The end is near!

Setting myself up for more ridicule here; I have been working extensively on the south side of Chicago this summer and fall and the feeling about this election is electric in the African American neighborhoods of this town. If the expectation is as high in all communities like this in America, there will be millions of folks coming to the polls to usher in the Obama administration. You see signs, tee shirts, bumper stickers all over and today at lunch I saw a couple guys in Obama caps. I doubt any election in recent memory will bring out the African American community like this one will and their sense of pride in electing what they consider one of their own is palpable. Even though the McCain campaign is trying to paint Obama as a radical or worse, an out of touch intellectual, the people in the neighborhoods of the southside of Chicago count him as one of their own, unlike a few mamby pamby liberals who feel Barack simply doesn't represent them or the odd Wilco fan here on VC.

LouieB

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setting myself up for more ridicule here; I have been working extensively on the south side of Chicago this summer and fall and the feeling about this election is electric in the African American neighborhoods of this town. If the expectation is as high in all communities like this in America, there will be millions of folks coming to the polls to usher in the Obama administration. You see signs, tee shirts, bumper stickers all over and today at lunch I saw a couple guys in Obama caps. I doubt any election in recent memory will bring out the African American community like this one will and their sense of pride in electing what they consider one of their own is palpable. Even though the McCain campaign is trying to paint Obama as a radical or worse, an out of touch intellectual, the people in the neighborhoods of the southside of Chicago count him as one of their own, unlike a few mamby pamby liberals who feel Barack simply doesn't represent them or the odd Wilco fan here on VC.

LouieB

I happened to catch Frontline last night - and in the episode they talked about how Chicago is the "black people capitol" - due to the fact that Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, and Jeremiah Wright and their followers/organizations are all headquartered in Chicago.

I happened to catch Frontline last night - and in the episode they talked about how Chicago is the "black people capitol" - due to the fact that Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, and Jeremiah Wright and their followers/organizations are all headquartered in Chicago.
....and despite having had a falling out with basically all three, Barack is still the favorite son here....

LouieB

LouieB

Kate was in St. Louis this weekend and said that the town has Obama fever -- murals being painted and stuff like that.

Based on the number of Obama signs in and around my area, one in which you rarely see signs for any Democrats, Illinois looks to be a bigger landslide than ever. Thought you would all like to know this.

Kate was in St. Louis this weekend and said that the town has Obama fever -- murals being painted and stuff like that.

It's like that here as well.

I think the urban vote in Missouri is going to be surprising in it's magnitude.

Based on the number of Obama signs in and around my area, one in which you rarely see signs for any Democrats, Illinois looks to be a bigger landslide than ever. Thought you would all like to know this.

There must be an echo in here....

Does anyone else find it odd that felons are allowed to hold a seat in the Senate but can't vote in many states?

:lol

Its going to blow McCain/Palin away.

LouieB

Speaking of batshit crazy, Tim friggin Robbins. I assume you all saw him on Maher last week?

I didn't see it... I generally listen to the podcast a week behind schedule. By batshit crazy, do you mean a bit radical in his politics? Conspiracy theorist?

I look forward to listening. I love Maher generally. I can't think of a Tim Robbins vehicle I've liked in quite some time.

That's where I am and seeing the change everywhere. It's weird and wonderful all at the same time to see a red-neck truck with an Obama sticker on it. It has really made me look at how I judge people. I just went to a hayride in some serious MO country side in full Obama gear after a parade Saturday. I pulled up to a field full of trucks and men in overalls roasting hot dogs. I was a little afraid @ first because I assumed them to all be McCain supporters. Come to find out after a bit there were many Obama supporters that loved my Obama t-shirt and overload of political buttons. :blush

Seeing Obama in Kansas City was an amazing experience as well. All kinds of people from Missouri and Kansas (75,000 plus) hanging out for hours just to hear O speak for 45 minutes. Poor McCain had like 1,500 or so the same week.

I can already start to see the way the McCain campaign can be looked at through the backwards lens of history:

A shocking, somewhat random choice of a female evangelist for the VP that backfired.

In fighting in his campaign base.

Negative tone.

Erratic behavior, often changing stances on the same day.

He and his campaign have put a lot of info out their for voters to judge -and you don't need to think as critically as most people on here do- to gather that he's a sinking ship. All the more reason if some mutant future happens where he wins, we're in deep doo-doo.

Setting myself up for more ridicule here;

unlike a few mamby pamby liberals who feel Barack simply doesn't represent them or the odd Wilco fan here on VC.

LouieB

You wouldn't set yourself up for ridicule if you weren't actively being a dick and talking down to people. God damn...

I know, I know..

Palin was introduced to the crowd by Tito Munoz, a small business owner from neighboring Prince William County, whom Palin referred to as "Tito the Builder." He wore a yellow hard hat and drew chants of "Tito, Tito."

"Not since the Jackson Five has the name 'Tito' been used so often," Palin said.

Not bad. She might be working on her daytime talk show act.

I read there may be a reality show with the Palins. An Osbournes meets Northern Exposure. Baby due in December, moose fry at the wedding in summer 2009..lots to focus on :monkey

I was just thinking of the NE episode today where Chris gets all dressed up for election day.

On what? Figuring out a way to get rid of the Al-Aqsa Mosque so the Temple can be rebuilt and Armageddon take place?

I was just thinking of the NE episode today where Chris gets all dressed up for election day.

And he wasn't even allowed to vote :ohwell . What a cool cat Chris was. I miss that show. It's always been my dream to live in Alaska (till Palin came to light). I have NE on DVD and with how cold it is outside I may start a fire tonight and watch me a little. I won't let Palin destroy my dream of living in the fake Northern Exposure world with Ruth Ann & Dr. Fleischman.

And he wasn't even allowed to vote :ohwell . What a cool cat Chris was. I miss that show. It's always been my dream to live in Alaska (till Palin came to light). I have NE on DVD and with how cold it is outside I may start a fire tonight and watch me a little. I won't let Palin destroy my dream of living in the fake Northern Exposure world with Ruth Ann & Dr. Fleischman.

I have not seen that show in a long time. The DVDS are very expensive, as I recall.