The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did get around to posting this: the setlist from the Ratdog show I saw last week.

11/18/2008

Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL

I: Shakedown Street > Easy Answers, Queen Jane Approximately, Loser, Salt Lake City > Ramble On Rose, Playin' in the Band > Might as Well

II: Blackbird, Artificial Flowers, El Paso, He's Gone > Eyes of the World > Playin' in the Band (reprise), Standing on the Moon, Foolish Heart

E: Attics of My Life

These guys were on fire; catch 'em if you get a chance!

I never did get around to posting this: the setlist from the Ratdog show I saw last week.

11/18/2008

Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL

I: Shakedown Street > Easy Answers, Queen Jane Approximately, Loser, Salt Lake City > Ramble On Rose, Playin' in the Band > Might as Well

II: Blackbird, Artificial Flowers, El Paso, He's Gone > Eyes of the World > Playin' in the Band (reprise), Standing on the Moon, Foolish Heart

E: Attics of My Life

These guys were on fire; catch 'em if you get a chance!

Bobby sings Standing on the Moon and Foolish Heart? Not sure I'd be able to handle those without Jerry.

:moo

When I saw the Moo-Cow I immediately thought of the chick in The Grateful Dead Movie they show doing her "Whooo-Whooo" noises.

Watching the various people they filmed during that run never fails to crack me up. Wish I couldda been there in those days......

When I saw the Moo-Cow I immediately thought of the chick in The Grateful Dead Movie they show doing her "Whooo-Whooo" noises.

Watching the various people they filmed during that run never fails to crack me up. Wish I couldda been there in those days......

"Whatcha eating there?" "Chicklets" :lol

That dude is like the hero of the whole thing. When they show him in the front row for U.S. Blues there's just no way you can't smile at him having so much fun.

I thought it would be cool when the film got re-released a few years ago if they tracked some of those dudes down, (like the guys who made the bet for example) interviewed them, and put the interview on the dvd as an easter egg.

"Whatcha eating there?" "Chicklets" :lol

That dude is like the hero of the whole thing. When they show him in the front row for U.S. Blues there's just no way you can't smile at him having so much fun.

The "Chicklets" line got lots of usage out of my crew back in the day. I always think of the dude in the front row, too, whenever the movie is mentioned. Man was having himself a grand time.

That's some funny shit, the moocow lady, and the chicklets dude. My friends and I joked on the same characters, but I guess everyone did. I think the movie captured it, grateful dead show is the best party on earth, if your a rocknroll fan.

The "Chicklets" line got lots of usage out of my crew back in the day. I always think of the dude in the front row, too, whenever the movie is mentioned. Man was having himself a grand time.

"The Omnipotent Grateful Dead!"

12/1/73 - Boston MA

This show is a contender for best between song banter. Go check it out - "this lame trip".

Before I ever got my first live GD cassettes I bought an actual bootleg LP at a record collector's convention. Very early '80s. The first two sides were the acoustic set from 5/2/70. The second LP was 12/5/71 - just first set material, mostly minty-fresh tunes from the last 6 weeks (Mexicali, Comes a Time, etc..). But there was one tune on there that I later found out was a once-only version "(I Washed My Hands In) Muddy Water". I don't know the background of the song, but it's very gospel in feel and execution. Too bad it didn't show up in those acoustic sets with Marmaduke & Nelson.

The Pigpen tracks we talked about a while back were put up at bt.etree.org today.

Pigpen's Apartment

Solo Acoustic Demos

4-track master> ?> CD> wav> shn

01. Two Women

02. Michael

03. Katie Mae

04. New Orleans > That Train

05. Instrumental

06. Bring me my Shotgun

07. C.C. Rider

08. Katie Mae

09. Hitchhiking Woman

10. Two Women

11. When I Was a Boy

12. Bring me my Shotgun

13. I believe

14. She's Mine

15. No time

16. Sweet Georgia Brown > Betty and Dupree

Tracks 13 -15 are Pigpen's final recordings, 3\9\1973

Track 16 is Pigpen and Jorma, 1964

Before I ever got my first live GD cassettes I bought an actual bootleg LP at a record collector's convention. Very early '80s. The first two sides were the acoustic set from 5/2/70. The second LP was 12/5/71 - just first set material, mostly minty-fresh tunes from the last 6 weeks (Mexicali, Comes a Time, etc..). But there was one tune on there that I later found out was a once-only version "(I Washed My Hands In) Muddy Water". I don't know the background of the song, but it's very gospel in feel and execution. Too bad it didn't show up in those acoustic sets with Marmaduke & Nelson.

I always liked the GD's take on gospel tunes.......Cold Jordan and I Bid You Good Night are great songs..........I wonder if that was Jerry's influence from his bluegrass days...

I always liked the GD's take on gospel tunes.......Cold Jordan and I Bid You Good Night are great songs..........I wonder if that was Jerry's influence from his bluegrass days...

I beleive so....

I know The Stanley Brothers recorded "Jordan" which is basically the same (lyrically) as "Cold Jordan," and " And We Bid You Goodnight" I believe has pretty old folk/ Bluegrass roots, as well.

12/6/73 - Convention Center, Cleveland OH

I: Bertha, Mexicali, Loser, BT Wind, TLEO, BIODTL, Deal, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Greatest, China > Rider, Around

II: Ramble On, Me & My Uncle, HC Sunshine, Big River, Dark Star > Eyes > Stella > Sugar Mag

Yes, we've probably discussed this show before. At least the Dark Star. But I can't let the date pass by without mentioning how seriously mind blowing this one is. At nearly 43 minutes it's (as far as I know) the second-longest on record (with 5/11/72 taking the honors at 48 minutes). But this is no boring coasting - there are many things to this Star that stand out. First off, Keith is very prominent in the mix and really takes over a few times. Second, Phil is still on a major wave of inspiration that is reminiscent of his madness from the Playin' of 12/2 (DP #14). He's operating on a whole new plane here - it's easy to forget what bass playing is supposed to sound like, or even music itself for that matter.

I've always been a very vocal proponent of the 6/10/73 Star but this one has many of the elements of that version, PLUS it's extended for an additional 20 minutes! It leads into another killer Eyes that has all the hallmarks of the '73 sound - relaxed, jazzy as hell, and very spaced out.

Please please check this one out my brothers if you've not heard it before. After all, it's only an hour of your life...

I've been listening to ^ a bunch of late and I need to add, in addition to mb's notes above, that the HC Sunshine is phenomenal, as well. I believe it's just over 15 min. and gets pretty "out there" in a very nice way. Some great textures laid down from all sides of the stage in it.

The transiition ("Feelin' Groovy Jam") between China-Rider is smooth as silk, too.

ed. Also of note: no Donna (maternity leave)!

I've been listening to ^ a bunch of late and I need to add, in addition to mb's notes above, that the HC Sunshine is phenomenal, as well. I believe it's just over 15 min. and gets pretty "out there" in a very nice way. Some great textures laid down from all sides of the stage in it.

The transiition ("Feelin' Groovy Jam") between China-Rider is smooth as silk, too.

ed. Also of note: no Donna (maternity leave)!

I'll go ahead and say it - HC Sunshine probably shouldn't have been reintroduced to the rotation. I LOVE this song in its original construction. Every version I've heard from '73 is wonderful. When it came back out ('92? '93?) it just did nothing for me - aside from the vocal harmonies being great the lack of a jam was a big bring down for me. I saw a half-dozen or so of the latter takes and generally it was a ho-hum affair.

>New Road Trips! (Sep. 1990 - MSG)

That's going to be huge. That was a mammoth run, with the band working Bruce Hornsby (and unfortunately Vince Welnick) into the fold. I was at 5 of the 6 shows and had tapes of all from a friend who taped them, but it will be nice to hear these in crisp quality. 9/20/90 is an all-time great.