The Grateful Dead

I'm not the biggest Gov't Mule fan - (I own Gov't Mule, The Deep End, Volume 1 and 2) - but it seems to me the dude can jam. If nothing else, he got the Allman Brothers to finally make a new album - Hittin' The Note - which I think is pretty good.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, VOLUME II: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985

came in the mail today. I paid 60 bucks for it - but it is worth it. The copy I received is in pristine condition - it looks like it has never been looked at. Now, it I can only find Volume III for a good price.

I think I stated this before while discussing the Egypt CD release --- the review of the Egypt run in Vol. II is pretty damn cool.

Aman - I'm glad you got Vol. II. I guess Xmas came late this year! :thumbup

If you can find that Addendum for a good price, grab it - it has that wonderful, lengthy Latvala tribute in it (I think we've discussed this before).

Aman - I'm glad you got Vol. II. I guess Xmas came late this year! :thumbup

If you can find that Addendum for a good price, grab it - it has that wonderful, lengthy Latvala tribute in it (I think we've discussed this before).

I think that will be hard to get - right now, there are only two copies of Volume III on Amazon.com, and they are going for 160 bucks.

True, though. I've said it before but I've seen him do solo acoustic (with Matt Abts), followed by the gig proper with P & F. And, he played in the parking lot for about 40 min. before the solo/duet stuff.

I saw him do solo acoustic before a Phil show, no parking lot though. I've also seen Govt Mule open for Allman Brothers. Suffices to say I'm kind of sick of the guy.

Is his goal to play with every group during the XMas jam?

That's a pretty good lineup by the way. Col Bruce, Buddy Cage, Allman Bros., Del McCoury, Karl Denson

Article link plus photos

Dead's Lesh: 'We've got some unfinished music'

"I wish I could say I once quit my job to follow the Grateful Dead in my VW bus," I tell him. "But honestly, I'm just not that cool."

The bass player chuckles. "It's mostly trust-fund kids," he confides. "They're the only ones who are able to do that."

I guess you could say I'm a wannabe Deadhead. Like many Americans, I'm fascinated by tales of the Grateful Dead's improvisational live shows and colorful sense of community.

Some 40-odd years after the group rose out of San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury scene of the mid-1960s, there's even a popular Sirius Satellite Radio channel devoted solely to the legendary jam band.

A few days ago, the four surviving members of the Grateful Dead dropped a sweet New Year's gift on fans -- they'll reunite for their first concert tour in five years. Just as they did on their last outing, Lesh, guitarist Bob Weir and drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann will perform under the shortened moniker The Dead. It's a reverent nod to their iconic lead guitarist, Jerry Garcia, who died from a heart attack in 1995 after a long struggle with drug addiction.

Under the banner, "An Evening With," the trek will encompass 19 shows in 16 cities, kicking off April 12 in Greensboro, North Carolina, and wrapping up May 10 in Mountain View, California. The quartet will be joined by guitarist Warren Haynes and keyboardist Jeff Chimenti.

The reunion is something that's been rumored since Lesh, Weir and Hart headlined a "Deadheads for Obama" concert in San Francisco last February. Kreutzmann was in Hawaii that night, but he was there in spirit. iReport: Are you grateful for a Dead tour?

"We've never, ever endorsed a candidate -- ever," Lesh states emphatically. "Not even Robert Kennedy. It was a big deal for all of us. But this was the time, and this was the man."

Don't Miss

Accompanied by his wife, Jill, and their youngest son, Brian, Lesh even traveled to Reno to knock on doors, in an effort to get out the vote in Nevada -- a battleground state that ultimately went to Barack Obama. Did anyone recognize him when they answered the door? "Not really. Reno is not really a stronghold of Dead-dom," he deadpans.

Lesh downplays the band's legacy as founding fathers of a jam band scene that now includes such free-form artists as Phish, the String Cheese Incident and Blues Traveler. "All we did was steal what jazz musicians did and apply it to rock 'n' roll. If we didn't do it, someone else would have," he says.

For the tour, look for The Dead to continue their trademark three-and-a-half to four-hour shows (because of their marathon set, there's no time for an opening act). "We've been accused of being under-arranged. We've also been accused of noodling," says Lesh. "We make it different, make it new every night. We never play the same licks or the same fills twice. There is a set list -- more or less -- but Bobby, in particular, likes to stick things in." iReport.com: Spending time with Bob Weir poolside

The upcoming tour will feature mostly "Grateful Dead classics -- the things people like to hear," he says, so expect performances of "Truckin'," "Casey Jones," perhaps the band's sole Top 10 hit, "Touch of Grey," and maybe even the Holy Grail of Dead jams, "Dark Star."

Presale tickets go on sale January 13 -- and even though sold-out shows have been a way of life for The Dead, Lesh isn't taking their fan base for granted. "It's rough times. Of course it's an object of concern," he says. "All you can do is play the best music you can, and hope people can get out to hear it."

iReport.com: Colorful tie-dyes and painted buses are never out of style

All The Dead's members are in their 60s, with Lesh the elder statesman at 68. Two years ago, he underwent surgery for prostate cancer. "I'm pretty much recovered from that now. I eat right, exercise and work out with weights three days a week," he says.

He listens to jazz and classical music in his free time, and continues working on his side project, Phil Lesh and Friends. Two of his musical "friends" are his sons, Brian, a student at Princeton, and Grahame, who will be graduating from Stanford this year. Lesh hopes they'll make a guest appearance when The Dead hits their town -- if it doesn't interfere with their finals.

When The Dead announced this tour, Bob Weir released a statement. "We've got some unfinished business," he said. Lesh goes a step further.

"We've got some unfinished music," Lesh clarifies. "We're all still evolving in our own ways. You can always improve your playing. Let's see what kind of a goulash we can make out of it. Besides," he adds, "I just got two new electric basses."

When Warren Haynes sweats, it smells like Popeye's chicken.

Hopefully I can catch one of these shows. This and Phish the same year, plus Wilco should be doing some shows this spring & summer. There will be a lot of choices and traveling.

I will probably not go to this. I haven't really been a fan of any post-Jerry incarnations. For that matter, it was rare I was fan of any post-Brent incarnations. But, of all I have seen -- and I've seen the Other Ones, a few different Phil & Friends, Ratdog and The Dead -- for my money the best was with Haynes. He brings soul to the Jerry ballads that no one else does. Granted it in no way compares to the soul JERRY brought to the Jerry ballads, but I don't think anyone could. I was hugely let down with Herring and Kimock -- both of whom I love -- as they seemed to be more imitating Jerry's style and that just didn't work for me at all.

I'm not the biggest Gov't Mule fan -

Everytime I see this (as it's been at the top of the page for a spell now) it reminds me of a brief interview Garcia, Weir, and Vince did before they sang the National Anthem for a SF Giants baseball game. A reporter asked Garcia if he was "a big Giants fan" and before he could respond Weir chimed in with "well...he ain't the smallest one...."

Classis witty banter.

I found this on David Gan's blog - she is talking about "The Garcia Tapes":

Video interview with Deborah Koons

All I can do is shake my head. It's just f..kin' weird listening to her talk about the Garcia Band's music. Anyway, it is what is, I let all the others on Dead related boards do the venting, because at the end of the day she is going to do whatever she wants to do with the music... The one thing I don't understand is, why is she letting the tapes deteriorate? I assume she can afford to store them properly.

Incompetence in action -

She should turn the project over to David Lemieux, John Cutler, and the rest of the crew.

Money Changes Everything.

I'm listening to Ladies and Gentlemen... the Grateful Dead and Hundred Year Hall today.

Incompetence in action -

She should turn the project over to David Lemieux, John Cutler, and the rest of the crew.

Money Changes Everything.

She absolutely should. Except "those people" would then get a cut of the dough she needs to make movies.

I wonder how the tapes came to have mold on them. I take it they must have been taken out of the GD vault at some point and improperly stored elsewhere.

You would think she would store them properly --- she won't make any money off of a moldy tape. I haven't been following this that closely, but I believe there might be some more litigation to clear up, perhaps she is saying the tapes are getting moldy to expedite things. A threat, if you will. Which is clearly demented.

Arrrgh!

I wonder how the tapes came to have mold on them. I take it they must have been taken out of the GD vault at some point and improperly stored elsewhere.

Were/are Garcia Band tapes kept in the vault, though? I wonder if there is a separate storage for his Band/solo stuff as it isn't part of GDP....

At one point they were - according to the interview with Dick Latvala in the first volume of the The Taper's Compendium. I figure when the legal stuff started to go down she must have had them taken out of the vault.

I have not listened to this one in a while. I think Donna would have benefited from the invention of in ear monitors.

Dick's Picks Volume 7 is the seventh live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded between September 9 and 11, 1974 at Alexandra Palace in London, England. It was released in March 1997.

Just saw this on another message board I am on:

Better quality video of one of the Obama show videos.

Speaking of video - I have not looked at this site for a while:

Grateful Video

I find the navigation a bit cumbersome, but there is some neat stuff up there to watch.

and a post about tickets -

Sunday, April 12, 2009 at the Greensboro Coliseum

in Greensboro, NC. Reserved seats are available

at $93.00, $69.00 and $53.50 per ticket. Doors

open at 6:00 PM. Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at the Verizon Center in

Washington, DC. Reserved seats are available at

$102.00 and $72.00 per ticket. Doors open at

5:30 PM. Showtime is 7:00 PM.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at the John Paul Jones

Arena in Charlottesville, VA. Reserved seats are

available at $79.00 and $49.00 per ticket. Doors

Friday, April 17, 2009 at the Times Union Center

in Albany, NY. Reserved seats are available at

$100.00 and $60.00 per ticket. Doors open at

6:00 PM. Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Saturday & Sunday, April 18 & 19, 2009 at the

DCU Center in Worcester, MA. Reserved seats

are available at $100.25 and $69.00. Doors open

at 6:00 PM. Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at the HSBC Arena in

Buffalo, NY. Reserved seats are available at

$100.50 and $60.50 per ticket. Doors open

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at the Wachovia

Arena @ Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Reserved seats are available at $99.00 and

$73.00 per ticket. Doors open at 6:00 PM.

Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Friday, April 24, 2009 at Nassau Coliseum in

Uniondale, NY. Reserved seats are available at

$102.00 and $57.00 per ticket. Doors open at

Saturday, April 25, 2009 at Madison Square

Garden in New York City, NY. Reserved seats

are available @ $103.50 and $58.50 per ticket.

Doors open at 6:30 PM. Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at the XL Center in

Hartford, CT. Reserved seats are available at

$102.00 and $72.00 per ticket. Doors open at

Tuesday & Wednesday, April 28 & 29, 2009 at

The IZOD Center in East Rutherford, NJ.

Reserved seats are available at $102.00 and

$57.00 per ticket. Doors open at 6:00 PM.

Friday and Saturday, May 1 & 2, 2009 at Wachovia

Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA. Reserved seats are

available at $99.00 and $69.00 Reserved.

Doors open at 6:00 PM. Showtime is 7:30 PM.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at All State Arena in

Chicago, IL. Reserved seats are available at

$99.00 and $54.00 per ticket. Doors open at

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at the Pepsi Center in

Denver, CO. Reserved seats are available at

$98.50 and $63.50. Doors open at 6:00 PM.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at The Forum in Los

Angeles, CA. Reserved seats are available at

$89.00 Reserved and $53.50 Reserved. Doors

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at Shoreline Amphitheatre

In Mountain View, CA. Reserved seats are available

at $105.00 Reserved and $45.00 Lawn. Doors open

The only mail in dates for these performances are

January 13, 2009 through January 20, 2009. Orders

will be filled on a first come, first serve basis

by postmark, not when we receive them.

Please do not mail in before January 13th as your

order will be disqualified.

4 ticket limit per person per show.

Taper tickets will be available for all shows on the

tour except for Shoreline Amphitheatre where

taping will be permitted on the lawn.

Taper tickets are available at the higher ticket

price for each venue.

Taper tickets are limited to 2 per person per show.

To reduce our carbon footprint our new address

to mail in for this tour is:

GDTS TOO

P.O. Box 456

Stinson Beach, CA 94970