The Grateful Dead

Nice selection of tunes last night. From "everybody's dancin' in the streets" to "the first days are the hardest days". Throw in some oratory from Joe at the break and I'd have thought I died and went to heaven.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice selection of tunes last night. From "everybody's dancin' in the streets" to "the first days are the hardest days". Throw in some oratory from Joe at the break and I'd have thought I died and went to heaven.

Are we talking about the same Joe Biden? You know good ol' joe drug warrior biden, mr. mandatory minimum sentences, mr.crack a bigger offense then cocaine biden? I can't think how many dead heads have gone to jail due to his idea of a sane drug policy.

I will say hilarious to see phil and bobby in penguin suits.

It was a bit interesting to me that the Obama's first dance song at these balls was to Etta James' song "At Last".

Must admit Beyonce performance with the Obama's dancing was pretty cool. (Is Etta James still performing? Although Beyonce did a great job, why didn't James perform it?)

But At the Mid Atlantic gig, the Dead should have been asked to play it while the First couple danced, since the Etta performed with the Grateful Dead in the early 80's (82 new year i believe?). I just streamed it off of Archive a few weeks ago, I never heard it before. It sounded like Etta was having fun on stage with them. Any way hopefully the full Mid Atlantic show appears sometime.

Are we talking about the same Joe Biden? You know good ol' joe drug warrior biden, mr. mandatory minimum sentences, mr.crack a bigger offense then cocaine biden? I can't think how many dead heads have gone to jail due to his idea of a sane drug policy.

Yeah, but Joe's speeches can noodle on aimlessly with the best of them! ;)

Anyone have Jerry G box set 'all good things' box set? Just stumbled across it, didn't know they reissued all the solo records, and with what appears to be A LOT of bonus material. Have reflections, on vinyl, but that's all my solo jerry. Also, who's going to see the dead in philly? I haven't seen a dead related show since RFK 93 I believe, and am thinking should leave it be, but what fun to sit in the lot and strum dead tunes on my guitar again

That reminds me of the woman with the brush in the Led Zeppelin movie.

Ha ha She even disses my state.

This is a good example of why people should stay off the dope.

Yep. Someone needs to lay down the crack pipe.

I was reminded of the crazy chick who corners Trey in Bittersweet Motel.

Yep. Someone needs to lay down the crack pipe.

I was reminded of the crazy chick who corners Trey in Bittersweet Motel.

I've never seen that. I was just reading about the "Freakin' Girl" in the The Taper's Book.

I wonder what the story is behind this interview - I'd like to know.

Some clips from the Mid-Atlantic Ball.

So I went to buy tickets for Hartford today. $100 for upper level? Where's the cheap seats? The basement? Sorry, not this time.

w0w I thought that there would have been 50 dollar tickets in the back of the lower level, what a joke.

Link

January 26- February 1, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

As we close out January here at the Tapers' Section, we're going to listen to quite a bit of music from 1978, but we'll start our week from 12 years before that.

Our first selection this week is from a tape marked simply

I find it rather odd that David would consider 2/5/78 as the cut-off point between '77 and '78. In my mind Spring '77 stands alone as a version of the GD. Fall '77 through Summer '78 is a very much more harder edged, rockin' band (with a lot more distortion than usual) - but directly after Egypt the band seemed to get MUCH more jazzy (which carried over to the early Brent years). Jerry's tone post-Egypt became much cleaner, more "pinched", if you will...and the band as a whole sounded much looser than the more 'in yer face' style they had going 9/77-9/78.

I guess everyone has their own take on this.

That's an interesting take on '77-78, Mountain. I'd never thought of post-Egypt in those terms. My favorite period is '73-74 (which you could likely dissect into microperiods) because of the jazziness that Keith brought to the band, so I'll have to pay closer attention to the post-Egypt '78.

David Gans just posted the transcript of a 1991 Healy interview up on his blog.

GD Hour #130 was posted recently on DeadNet (we post a show from the GDH archives every Wednesday). And just now I stumbled across a transcript of the KPFA show from which the GDH broadcast was excerpted. My guest was Dan Healy, who was at that time the sound man for the Grateful Dead.

Grateful Dead Live at Tivolis Koncertsal on 1972-04-14

Set 1

Bertha

Me And My Uncle

Mr. Charlie

You Win Again

Black Throated Wind

Chinatown Shuffle

Loser

Me And Bobby McGee

Cumberland Blues

Playing In The Band

Tennessee Jed

El Paso

Big Boss Man

Beat It On Down The Line

Casey Jones

Set 2

Truckin'

It Hurts Me Too

Brown Eyed Women

Looks Like Rain

Dark Star ->

Sugar Magnolia

Good Lovin' ->

Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) ->

Who Do You Love? ->

Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) ->

Good Lovin'

Ramble On Rose

Not Fade Away ->

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->

Not Fade Away

Encore

One More Saturday Night

Which reminds me:Charlie Miller has a few down-loadable aud. re-mixes that are really quite good (as would anything musically be with his name attached to it). I was unaware that he went that route (outside of the sbds/matrix stuff) until a few days ago poking around on there. I dl'ed 4-5 shows of his and they're all excellent aud. quality.

We've mentioned him before here, but Charlie is one righteous dude.