Winterland 3-20

Winterland 6-9

Winterland 12-29

Winterland NYE

Binghamton 11-6

Ill. 10-29

Lakeland, FLA 5-21

Hartford 5-28

Pretty much the entire spring run fits the bill....

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably mentioned this before, but the Playin' reprise from that 5/19 show that Lammy talked about is some of my very favorite pieces of GD ever.

I just went to archive.org to check that show out - but it's not there due to the fact has been released as Dick's Picks Vol. 29. I just looked it up - it's 6 cds.

The Dead store list of all the Dick's Picks.

Sometimes, I wish I had bought them when they were offering the entire series for a couple hundred bucks.

The guy who does the Dead Listening Blog is doing Podcasts now. I don't have a iPod, but I just download it and listen to it using Winamp. I use don't mess with such things, but I thought I would check this out - as this guy really puts a lot of work into his blog posts.

The track Little Sunflower from the June 4th 1975 Keystone show is pretty cool. This serves as a good example of what a great AUD tape can sound like. I'd like to have this show - I found it on bt.etree.org, but it's a dead seed, of course.

For folks who frequent the archive, anyone aware of any computer viruses present there? I'm no computer wizard of any kind, my knowledge of such things is minimal, it seems the last 2 times I've had issues with my computer where following trips to the archive. The latest, the screen started blinking, and now the screen is just black, no picture at all, I was only streaming as well, no download. Just coincidence?

For folks who frequent the archive, anyone aware of any computer viruses present there? I'm no computer wizard of any kind, my knowledge of such things is minimal, it seems the last 2 times I've had issues with my computer where following trips to the archive. The latest, the screen started blinking, and now the screen is just black, no picture at all, I was only streaming as well, no download. Just coincidence?

working fine for me.

Link

Ladies and Gentlemen, San Francisco men and their music, The Grateful Dead.

As we mentioned this week, we're going to check in on a whole bunch of 1970 Grateful Dead here at the Tapers' Section, but to start the week, we'll hit some 1967 Dead.

From 10/22/67 at Winterland, we have a nice 1967 combination of tunes, specifically Morning Dew, New Potato Caboose, Hurts Me Too, Cold Rain and Snow. There isn't too much 1967 in the vault, but thankfully what's there is outstanding.

Now we'll move on to one of the best runs of shows in Grateful Dead history, the three nights at the Fillmore East in New York, 2/11,13&14/70. Our first selection is from 2/11/70, and features Not Fade Away, Cumberland Blues, Cold Rain and Snow, High Time, Me and My Uncle. These standalone versions of Not Fade Away from 1970 are always so much fun. From that same show, we have the monster jam of Dark Star>Lovelight, complete with special guests galore.

From 2/13/70, we have two big tracks, Dark Star, which was featured on Dick's Picks Vol. 4, and Smokestack Lightning, which was included on Bear's Choice. Both tracks are certainly worthy of release to masses on these two fine albums.

Lastly this week, for a little taste of 2/14/70, we have Hard To Handle, also included on Bear's Choice. These 1970 versions of Hard To Handle are lot more raunchy and rocking than the perfection that would symbolize the 1971 versions, but the 1970 versions are equally interesting.

Stop by the Tapers' Section next week for some mighty fine 1969 and 1973 Grateful Dead. Lots of good stuff on the horizon.

David Lemieux

This is probably going to sound goofy but I just heard a fantastic GD song on Pandora. That is the kind of stuff I am looking for. Great harmonies, amazing guitar, and Jerry's voice which always kills me. The song was called "Ramble on Rose" and I believe it was on the long strange trip greatest hits album. Any idea what year/era that was recorded. Sounded amazing.

This is probably going to sound goofy but I just heard a fantastic GD song on Pandora. That is the kind of stuff I am looking for. Great harmonies, amazing guitar, and Jerry's voice which always kills me. The song was called "Ramble on Rose" and I believe it was on the long strange trip greatest hits album. Any idea what year/era that was recorded. Sounded amazing.

That album came out in '77 or '78. Half the album is studio versions and the other live versions. I think the "Ramble On Rose" was from an early 70s show, '72 or '73.

That album came out in '77 or '78. Half the album is studio versions and the other live versions. I think the "Ramble On Rose" was from an early 70s show, '72 or '73.

most of the stuff on strange trip is culled from europe 72. live album from, well, 1972. pick it up.

on a side note, i always thought that had they shelved europe 72 and put out another album after american beauty it would have been KILLER. can you imagine nice tight versions of jack straw, Tjed, he's gone, ramble, BT women. my hunch is bob didn't have enough tunes for an album.

c

I think Bob Hunter said that the original material on Skullfuck, Garcia, Ace, and Europe '72 would have been the KILLER follow up to Workingman's/Beauty. And, no doubt, it would have - but the Dead being the Dead it didn't work out that way. :stunned

'71-'72 was the most prolific period for songwriting. Both Bob And Jer were cranking out the tunes, and nearly all of them from that time rarely strayed from the rotation.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=522441

9/20/1970

It is seeding on Bt.etree. A very nice recording. A very great acoustic great, with Grisman (many believe) and Nelson sitting in. Also the electric set is great, esp. Easy Wind. Well worth the download and a listen to those who have not heard it. They also started to seed the whole 1970 year. Now I just to get another hard drive.

I have not been able to find the Legion of Mary show I wanted - but I did get this one:

MOTB Release: 0047 16/44.1

Release Date: 09/12/2007

Band: Legion Of Mary

Date: 06/21/1975 - Saturday

Venue: Keystone

Source: Audience FOB Recording

Set 1:

d1t01 - Let It Rock

d1t02 - I Feel Like Dynamite

d1t03 - Every Word You Say

d1t04 - Tuning

d1t05 - Little Sunflower

d1t06 - Tore Up Over You

d1t07 - Tough Mama

Set 2:

d2t01 - I'll Take A Melody

d2t02 - You Can Leave Your Hat On

d2t03 - Mississippi Moon

d2t04 - Harder They Come

d2t05 - Mystery Train

Legion Of Mary:

* Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals

* Merl Saunders - keyboards, vocals

* John Kahn - bass

* Martin Fierro - saxophone, flute

* Ron Tutt - drums

I have a couple L.O.M. shows on cassette somewhere here. Don't recall the dates without looking. But, that compilation that came out a few years ago is exquisite. If you haven't heard their take on Dylan's "Wicked Messenger" you MUST. It's got this agonizingly slow tempo, and Jer just SHREDS the solos. Amazing.

I have had a Freeborn Hall (8-30-74) LOM tape since about 1982 that has had a few hundred listens. The "He Ain't Give You None" on it still dazzles me.

Anyone have any Great American String Band (with Taj Mahal on bass)? I don't think I've ever heard any of these shows. It was a brief incarnation from spring '74-summer '74....

I have had a Freeborn Hall (8-30-74) LOM tape since about 1982 that has had a few hundred listens. The "He Ain't Give You None" on it still dazzles me.

Anyone have any Great American String Band (with Taj Mahal on bass)? I don't think I've ever heard any of these shows. It was a brief incarnation from spring '74-summer '74....

I have never listened to the shows, but the 4/20, 6/12, and 6/13 are part of the below torrent.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520767

http://www.thejerrysite.com/shows/years/1974

Usually, I don't mess with any band members solo efforts. But - I heard Little Sunflower on the podcast I mentioned a couple pages back - and decided to seek out the show it was from. As I said - I found it - but it is a dead seed, so I found another show. I really have not listened to the rest of the show yet - but that song Little Sunflower is pretty cool.

Link

This week we have four big jams for you, three of which are from 1973, and one from 1969.

Our first stop is at the Dream Bowl in Vallejo, CA, a dance hall located in this North Bay city. From this concert, which took place just a few days before the famous Fillmore West 1969 run of shows, we have Doin' That Rag>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Lovelight. Not quite the Live/Dead suite, but pretty close. And so well played!

Jumping ahead four years, we have both halves of the big jam from 2/19/73 in Chicago. The first portion features He's Gone>Truckin'>The Other One, with plenty of fine jamming throughout, and the show would end with the equally interesting sequence of Eyes of the World>China Doll, Sugar Magnolia, Casey Jones. This tour was loaded with great music, and this is certainly no exception.

Our last big jam of the week is from the very next show, on 2/21/73 in Champagne-Urbana, IL, and features the perfect combination of Truckin'>Eyes of the World. I really can't get enough 1973 Grateful Dead music.

Make sure you come by next week for music from 1966, 1969, 1973 and 1974. It's a busy week next week here at the Tapers' Section, so try not to miss it.

David Lemieux

weird, just put on the dream bowl show starting with the doin that rag. Was jamming on the here comes sunshine (1973/04/02), another great 73 jam.

weird, just put on the dream bowl show starting with the doin that rag. Was jamming on the here comes sunshine (1973/04/02), another great 73 jam.

Hell yes! HC Sunshine > Space > Bobby McGee. One of my favorite pieces of Spring '73. :thumbup

Well I bit the bullet and bought tickets for the added Allstate (Rosemont) show this morning. I passed on the the first show and ever since I have been kinda kicking myself. Did not want to spend the money unless I got floor tickets and I got lucky with decent tickets. Plus it will be fun taking my wife to the show, since she has never been to a Dead related show.