The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

January 12 - January 18, 2009

Greetings and welcome back to the Tapers' Section. We have a pretty eclectic mix of early Grateful Dead music for you this week, specifically 1968-1972, a truly Golden Age in the history of the band.

Our first stop this week is in Chico, California, on 11/1/68, where we'll listen to the classic double-whammy major jam of the era, Dark Star>That's It For The Other One. What a treat it is to play the two big jams of 1968 linked together like this.

From just a couple of months later in Santa Barbara, we'll stop in on a killer sequence from 1/17/69, featuring just about the entirety of the song selection that would appear on Live/Dead, Lovelight, Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Death Don't Have No Mercy, minus the feedback>We Bid You Goodnight that closed out one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Moving further up the coast to one of the coolest cities in America, Portland, Oregon, we have a couple of tunes from 1/16/70, a tight, excellent Easy Wind, and the powerful, psychedelic That's It For The Other One. We hope you don't mind two complete Other One jams this week. This little tour in January, 1970 features some very cool, unique shows, including San Diego on 1/10/70 and the two Hawaii show on 1/23&24/70. And sandwiching this tour were the Fillmore East shows of 1/2&3/70 and 2/11,13&14/70. Certainly a prime time for the Grateful Dead.

Finally this week, from 9/26/72 in Jersey City, NJ, we have a great second set sequence of Tomorrow is Forever, Truckin'>The Other One>Baby Blue. Yes, another Other One. We hope that's OK with you. These three New Jersey shows are excellent, with one of them even making into the ranks of Dick's Picks, Volume 11.

Be sure to come back next week to check in on the Tapers' Section, where we'll stick within the rather slight parameters we did this week, which is to say more music from 1969-1971. Thanks for stopping in.

David Lemieux

Tomorrow Is Forever is a Dolly and Porter song

Well damn. As my spring concert schedule is full all I could do was Greensboro.

I get in at 12:00...NEVER have I seen a web process take so long. Each page-step slower than

the previous.

Finally show popps upand I have Floor, Sec A, Row 12, Seats 11-14...after another 20 minutes of the last 2 pages

finally opening and entering credit card info...a page appears telling me "I have taking to long, yadda...

and to empty my basket and try again."

Repeat the damn DEAL, floor are gone and end up in upper, sec 209 row E.

I felt less stress worrying if I did everything ok with my mail-orders back in the day before DROPPING

them in ol' snail mailbox to San Rafael.

Well damn. As my spring concert schedule is full all I could do was Greensboro.

I get in at 12:00...NEVER have I seen a web process take so long. Each page-step slower than

the previous.

Finally show popps upand I have Floor, Sec A, Row 12, Seats 11-14...after another 20 minutes of the last 2 pages

finally opening and entering credit card info...a page appears telling me "I have taking to long, yadda...

and to empty my basket and try again."

Repeat the damn DEAL, floor are gone and end up in upper, sec 209 row E.

I felt less stress worrying if I did everything ok with my mail-orders back in the day before DROPPING

them in ol' snail mailbox to San Rafael.

were those tickets still in the 80+ range, I'm curious if the "cheap seats" are in the rafters.

I'll be honest I'm shocked the demand is this high with those prices.

were those tickets still in the 80+ range, I'm curious if the "cheap seats" are in the rafters.

I'll be honest I'm shocked the demand is this high with those prices.

Upper seats for G-boro were about a 1/3 less in price. After spending some time over

at the PHIL Zone I wasn't the only one who had the same experience checking out.

The problem wasn't dead.net but when you then were transferred to the musictoday

website. I have bought many a ticket from musictoday and never a problem. I can

only assume demand alone is what crashed the servers.

I've been in and out of the waiting room for awhile now. I'm not even sure I'd purchase tix if I got in. The prices are a bit absurd, as is the venue out here.

I declined.

The only band I'd pay a hundred bucks for MUST have Jerry Garcia playing guitar.

I declined.

The only band I'd pay a hundred bucks for MUST have Jerry Garcia playing guitar.

Same here. When I finally got in after 2 hours of waiting, all they offered was the furthest opposite the stage. forget it.

That was the most poorly managed thing I have ever seen.

Same here. When I finally got in after 2 hours of waiting, all they offered was the furthest opposite the stage. forget it.

That was the most poorly managed thing I have ever seen.

Your experience was not an isolated incident.

The internets is abuzz with displeasure right now.

I'm sorta shocked that MSG sold out....

I'm not really too shocked at the sell-outs. Plenty of people never saw the GD and it's a chance to capture a fraction of the magic for them. I hope they have fun. I'll probably end up going, regardless....

I'd like to see the show. Besides a Phil Lesh show, I have never been to a Dead show during any of their tours. I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money, though. Come to think of it - I have not been to a concert in a couple of years now.

I'd like to see the show. Besides a Phil Lesh show, I have never been to a Dead show during any of their tours. I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money, though. Come to think of it - I have not been to a concert in a couple of years now.

If thats the case, you should definitely go.

Just got through to the Pepsi Center in Denver. Upper level, 3rd row: w/tax and handling fees= $115 and change....

I passed.

If it's any consolation, NYE tickets for WSP and YMSB sold out right away and I couldn't give away a 100 level ticket out front the night of.

If it's any consolation, NYE tickets for WSP and YMSB sold out right away and I couldn't give away a 100 level ticket out front the night of.

Hm. I may have taken it....

re: The Dead. I'm expecting plenty to be available closer to show time and for cheaper as it's a Thursday night.

Hm. I may have taken it....

re: The Dead. I'm expecting plenty to be available closer to show time and for cheaper as it's a Thursday night.

I would have given it to you. I only had about 15 minutes to try to get rid of it because I needed to get in well before Yonder took the stage. The funny thing is I sold a 300 level seat on Craig's List a week prior for full face.