The Grateful Dead

Anyone ever heard this? It's up at bt.etree.org.

Grateful Dead

06/18/67

Monterey Pop Festival, Fairgrounds

Monterey, CA

SBD> MR> ? > DAT x 2> Sonic Solutions> cd

note: There seems to be no cassette generation between the MR and DAT, which is present on the previously circulated version of this show.

Remastered by

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have is the Viola and Cold Rain. Those two were used as filler on A LOT of cassettes back in the day.

I'd bet the farm that the Alligator > Caution is not from that show.

Link to Dead.net with photos of the guitar

Members of The Dead signed a Gibson Les Paul guitar to commemorate the Inauguration and raise money for HeadCount, the nonprofit group that works to get music fans more involved in the political process. Marking this unique occasion, DC Dead Heads Nancy Pelosi and John Podesta also signed the guitar.

Link

Welcome to February here at the Tapers' Section, where we have a nice range of Grateful Dead spanning 18 years or so.

Our first stop this week is the Fillmore West in San Francisco on 2/8/70, where the Grateful Dead were wrapping up a magnificent four night run of shows before departing for New York and the famous three nights at the Fillmore East on 2/11,13&14/70. From the final night of the Fillmore West run, we're pleased to play this excellent Smokestack Lightning, one of the finest I've ever heard, up there with the one from a week later at the Fillmore East (and featured on Bear's Choice).

Before we get into the 1978 Grateful Dead we promised last week, we're going to play some 1988, because we don't play too much from that underrated year very often here at the Tapers' Section. From 9/5/88 at the Capitol Center in Landover, MD, the third of a four night run, we have the opening of the second, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band>Playing In The Band. The music in 1988 lacked the long jams (mostly), but had an inspired tightness.

Now we'll hit some 1978 Grateful Dead. From 2/4/78 in Milwaukee, WI, we have this very nice second set sequence of Dancing In The Street>Terrapin Station>Playing In The Band. This show is often overshadowed by the night before and after, but there is some fine playing from Milwaukee.

From the next night, we have two tunes to play for you: the double length Samson and Delilah, and the pre-Drums version of Truckin'. The Samson is so long (and good!) because evidently the vocal mics weren't working, so the band ran through the tune once instrumentally, and then again with vocals. Unique and excellent.

Be sure to stop back next week for some tasty 1970 material, plus a great sequence from 1967.

David Lemieux

Weir & Wasserman Are Scaring The Children Once Again

In the late 80s and early 90s, Bob Weir and Rob Wasserman often toured together as Scaring The Children. The two went on to form RatDog, with Wasserman departing the group in 2002. On March 26, the longtime friends will take to the stage together once again as Scaring The Children at the Fillmore in San Francisco. They will be joined at this show by RatDog's Jay Lane (with echoes of the RatDog 3 from year's past, including a notable Wetlands Preserve run in February 1999). Also on the bill is Band of Brotherz, with a presale starting Tuesday, February 10 at Noon EST.

So I am very hesitant to ask this question because I don't know if it's impossible, if it's a stupid question, if it's been answered, obviously there is no one answer but here goes.

If you were to recommend one Grateful Dead recording to someone to really show them what they are all about, what would it be? I'm asking because I have always liked the band but have never really delved into them much. I remember being in a store on Haight one time and they were playing a live dead show really loud and I was absolutely hypnotized by it. Like an idiot I did not ask what it was. Up until that time my experience was pretty much American Beauty and maybe In the Dark and I know the dead are all about the live experience. I have to admit I kind of like the American beauty, solo Jerry Garcia (like "Loser" for example) stuff the best but again, I'm a complete Newb. I did get to see them play at the Bill Graham tribute concert at least.

Anyways, if this is asking the impossible I understand. It's just kind of overwhelming even knowing where to begin. If nothing else, throw out one of your favorite shows and I will try and track it down. DIck's picks? Is that the way to go?

I'm a blank slate.

Well you nailed it. There is no one answer. The GD were not the same band tour to tour, let alone year to year. So while you may end up liking one show from '70, you might not like one from '73 or one from '77. That said, here are my recommendations. Keep in mind these aren't necessarily my favorite shows, but they are very popular and good representations from the various eras. I have left out some of the more challenging (73-74) and less popular (the '80s) eras but there is plenty to love from them too, but I'd start here:

- Dick's Picks 8 - 5.2.70 (you specifically mention American Beauty and this is one of the best from those years)

- Dick's Picks 4 - 2.13-14.70

- One From the Vault - 8.13.75

- Cornell 5.8.77 (this one is not an official release but is probably THE most traded show. You can even find Dolby 5.1 surround versions of it!)

All are widely available!

Moss, you're a cool dude. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I will offer up this: if you're a complete newb as you say you probably don't wanna start out with 50 minute versions of Dark Star or things like that. I usually try to break in folks with stuff from either '71 or '77 - the playing during those times was pretty straightforward for the most part. '77 in particular was a very fertile time, and the band was really in sync - lots of emphasis on tightness and tunes.

from '71 try Skull And Roses, or Ladies And Gentlemen the Grateful Dead (both official releases)

'77 - Dick's Picks #3, 10, or 29 are all really good.

Hope this helps. :thumbup

I remember being in a store on Haight one time and they were playing a live dead show really loud and I was absolutely hypnotized by it. Like an idiot I did not ask what it was.

The Psychedelic Shop (which opened about a month before I was born)? I have some T-Shirts I bought there back in the mid 1980s.

The Psychedelic Shop (which opened about a month before I was born)? I have some T-Shirts I bought there back in the mid 1980s.

It was definitely a Psychedelic Shop! I know it was very close to Haight Ashbury if not right on it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think your spot on. Not sure I need a 50 minute Dark Star to start out with. Although I do plan to study Jerry's improv a bit, see if I can learn something!

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Grateful_Dead.htm

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

My introduction was the Skull and Roses and Dead Set records. Dead Set may not be the best, but it's a good introduction for the later phase of their career.

The first link is their discography, rather daunting to look at, especially if one is trying to figure out what to purchase.

The second link is their live shows that are streaming or and some(the audience recordings) can be downloaded.

1971 and 1972 shows, to me at least, are the most "accessible", though 1972 at times get's out there (in a good way).

Perhaps you can listen to a few shows from a particular year, if you like what you hear go to the Deaddisc site and pick out a Dick's Pick that comes close to that particular era.

As far a studio records, Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, and Blues for Allah are all great. I also always liked Aoxomoxoa.

Have fun.

If you were to recommend one Grateful Dead recording to someone to really show them what they are all about, what would it be?

I'm a blank slate.

Well, like you said, it is pretty much impossible to know what will click for each person. Like you, I was a latecomer to the band. I saw one show in person around '90 or so, but it was before I was really a fan and didn't fully appreciate the band's latter-stage sound (still kind of don't, to be honest). But I went along for years mostly just knowing American Beauty and Workingman's Dead and liking them, but never had that "wow" moment. Really, for whatever reason, it was Europe '72 that finally did it for me. One day I borrowed it from a friend and had one of those great epiphany moments.

Its a strange selection in that it is not particularly representative of a "true" GD live sound. For a live record, it almost "feels" like a studio record--maybe due to overdubs? I dunno. For a "truer" '72 experience, you could easily go with Hundred Year Hall or Rockin' the Rhine or the absolutely flippin' glorious Steppin' Out set (my personal favorite). But, for whatever reason, it was Europe '72 that opened the door for me.

This is great, I'll probably pick up Dicks Picks 8. I like the fact that is has an acoustic disc and an electric disc. Plus I already know I like St. Stephen, Friend of the Devil, I know you rider. Not exactly obscure tunes I know but hey, I'm beginning. I'm also thinking about Dicks picks 10 since it's several years later and it has "Loser" on it. Anyways, thanks for the help on this.

Today, I am playing:

Hundred Year Hall is a double live album by the Grateful Dead. It was the first album to be released after Jerry Garcia's death and one of the first releases in a continuing rush of live albums from the band's vault. It contains the major part of an April 26 concert at the Jahrhunderthalle in Frankfurt, Germany during the Dead's Europe Spring 1972 tour.

Dick's Picks Volume 12 is the twelfth live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on June 26, 1974 at the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island and on June 28, 1974 at the Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts.
Just keep listening until you hit the stuff that resonates.....It shouldn't take too long, actually. Assuming you're human.

:thumbup

some of the shows i've given to a couple people who are just getting started are

rotterdam, may 11, 1972

baltimore, march 26, 1973

cornell, may 8, 1977

have fun!

That's a great jam in Turn On Your Lovelight from Hundred Year Hall.

I am thinking about snagging this:

Grateful Dead - 1977-05-08 - Barton Hall, Cornell University - Ithaca, NY *40th Matrix*

Grateful Dead

Barton Hall, Cornell University

Ithaca, NY

May 8, 1977

Jerry Garcia - Lead Guitar, Vocals

Donna Jean Godchaux - Vocals

Keith Godchaux - Keyboards

Mickey Hart - Drums

Bill Kreutzmann - Drums

Phil Lesh - Electric Bass, Vocals

Bob Weir - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals

*40th Matrix*

SBD (shnid=4982):

Betty Board -- Master 7" Nagra reels 1/2 track @ 7.5ips>Sony PCM 501. Playback on Sony PCM 701>DAT (Digital Transfer) -- Rob Eaton DBX Decoding (Spring '99) Playback on Panasonic 4100 DAT>DB 924 D/A>Dolby 361's w/dbx K9-22 Cards>DB 124 A/D>Neve Capricorn (Digital mixing console)>DB 300S>Panasonic 4100 DAT>DAT>Digi Coax Cable>Tascam CD-RW 700>CDR (x1)>SHN (Rob Eaton remaster)

AUD (shnid=29303):

Handheld Shure 57's, 10 Feet From Stage, DFC>TC152>MC

MC>CDR>EAC>WAV>FLAC

Notes: 10 Feet From Stage = Great Instrument Pickup,

Vocals A Bit Lower Than Moore's Copy.

A Few Pauses But Not Many, Tape Filp After Supplication,

Flip During NFA Crossfaded And Is Barely Noticeable,

Probably Lost 3-4 Sec's,

Minimal Crowd Chatter, But With Handheld Mic's, Up Front,

There Are A Few Spots Where In An Ideal World, A Few People

Would Have Been Standing Somewhere Else.

If Anyone Wants To Matrix This Feel Free, I'd Love To Hear It!

Recording And Transfer: Jeff Stevenson

Thank you to Rob Eaton for the SBD transfer,

and to Jeff Stevenson for recording this all-time great show.

Matrix by Hunter Seamons using Final Cut Pro (SHN & FLAC>AIFF>Final Cut>WAV>FLAC)

February 5, 2009

Set I

-----

d1t01 - Minglewood Blues

d1t02 - Loser

d1t03 - El Paso

d1t04 - They Love Each Other

d1t05 - Jack Straw

d1t06 - Deal

d1t07 - Lazy Lightning ->

d1t08 - Supplication

d1t09 - Brown Eyed Women

d1t10 - Mama Tried

d1t11 - Row Jimmy

d2t01 - Dancin' In The Streets

Set II

-----

d2t02 - Take A Step Back

d2t03 - Scarlet Begonias ->

d2t04 - Fire On The Mountain

d2t05 - Estimated Prophet

d3t01 - St. Stephen ->

d3t02 - Not Fade Away ->

d3t03 - St. Stephen ->

d3t04 - Morning Dew

Encore

------

d3t05 - One More Saturday Night

That's a great jam in Turn On Your Lovelight from Hundred Year Hall.

I am thinking about snagging this:

Grateful Dead - 1977-05-08 - Barton Hall, Cornell University - Ithaca, NY *40th Matrix*

I downloaded it overnight and I listened to parts of it this morning. It is certainly different from the super crisp soundboard. I enjoy the distant yelling, screaming, and whistling during Morning Dew. It's definitely worth the download. The pictures of the venue in the comment section are interesting also, I never saw the venue before. It reminds me of European train station.

http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bartonhallve5.jpg

Thanks for the comments. As I have said before - I don't think I have ever heard that show. I have read about it many times, but don't recall ever hearing it.

It is overrated as a whole show imo, but the ScarFire and the Dew have to be considered as all-time greatest versions. They're definitely up there.

I actually like the next night (5/9) better as a whole show. GREAT set 1.

It is overrated as a whole show imo, but the ScarFire and the Dew have to be considered as all-time greatest versions. They're definitely up there.

I actually like the next night (5/9) better as a whole show. GREAT set 1.

I think the quality and availability of the 5/8/77 tapes were a large part of the reason why these tapes always topped people's list.

I agree that there are better played 77 shows.

Plus if you have not heard the show before: it is well worth the listen.

The show is fantastic through and through, imo. It's hype is equal to it's hype. True that the availability and quality contribute to it's legendary status but that doesn't diminish it's solidness to me. Take other shows from that period and it holds it's weight.

Today, I am playing:

Dick's Picks Volume 12 is the twelfth live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on June 26, 1974 at the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island and on June 28, 1974 at the Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts.

That dicks picks is amazing (thanks for the tip mountainbed)

as for 5/8/77 i personally love it. Maybe its the sound quality that grabbed me but that Dancing and the Scarlet/fire as mentioned before are classic. I personally prefer this to the other early May shows.

What are your all favorite 77 shows?