The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a friendly reminder, folks - the 35th anniversary of the spectacular Winterland Run. Go bust out that boxset and be prepared to lose your mind! :dancing

There are many who consider the Dark Star from that run to be the best ever. I don't know about that, but it's certainly worth debating.

Link

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll be checking out music spanning virtually the full breadth of the 1970s, from early 1970 to late 1979, specifically 1970, 1971, 1973 and 1979.

Our first stop this week is not exactly date-appropriate, meaning will step out of mid-November mode to plunk down in early 1970, at the great little show on 2/23/70 in Austin, Texas. From this show, we have some acoustic Grateful Dead followed by some meaty electric material, featuring Me and My Uncle, Black Peter, Season>Uncle John's Band, Not Fade Away>Mason's Children. The version of Me and My Uncle is very unique as it is Bobby playing solo while Jerry fixes a string on his guitar. Jerry does chime in toward the end of the song, but it's pretty cool to hear Bobby play a solo tune. The rest of this sequence is mighty fine as well.

Next up, from a year and half later on 11/14/71 in Fort Worth, Texas, we have the great second set jam, featuring a classic sequence from the era: Truckin'>Drums>The Other One>Me and My Uncle>The Other One. This might be the first time we've ever played two versions on Me and My Uncle in one week here at the Tapers' Section. Up next week: two versions of Keep Your Day Job

"Up next week: two versions of Keep Your Day Job". :lol

I've never understood the hate for that song. I don't LOVE it, or actively seek it out, but still... I guess the lyrics rub the band's "slacker" base the wrong way or something.

"Up next week: two versions of Keep Your Day Job". :lol

I've never understood the hate for that song. I don't LOVE it, or actively seek it out, but still... I guess the lyrics rub the band's "slacker" base the wrong way or something.

For me, it was just waaaay overplayed in a relatively short period of time and was a pretty crummy encore, too. I didn't mind it so much early on in it's life as a first-set closer. The only tune ever removed from the repertoire as a result of fan request.

I've never heard it - I am not really familiar with the latter stuff.

One of the odd things about that song is that it used to pop up (nearly always in the dreaded "quick encore, and then we're outta here" slot) at some of the best shows. At least it worked that way for me.

It's kinda like a cross between Deal and US Blues - very unoriginal, but even Hunter's throwaway material is still better than many band's top shelf stuff. imo.

Just a friendly reminder, folks - the 35th anniversary of the spectacular Winterland Run. Go bust out that boxset and be prepared to lose your mind! :dancing

There are many who consider the Dark Star from that run to be the best ever. I don't know about that, but it's certainly worth debating.

One damn fine run of shows......The Star is indeed sweet, but man oh man do I love those 1969 versions....Primal Dead!

Maybe the guy who played him on that E! Channel "documentary" will get the staring role. What a bunch of shit.

Jerry Garcia Biopic In The Works

November 12, 2008 , 9:45 AM ET

Steven Zeitchik, The Hollywood Reporter

Veteran producers Albert Berger, Ron Yerxa and Eric Eisner are going truckin'. The trio have signed on to produce a biopic about Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia that will aim to offer a revealing look at the roots of the counterculture icon.

The untitled project will focus primarily on Garcia's early life in the Bay Area before he joined the band that would become the Grateful Dead -- a period that includes a stint in the military, a life-changing car accident and his first creative encounters with members of the Northern California music scene such as future Dead bassist Phil Lesh.

Producers have acquired rights to Robert Greenfield's book "Dark Star," an oral history of Garcia from dozens of people who knew him, including musicians, relatives and artist friends like Ken Kesey. Music rights also are being negotiated, though given that the period in Garcia's life that's covered is pre-Dead, producers could avoid some of the trickier negotiations.

Topper Lilien, who penned Universal's Paul Newman-starring drama "Where the Money Is," has been attached to write the screenplay.

Berger and Yerxa have collaborated on some of the biggest indie hits of the past decade, including "Election" and "Little Miss Sunshine," while Eisner produced the Sundance hit "Hamlet 2" with Berger and Yerxa and is attached to produce "Bait," a remake of Betrand Tavenier's mid-'90s French thriller.

The Dead has been the subject of number of documentaries -- including 1977's "The Grateful Dead Movie," a concert film Garcia directed -- but the story of Garcia's life has never been told on the big screen.

Maybe the guy who played him on that E! Channel "documentary" will get the staring role. What a bunch of shit.

Jesus. Maybe I should contact these dudes about playing Bob Hunter. I'm looking more and more like him everyday.

Jesus. Maybe I should contact these dudes about playing Bob Hunter. I'm looking more and more like him everyday.

I really dislike rock bio movies in general - and this is the sort of thing that Jerry could not stand (I read that he was not into such things). Another one I hope never gets made - the Keith Moon story, with Mike Myers playing the part of Keith.

Sid and Nancy was pretty good.

Yea, I don't want to turn this thread into that. There is a thread about such movies around there somewhere. I will stick to saying that I think such a thing would be demeaning to Jerry and his family.

Yea, I don't want to turn this thread into that. There is a thread about such movies around there somewhere. I will stick to saying that I think such a thing would be demeaning to Jerry and his family.

This is true. A movie about a non-celebrity such as JG would have to be done with the utmost care, and even then I don't think it's a good idea.

This is true. A movie about a non-celebrity such as JG would have to be done with the utmost care, and even then I don't think it's a good idea.

As Mr. dmait pointed out - looks like Parish is at it also. I bet Jerry's last wife will have something to say about all of this. I think people should listen to the music, watch what film footage there is and enjoy the trip. We don't need some Hollywood BS movie to know that Jerry had problems. And that is exactly what the movie will end up highlighting.

As Mr. dmait pointed out - looks like Parish is at it also. I bet Jerry's last wife will have something to say about all of this. I think people should listen to the music, watch what film footage there is and enjoy the trip. We don't need some Hollywood BS movie to know that Jerry had problems. And that is exactly what the movie will end up highlighting.

Right on A-Man, you hit the nail on the head, but I daresay Jerry's last wife probably won't have too much to say if there is a good payday to be had.