's more the candy syndrome... ie: too much of a good thing