The Grateful Dead

Yep - Rosemont gets my vote as the shittiest place I ever saw the band. Saw em there in '88 and boycotted that place forever after that.

Sadly, I've seen more "big" shows there than anywhere else but I'm headed there on May 5th fer sure.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one year I'm really trying to save money: first Phish, now the dead. If it was any other year I'd go back home to Philly to do the two nights at the spectrum which are sure to be special. Hopefully I can make it to the Chicago gig, heres to hoping tickets aren't over 50 bucks.

The one year I'm really trying to save money: first Phish, now the dead. If it was any other year I'd go back home to Philly to do the two nights at the spectrum which are sure to be special. Hopefully I can make it to the Chicago gig, heres to hoping tickets aren't over 50 bucks.

Well, at the Obama benefit (which I would assume would be a bit more pricey than an average gig) I was on the floor about 20 feet from the stage for 50 on the nose. But we shall see.

Beautiful evening last night at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium :wub

Every bit of it played with intensity and purpose. Some nice changes to well known songs. Phil and Friends (No Campbell but a stellar performance from Barry Sless) set should be sought out it was amazing. The midnight band was a combo of Ratdog and P&F. Before midnight all the children on stage dancing in front of a sea blue green curtain like angel/mermaids?and throwing white roses while a giant Terrapin eyes made of lights a blaze was lowered from its hiding place flipped over and count down on a screen on its belly. Balloons both regular and ones shaped like sea creatures tumbling from the ceiling and the big Sugar Magnolia. All in all big fun.

On a note of modern times Dead.net set the eblast at the stroke of midnight and of course the beautiful flier/announcement on the way out. Plus a super cool poster added to the collection :thumbup

too bad it's warren haynes. he just doesn't fit in my opinion. at least it's just one keyboard player and one guitarist though. there's just been too many instruments in the past 'reunions'. my wish would be to have bruce hornsby on keys singing all the jerry songs exclusively and steve kimock on guitar. i would travel for that. alas, i know it's a no go given the past with phil and kimock and bruce's continuous foray into blandness.

Haynes, Herring, Kimock....we all have an opinion about the best fit for the lead slot. One name seems to not get mentioned in this debate, so I'll put it out there: Barry Freakin Sless, dudes!

Anyone who has caught Barry with the DNB knows that, although he has his own style, he can impersonate Garcia's sound as well as anyone. Just a phenomenal player, and a real sweetheart of a guy taboot. I can't say enough positive things about him.

Haynes, Herring, Kimock....we all have an opinion about the best fit for the lead slot. One name seems to not get mentioned in this debate, so I'll put it out there: Barry Freakin Sless, dudes!

Anyone who has caught Barry with the DNB knows that, although he has his own style, he can impersonate Garcia's sound as well as anyone. Just a phenomenal player, and a real sweetheart of a guy taboot. I can't say enough positive things about him.

so right. didn't he play with dead ringers in the earlly 90s too?

so right. didn't he play with dead ringers in the earlly 90s too?

Yep. And Cowboy Jazz as well. His pedal steel work while in P&F is outstanding, unfortunately he is too low in the mix (imo) in most of the sbds I have heard.

Yep. And Cowboy Jazz as well. His pedal steel work while in P&F is outstanding, unfortunately he is too low in the mix (imo) in most of the sbds I have heard.

dead ringers was such a treat back then. saw them in this very small bar in ohio several times. would walk in to find tom constantin(sp) just sittin' at the bar waiting for the show to start. it was a great gathering for local heads. i remember they did the wheel with the pedal steel. so cool.

Barry was on fire on NYE. And MB is right about how nice he is. At Hardly Strictly he was checking out the other bands and was just one of the folks. I like Warren but Barry brings it great steel player and quite frankly I was floored by his performance NYE with P&F. No one can turn a phrase like Jerry did however when I saw Warren and the boys in Indy sometime in the past 6 years I thought he did a nice job with the Jerry vocals. As a side note Jackie Greene has done some fantastic work with Phil.The Sugaree from the Warfield/Obama benefit continues to be in rotation for me almost a year later. :dancing

Rider - you mentioned "a small bar in Ohio". Would this be Canal Street Tavern in Dayton? Great place for live music - I saw the Nelson Band there about 10 times between '98 and '05 - great times.

Miss Jayne - you mentioned Warren with P&F in Indy. The Deer Creek show on 7/15/01 (with SCI opening) is still my favorite Phil show of the ones I've caught. Warren did such a sweet job with the Stella Blue encore - very soulful, and a great way to end a looong day of music.

It still amazes me that Warren plays in three bands at more or less the same time - Gov't Mule, The Allman Brothers (who just announced the dates for their 2009 Beacon run), and now The Dead.

It still amazes me that Warren plays in three bands at more or less the same time - Gov't Mule, The Allman Brothers (who just announced the dates for their 2009 Beacon run), and now The Dead.

for a while it was 4, if you add in his full time gig with phil for a while.

Rider - you mentioned "a small bar in Ohio". Would this be Canal Street Tavern in Dayton? Great place for live music - I saw the Nelson Band there about 10 times between '98 and '05 - great times.

Miss Jayne - you mentioned Warren with P&F in Indy. The Deer Creek show on 7/15/01 (with SCI opening) is still my favorite Phil show of the ones I've caught. Warren did such a sweet job with the Stella Blue encore - very soulful, and a great way to end a looong day of music.

mtbed, i'm from dayton and know canal street really well. never saw david nelson there, but saw a bunch of other stuff, like hookah and of course the jam band i was in. we actually had a little jam scene goin' on there from about 93-97. we played at the old sub galley, all of us. even had a joshua light show of sorts.

i used to see dead ringers at Mcguffy's house of draft in Fairborn near hara arena. small world!

c

Well, since all his solos sound the same maybe it isn't so hard. Sorry, not a Warren fan.

alas, i know it's a no go given the past with phil and kimock and bruce's continuous foray into blandness.

Bruces last 3 discs are anything but bland (Big Swing Face, Camp Meeting, and the Ricky Scaggs one). Just sayin'.

This shit is deep.

True, though. I've said it before but I've seen him do solo acoustic (with Matt Abts), followed by the gig proper with P & F. And, he played in the parking lot for about 40 min. before the solo/duet stuff.

Link

January 5 - January 11, 2009

Welcome back to our first full week of 2009 here at the Tapers' Section, where we hope your year is starting as well as ours.

We're going to step outside of our featured week a little bit, primarily owing to the fact that the vault doesn't have too much music from this week in the Grateful Dead's history. Our first selection is one of the all-time great sequences of bonus tracks from any Grateful Dead release, the jam of Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World>St. Stephen>Sugar Magnolia,, from 12/30/77 at Winterland. This music was included at the end of CD #3 of the majestic Dick's Pick Volume 10, which featured the 12/29/77 show, the triumphant return of China>Rider.

Next we'll jump back in time almost a decade to 10/12/68 for the excellent Anthem of the Sun styled jam of That's It For The Other One>New Potato Caboose>Jam>Feedback. There isn't a lot of 1968 Grateful Dead music in the vault, but what's there is mostly excellent. In fact, it's so good, we figured we'd give you a double dose today, with the next jam, from 10/20/68, being the other common jam from 1968, Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Caution. This is certainly one era from which I wish there were more tapes in the vault.

Finally this week, from Winterland on 1/2/72, we have the very cool, very unique jam of Good Lovin'>China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider>Good Lovin'. There aren't a lot of split Good Lovin's like this, so it's always a pleasure to bring you the one-time-only jams.

Check in next week for a whole lot of good music from 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1972.

David Lemieux

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, VOLUME II: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985

came in the mail today. I paid 60 bucks for it - but it is worth it. The copy I received is in pristine condition - it looks like it has never been looked at. Now, it I can only find Volume III for a good price.

>True, though. I've said it before but I've seen him do solo acoustic (with Matt Abts), followed by the gig proper with P & F. And, he played in the parking lot for about 40 min. before the solo/duet stuff.

I bet he played "Soulshine" with all three bands that day?