It's time for a New Election Thread

It's interesting hearing Republicans I know who are resigned to defeat. One co-worker yesterday was bemoaning "on Nov. 4 this country is 'really' going to be in trouble."

It makes me wondering what sort of witch burning and boiling oil her fervent imagination is churning over.

Probably the same type that rationalizes its way out of the past eight years and the whole "Rovian" "ratfucker" approach to facts.

Yes, only conservatives are prone to hyperbole. All criticism of GWB and JMcCain is completely rational.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is hard not to be hung up on the idea of Sarah Palin. Speaking as a person, an American, I find it so troubling that a candidate who only speaks in catchphrases and colloquialisms (sp?) be allowed to do so on the national and, moreso, the world stage and still be considered abolutely ideal as a candidate for the highest office in the land. That's not me being elitist or whatever catchphrase umbrella-term, dumbing down the arguement way you wish to paint me as -- that's just how I feel. There is absolutely zero substance in anything I have ever heard Mrs. Palin say. I know that McCain and Obama both speak in political double talk frequently, but there is some substance every once in a while.

We have had 8 years with a president who has sounded - for lack of a better word - unintelligent on both the national and world stages. If we are still an alleged super power I just don't think that is ok. I think it is embarressing. Sarah Palin makes W look like a gifted orator.

It's sad such a person has made her way to the front with qualified individuals left behind. As an American I would be ashamed to have her lead this country.

Yes, only conservatives are prone to hyperbole. All criticism of GWB and JMcCain is completely rational.

We are, as may have been mentioned, in the worst economic situation since the great depression (this could make it, by comparison, the "not-so-great depression. I would say anyone who says, "now we're really in trouble," is exercising either hyperbole or delusion.

Sure..all those people who hate black people are voting Obama

LouieB

Only white people can be racist. You heard it here first, straight from LouieB's experienced, all knowing mouth (e-mouth).

This is one of my biggest problems with people who complain that white people might not vote for Obama because he's black. They ignore everyone who might vote for him because he is black.

We are, as may have been mentioned, in the worst economic situation since the great depression (this could make it, by comparison, the "not-so-great depression. I would say anyone who says, "now we're really in trouble," is exercising either hyperbole or delusion.

Or maybe he thinks it's about to get worse?

This is one of my biggest problems with people who complain that white people might not vote for Obama because he's black. They ignore everyone who might vote for him because he is black.

Great point. I recall getting into huge arguments with people who said their reason for liking/voting for George W. was because of his religion, and not much else. Same goes for people who will support Palin because she's a woman. These people need to be judged on many other traits other than these, but this is America, its all about the image, and not much more.

Great point. I recall getting into huge arguments with people who said their reason for liking/voting for George W. was because of his religion, and not much else. Same goes for people who will support Palin because she's a woman. These people need to be judged on many other traits other than these, but this is America, its all about the image, and not much more.

I agree, but there is a lot of dangerous hate and anger being expressed from white racist voters right now. We are not seeing this behavior at Obama/Biden rallies.

I agree, but there is a lot of dangerous hate and anger being expressed from white racist voters right now. We are not seeing this behavior at Obama/Biden rallies.

And an Obama supporter a page ago said that he fears there will be riots if Obama loses. Racist idiots exist on both sides and come in all shapes and colors. Don't turn a blind eye to any of them.

I think that is a totally separate issue. Putting aside the fact that I don't believe that he is truly religious for a second.... religion has no place in government. That is what people took issue with. I can give a rat's fuck what religion a President is or isn't. Talking about having conversations with God and being pointed in the right direction is what I have seen people take issue with as it pertains to religion and GWB.

And an Obama supporter a page ago said that he fears there will be riots if Obama loses. Racist idiots exist on both sides and come in all shapes and colors. Don't turn a blind eye to any of them.

I hope you don't assume that everyone that might riot would be black. I would certainly take part in a protest if it looked like Obama was jobbed. Riots are another matter for me personally of course, but not for others I imagine.

Saying there may be riots by stupid idiots, and seeing stupid idiots at M/P rallies is different. One is happening, the other is said to possibly happen. I'm aware it could, but such hate is coming from only one side @ rallies right now. No such evidence has surfaced for Obama/biden.

I'm fully aware racism exists from all people. As a white chick I have expereinced racism.I have also been a party to racism. I know it lurks from all sides of the globe.

Saying there may be riots by stupid idiots, and seeing stupid idiots at M/P rallies is different. One is happening, the other is said to possibly happen. I'm aware it could, but such hate is coming from only one side @ rallies right now. No such evidence has surfaced for Obama/biden.

That is clean and cutting analysis. About every second or third page someone else ups the critical thinking anti. These forums have been great.

I hope you don't assume that everyone that might riot would be black. I would certainly take part in a protest if it looked like Obama was jobbed. Riots are another matter for me personally of course, but not for others I imagine.

A lot of people are worried there will be rioting if he loses no matter what. My uncle, for one, said he's leaving the city (pittsburgh) on election day because he's afraid of rioting. In his case, it's probably just thinly veiled racism, but I think a lot of people are legitimately worried about that. And I'm guessing they aren't worried about 40 year old white women rioting.

I think I'm getting too far away from my point. I don't expect there to be rioting. But I do know for a fact that there are plenty of people voting for and against Obama because of his race, and I feel like a lot of people in the media and on the left are ignoring the possibility of people voting for him because he's black while decrying those who won't.

I don't think the potential rioting via an Obama loss would be firstly racially charged. I think it would be because the potential rioters would believe the election was rigged.

I agree. :thumbup Also, we need to consider the use of the word riot when it could mean protest. Sometimes when people of color gather to protest it scares us white folks and is chalked up to being a riot.

If Obama loses you will see many shades of color protesting. I would be there.

According to a story in USA today Newell Plumbing, the coompany Joe the unlicensed plumber wants to purchase has around $100,000 in annual revenues, not income, revenues. Also Joe the Unlicensed plumber has not really seriously looked into buying the business, he has (his quote) "no specific plans to buy" and has only "talked generally" with owner Al Newell.

Soa little more of the onion is peeled away, but I am pretty sure mccain & co will consinue to push the joe the plumber myth over the joe the unlicensed plumber truth.

A lot of people are worried there will be rioting if he loses no matter what. My uncle, for one, said he's leaving the city (pittsburgh) on election day because he's afraid of rioting. In his case, it's probably just thinly veiled racism, but I think a lot of people are legitimately worried about that. And I'm guessing they aren't worried about 40 year old white women rioting.

I think I'm getting too far away from my point. I don't expect there to be rioting. But I do know for a fact that there are plenty of people voting for and against Obama because of his race, and I feel like a lot of people in the media and on the left are ignoring the possibility of people voting for him because he's black while decrying those who won't.

48, sucker :pirate

Sure there likely are a fairly equal number of people voting for/against Obama strictly because of his race. But there are far more people voting either for/against him for other reasons (and that includes race), like how they view his policies. I am voting for him solely because I think he will be the best president for our country.

They are already looking at a number of House and Senate races and contemplating the trickle down impact of blacks -- many newly registered voting for the first time -- who will end up voting a straight ticket, as they vote so they can tell their children and grandchildren that they voted for the first black president.