The Grateful Dead

I would have given it to you. I only had about 15 minutes to try to get rid of it because I needed to get in well before Yonder took the stage. The funny thing is I sold a 300 level seat on Craig's List a week prior for full face.

Oh, thanks moe. I went to the Kimock/JGB thing, anyway.

I never really worry about tickets. If it doesn't happen it doesn't happen....I generally never have a problem getting to shows I want to see.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still really mad about this presale. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may not even bother for the regular sale. $100? Could it possibly be worth it? Wilco and Neil Young was almost worth it and I was right up front. My husband goes every year to the Allman Bros. Beacon run for $115, its worth it because it is such a small venue and security doesn't get uptight about people moving around. He usually makes it up front for part of it. But that much money for a band whose best attribute is dead? In crappy seats at venues that don't sound very good? I don't know.

So does this mean I've gotten old and crabby, or have I matured and become discerning?

I'm still really mad about this presale. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may not even bother for the regular sale.

I hear ya. The ticket prices definitely dampened my enthusiasm, too. Funny, I thought I'd be a lot more excited about the prospect of a full-band tour, but now that its here my thinking is "Meh, I'll just hang out and wait for Bobby or Phil to come around with their bands." Its not just the prices, but I just generally hate arena shows. I'd be more likely to go if they played some sheds over the summer--tickets would undoubtedly be cheaper, too.

My dad and I used to do the ABB at the Beacon every year when I lived in NY--totally worth it, every time. This? I dunno, I'm not feeling the excitement.

>my thinking is "Meh, I'll just hang out and wait for Bobby or Phil to come around with their bands."

That's my thinking, though really just for Phil. At this point, a Phil show (and probably the scene) is more interesting than a Dead show.

How Come Things Are So Strange Around Here?

Dick's Picks Volume 8 is the eighth live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on May 2, 1970 at Harpur College in Binghamton, New York. It was released in mid-1997.

The album contains the entire concert, except for one song

Some more news - from Jambands.com:

The Dead, Derek Trucks and Jack Johnson to Perform at Obama Inaugural Balls

The surviving members of the Grateful Dead will perform in Washington, DC this coming Tuesday as part of Barack Obama

I'd got to a lot more concerts - if there were no people there.

:thumbup I concur!

I picked it up at the library a few weeks ago. Great sound. Some nice playing. I think these shows were a bit under the radar because of the sound (at least in all the ones I had heard previous to this). The shows were not spectacular but they were quite solid, imo. Some nice nuggets in there.

I picked it up at the library a few weeks ago. Great sound. Some nice playing. I think these shows were a bit under the radar because of the sound (at least in all the ones I had heard previous to this). The shows were not spectacular but they were quite solid, imo. Some nice nuggets in there.

That must be a trip. I think the library here where I live does not have any cds except the classical music cds that they bought back in the 1990s.

I hope you have a good show.

Since I was reading about the Egypt shows in the Taper's book -

Did anyone buy this (link to the Egypt release)?

I don't think I've heard any of those shows.

Yeah, I got 'em. The stuff with Hamza El-Din is really good, but that was not a very good time in GD-Land for the most part. The DVD is excellent, though.

I concur. I heard bits of these shows before I got the Craddle release and the audio of the tapes was not very good. Rhino and the Dead organization did a good job cleaning up the sound. The DVD is great to watch, if nothing else for just having a visual of them play in front of the pyramids. Sure the camera work is a bit erratic but it does not hamper the the viewing much. Garcia is rather animated throughout the performance. There are definitely some clunkers, but worth the purchase.

Plus it is fun listening and watching the discs while reading the Compendium write up.

Those dudes going through the trash to get information - that's a trip.

That made me crack up. True "deadication", to say the least. Do you think people hung out behind Wilco's Loft to see if they can find info on a 2009 residency?

Perhaps that's why people in the past were always asking where the Loft is? Uh oh, I hope I didn't give anybody any ideas. :lol

Wow, this is a coincidence. I posted the interview link before I read it all the way through; the below is from end of the interview.

LP: If you could move forward 200 years from now and people were interested in knowing what your fondest memories were, what would you tell them?

BW: Well, when we were playing in Egypt and let me first say that we really didn't play that well, which was a result of being jet lagged along with other numerous difficulties. The electricity was hit and miss and was very disruptive to our flow. And the first night that we went on stage, we sound checked and tried to get everything as right as we possibly could but the electricity was on and off. We were playing at the Salumina Theater which is at the foot of the Sphinx, which in turn is at the foot of the great pyramid with two other pyramids behind it. They were all lit up spectacularly. But the problem was that we were also close to the Nile River and there were lots and lots of these big mosquitoes. After the stage lights came on, I saw this cloud of mosquitoes and I was getting bit and my immediate thought was, "welcome to hell." And just as I came to that conclusion, something flew by my head, and then another and then another. I looked across the stage and there were these big bats, a foot across feasting on all of these mosquitoes. And they saved our asses, and this happened every night.

On the third night, there was an eclipse with a full moon that lit up everything. I looked out across the moonscape along with the silhouette and there were two ridges that were lined up with Bedouins on their horses and camels, guns slung over their backs. And at that moment I thought, OK here are the Bedouins on the bluffs, silhouetted under a full moon and then in the backdrop is the great pyramid and the Sphinx. And then there is this thousand year old stage and on that stage is a rock and roll band surrounded by a cloud of bats. It was then that I had one of those moments where I thought, "Take me now lord, just take me now. I want to remember it just like this."

Third Dead Video

I forgot about this site - I have not looked at it for a while:

otherones.net

Also - I re-read The Grateful Dead Reader yesterday.

And I noticed that in one of the Phil interviews, he was the one who killed the release of Three From The Vault (back in the day) because he thought the performance was not that great.

In the liner notes of the release, the underlying reason seems to be the firing of Healy, and/or the concentration on Dick's Picks.

Link

January 19 - January 25, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

As we mentioned last week, we're going stick within a two year or so period this week at Tapers' Section, 1969-1971, but the music's great, so we hope you don't mind.

Our first stop this week is at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, on 1/25/69, where the Grateful Dead were playing the middle night of a three night run of shows that was being recorded for Live/Dead. This run of shows, as some of you might know, was the first live recording to the then-brand-new technology of 16 track audio tape. The more common 8 track tape had been in use for live recording for a few years, but in late 1968 the folks at Ampex created the first 2

Edited by Analogman

That 1/23/70 show Other One is really good and psychedelic. If I recall correctly, QMS was over there at the same time. Hank Harrison tells a story of Crosby sailing the Mayan over for those shows, for a load of Maui Wowie and some inspired lunacy.

I think there is some talk of that in Crosby's first book. I am going to listen to that show tonight - which breaks a long string of listening to the shows on a Monday night. I take it there must be some sort of DVD coming out - they sound good in that footage we have seen so far.

Photo from The Mid-Atlantic Ball.

You can find more at Getty Images.com - do a search using the phrase Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball.

Dancin