The Grateful Dead

Phil's show last night at the Nokia was excellent. Stellar first set. I'd suggest trying to catch one of the remaining shows of the run.

Nokia Theatre, NYC 11/13/08

Set 1:

Here Comes Sunshine> Jam>

Till The Morning Comes

Doin' That Rag

Deep Elem Blues

When You're Walking Away

Jam>

Crazy Fingers> Jam>

Cold Rain & Snow

Set 2:

Mason's Children>

Minglewood Blues

Passenger> Jam>

This Wheels On Fire

New Speedway Boogie

^Sugaree

Playin' In The Band>

Not Fade Away>

Playin' In The Band

Donor Rap/Intros

enc:

Attics Of My Life

^w/Joan Osborne

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this certainly sounds good. :rolleyes

Maybe we'll finally get the answer to the question: "How does an axe chop off one part of one finger that is in the middle of all the other fingers?"

AWESOME! HA!

But seriously, this thing has bad news written all over it. I can only image the acid test sequences.... this is going to be a a sex drugs and well bluegrass kind of film....

Bump for 11/17/73 - I mention this show for the amazing Playin' > UJB > Dew > UJB > Playin' triple decker sandwich. I think it's the best version of this group of tunes (out of 4 or 5) - when they take Dew back into Uncle John's it truly is one of my favorite pieces of Dead music ever.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite second sets with an UJB split up: St. Paul. MN '81

Samson and Delilah, Althea, Estimated Prophet -> Eyes Of The World -> Drums -> Space -> Uncle John's Band -> Playing In The Band -> China Doll -> Uncle John's Band -> Playin...

The transition from China Doll back into UJB is fantastic.

Yea, I don't want to turn this thread into that. There is a thread about such movies around there somewhere. I will stick to saying that I think such a thing would be demeaning to Jerry and his family.

Agreed. The only reason I mentioned Sid and Nancy was because it was the only one I actually watched to the end. I have no interest at all in seeing a film made about JG.

what would ya'll recommend as the best dicks picks from 73-74

I already have dp.13 which is 73, i think.

what would ya'll recommend as the best dicks picks from 73-74

I already have dp.13 which is 73, i think.

I don't know if it's the best, but I'm partial to 19 from OKC. 14 is pretty great too but that may be what you're referring to as 13 is from '81, I believe.

I don't know if it's the best, but I'm partial to 19 from OKC. 14 is pretty great too but that may be what you're referring to as 13 is from '81, I believe.

I meant to say 12 which is from 74. By the way im grabbing that new frissell disc, thanks for the recommendation.

I meant to say 12 which is from 74. By the way im grabbing that new frissell disc, thanks for the recommendation.

You bet. But buyer beware, this is not the most accessible music in the world. I am a HUGE Frisell fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Well, that's nice that the 11/17/73 I mentioned this morning was seconded by the ultimate authority - not to mention the Fall '73 tour being the finest tour ever.

That 11/19/72 Dark Star > WRS Prelude > Half Step is awesome as well - that was one of the first cassettes I ever owned, and I sure did burn that sucker up.

And jc4: since moe mentioned the 10/19/73 Dick's Pick I'll mention DP #7 - from September '74 London. The Playin' on there might just be my very favorite stand-alone Playin'. It's REALLY out there.

11/20/71 - Pauley Pavillion, UCLA

II: Truckin' > Drums > Other One > Ramble On Rose > Sugar Mag, You Win Again, NFA > China Cat Jam > GDTRFB > NFA

I only have the second set, and from the reviews it sounds like the first set is pretty much a snoozefest. But the band sure comes out firin' for this set! Again, Keith has been a member for one month but he sounds so good here. There are some meltdowns and some bluesy sequences in the very excellent Other One that show how excited everyone is by the new direction Keith is taking the music - they haven't sounded so loose in well over a year (imo). The very unexpected segue into Ramble On Rose has a moment of some of Keith's best ragtime-style playing - it's really must hear stuff.

Of course, I don't know off the top of my head if I've EVER heard a show from '71 that doesn't have a NFA > GDTRFB sequence - but this one is fairly unique in that it has a fully developed theme based on China Cat Sunflower.

I don't know what it is about Pauley Pavillion, but all of the tapes I have from this venue are killers (11/17/73 & 12/30/78 come to mind as well).

Of all the years of GD I have in the collection 1980 is easily the most under-represented. I don't know why, because those first few years of Brent is some of my favorite stuff. From what I've read they were really on a tear from post-Warfield/Radio City until the end of the year.

Of all the years of GD I have in the collection 1980 is easily the most under-represented. I don't know why, because those first few years of Brent is some of my favorite stuff. From what I've read they were really on a tear from post-Warfield/Radio City until the end of the year.

The fall of '79 is particularly good, as well. I'll say that I think fall tours, in general, represent some of the best music they did. They always seemed to bust out some stellar stuff in the fall for whatever reason.

I've got a decent amount from all the years and can get into a certain year/era for a few days/weeks at a time.

Yeah I really like DP5 from December '79.

Awesome second set. Besides the stellar playing the thing I dig about that period is just the way the recordings sound - there's absolutely no clutter at all, almost no distortion from the guitars, lots of space in the soundfield etc. A lot of folks dislike Brent's "plinky" keyboard sound from this time but I love it - I think it is a perfect example of the 'wild mercury sound' that Dylan once described. Plus, his use of interstellar sounds on the Prophet synth makes "Space" an interesting listen as well.