The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping you were going to say that you had time travel figured out.

:lol If I ever do you will be among the first to know.

There's something about just Billy as the sole drummer and the snap of his swingin' beat from that era that works really well for Eyes then, too.

The era when just Billy is drumming is fantastic. That dude is one hell of a drummer.

>I did notice whenever there was a big change in the direction of the music coming Phil would speak into his microphone (as he does with P&F) and then the chords/tempo would change.

It's fascinating to watch Phil direct the band through the silent microphone. I'd love to hear a SBD recording of a Phil show that includes Phil's comments to the band. In an interview a while back, Larry Campbell said he was waiting for a cue from Phil during a jam and Phil's guidance was something like, "We're all afloat at sea."

What the hell kind of bass is that? It looks like something Les Claypool would play.

It has L.E.D. lights on the frets. Looks really cool when they play with little lighting.

It's funny, in that gear book, the phrase "some roadies closet" is used more than once - one of which, is Phil talking about a Fender Jazz Bass that he had, and that disappeared.

That makes me think of those scanner tapes that I have read about.

I think I've posted about here before, but I've heard (but no longer own) the monitor mix for the Deer Creek show where there had been a death threat against Jerry. It is definitely interesting to hear the banter and dark humor amongst the band members. I don't recall any cues during the jams though.

It has L.E.D. lights on the frets. Looks really cool when they play with little lighting.

Is it just me or does this bass not have as much well bass to it. When phil drops a bomb with it, it doesn't seem as earth shattering. But then again maybe the lights had me distracted.

And as for Jackie Greene, go home already. I was just listening to the soundboard form the warfeild and it sounds like he just drags. I've seen five shows with him three were great, one of the others was the worst phil show i've seen. Nice voice, but he songs add nothing to the mix (unlike the ryan adams material), and his guitar playing doesn't go anywhere.

I think I've posted about here before, but I've heard (but no longer own) the monitor mix for the Deer Creek show where there had been a death threat against Jerry. It is definitely interesting to hear the banter and dark humor amongst the band members. I don't recall any cues during the jams though.

The cue thing is a phil and friends deal, the dead didn't need that inspiration.

I figure they are out there somewhere - I'll check it out sometime.

Playing "Dire Wolf" that night was a big nod to dark humor. I've always gotten a kick out of that.

The cue thing is a phil and friends deal, the dead didn't need that inspiration.

?

Jackie has plenty of talent and he's come a long way with the band in the past year. I don't think he hampers the others. Ryan Adams with the band was another issue. I don't think it was a good fit although I appreciated the fact that it was off-the-cuff and raw and all.

Jackie has plenty of talent and he's come a long way with the band in the past year. I don't think he hampers the others. Ryan Adams with the band was another issue. I don't think it was a good fit although I appreciated the fact that it was off-the-cuff and raw and all.

Jackie is a good rock guitarist but he doesn't add much, even though the dead psu show was sloppy bobby is way more interesting on rhythm. Plus I think Larry needs someone stronger to play off of, the band sounded so much better with Sless and Scofeild.

Ryan Adams I thought was lacking with phil but I think the songs of his that phil picked up sound great in a phil set, where as the jackie material doesn't go anywhere. At june chicago phil show his Riot In Cell Block #9 was the first time I thought one of his songs fit in and actually added to the set.

As for the comments about the cues, I was referring to how Phil now guides his bands throughout the set, phil wasn't doing this with the dead.

Jackie is a good rock guitarist but he doesn't add much, even though the dead psu show was sloppy bobby is way more interesting on rhythm. Plus I think Larry needs someone stronger to play off of, the band sounded so much better with Sless and Scofeild.

Ryan Adams I thought was lacking with phil but I think the songs of his that phil picked up sound great in a phil set, where as the jackie material doesn't go anywhere. At june chicago phil show his Riot In Cell Block #9 was the first time I thought one of his songs fit in and actually added to the set.

As for the comments about the cues, I was referring to how Phil now guides his bands throughout the set, phil wasn't doing this with the dead.

I agree with the Jackie assessment. Also agree with the RA assessment. It was an interesting collaboration but it didn't really work for me.

Got'cha on the "cues," too. I think I misunderstood your intent.

I hope we all agree on one thing: the uber P&F lineup was the one with Herring and Haynes. that lineup during '01 was one of the best bands I've ever seen - any style, anywhere.

I hope we all agree on one thing: the uber P&F lineup was the one with Herring and Haynes. that lineup during '01 was one of the best bands I've ever seen - any style, anywhere.

That was the only post-Jerry line-up (P&F, Ratdog, The Dead, tOOs) I thought was any good. I am an unapologetic Jerry fan though and have a hard time appreciating hearing anyone play that music without him.

That was the only post-Jerry line-up (P&F, Ratdog, The Dead, tOOs) I thought was any good. I am an unapologetic Jerry fan though and have a hard time appreciating hearing anyone play that music without him.

I concur. Although I have seen Warren bring the house down with stuff like "Sugaree".

Recommend a few sbds to check out, I never really have dug through the solo shows (that is until I started seeing phil). Personnaly I really liked the sless/cambell/osby/bracco/molo lineup.

Another bit of magic - I was just reading about the Philo Stomp in the Taper's book:

Link

October 20 - October 26, 2008

Welcome back to the Tapers Section. This week we've got about 17 years of Grateful Dead music to explore, so without further ado, on to the music

Recommend a few sbds to check out, I never really have dug through the solo shows (that is until I started seeing phil). Personnaly I really liked the sless/cambell/osby/bracco/molo lineup.

Don't know if SBD sources exist, but this is specifically the show I was referring to above.

10/25/00 (Wed) Fillmore Auditorium - Denver, CO

Set 1: Shakedown Street > New Speedway Boogie, Into the Mystic, Ramble On Rose, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Wharf Rat > Cold Rain & Snow

Set 2: Unbroken Chain > Stella Blue > I Know You Rider, St. Stephen > China Cat Sunflower > Black Peter, Viola Lee Blues > Golden Road To Unlimited Devotion* > Viola Lee Blues, E: Attics of My Life

Comment: into Mountain Jam tease.

Lineup: Phil Lesh - bass and vocals, John Molo - drums, Rob Barraco - keyboards, Warren Haynes - guitar and vocals, Jimmy Herring - guitar

Well, the 7/15/01 is a very special show to me for a number of reasons (the second set in particular is very hot - Stronger Than Dirt!, and 11/10/01 (the night Ken Kesey died) is a pretty dark and powerful show. 12/31 with the 'reunion' is a good one.

None of these circulate as SBDs to my knowledge, but I'm probably wrong. The AUDs I have are very sweet though.