The end is near!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smug??? Hell yes my posts are smug. But not really that smug in relation to the overwhelming smugness that has been coming from those who just can't quite see what the issue here is.

If you voted for Obama aren't you proud to have done so? If you are only begrudgingly voting for him then I guess you still don't really understand my point. Millions of people in this country are voting for Obama out of a true sense of optimism and hope rather than picking the lesser of two evils. Do we expect Barack to be perfect? No!! But after eight years of George W. Bush shouldn't we at least feel some relief in voting for someone who we believe is of higher quality? If people in some of the most depressed areas of this country can feel that hope, can't we?

Contrary to what you seem to be reading into my posts, I am not smug, I am baiting people who have a rather shallow and short term view of what is going on in this election. I accept that this is not the end all and be all of what needs to be done here, but it should at least be recognized as a first step (and a postitive step) and not some sort of stupidity on the parts of those who feel that casting a ballot for Obama is important.

LouieB

Yes, Louie, the bold parts of your post above are smug, as you suggest that people who vote differently than you (a) don't understand your point and/or (B) don't see the big picture. You seem to believe that your way is the only way of seeing things. Oddly enough, I would imagine that there are people who both understand your point, and disagree with it. I'm plenty happy with my vote for Obama, and I have a lot of hope for what I think he can do for this country. I'm also plenty happy with other people feeling differently from me, as long as they come by their viewpoint honestly. Doesn't mean I'll be happy if Obama loses because Lammycat voted for a third party candidate, but I can respect his opinion even as I disagree with it.

Lou, can you not see how your posts can be taken as just as smug? I have already cast my vote for Obama, and I'm certain he will be a better president than McCain would, but not enough that I'm willing to talk down to those who disagree.

That's ok, honey, because I can talk down to the haters double time.

i caught on the news this morning that part of thier plan involved capping him via a drive-by while wearing white top hats/tuxedos. as a result, i've had a loop of taco's 'puttin on the ritz' video in my head all morning. idiots.

"If you're blue because your state/voted blue/a felony you must commit/grab Barack's bits"

***In convo with Playbook, a top McCain adviser one-ups the priceless “diva” description, calling her “a whack job.”

This might be the most brilliant strategy I've seen from them yet. Seeing McCain and Palin (or their staff, at least) flinging insults at each other is making both of them seem way more likable. This is entertaining--they should have started attacking each other a month ago instead of attacking Obama, which ended up only hurting them.

I think another member of your group already busted on him for that post - ain't that enough?

:mellow

So everyone isn't from Chicago, what does that have to do with the fact that massive numbers of African-Americans all over this country see Obama as their candidate and are supporting him??

He's a black democratic candidate. Is your post some kind of revelation? African Americans vote Democratic something like 80% of the time anyways (and I'm sure the number is far higher in Chicago), so it's not like it's exactly unexpected.

What I am getting from your posts is that I am missing out on this because he is black. As in, my not voting for him is my voting against a black president. Maybe I'm reading more into your post than is there, but that's what I'm getting out of it (among other smug dickishness that I've ignored because I'm heading out the door to vote).

People fucking disagree, Louie. I don't see what is so hard for you to understand about this. It has nothing to do with Barrack or McCain 90% of the time. It has to do with a basic disagreement on principles. I don't necessarily agree with Obama more than I do with McCain, so what should I vote on? Hope? Change? I don't really buy it.

I'll make my decision when I get into the booth. I'm definitely not voting for McCain/Palin, but at this point, I'm almost leaning towards Obama. But if I vote for him, I'll feel really dirty, and it doesn't have anything to do with him. It has to do with the party he represents and the system he represents, both of which have such serious flaws that a vote for him is making me feel a little bit sick. So I probably won't. Who knows.

AlbumCovers-SammyHagar-VOA1984.jpg

As much as I like you man I had to report you for this. Uncalled for.

Yes, Louie, the bold parts of your post above are smug, as you suggest that people who vote differently than you (a) don't understand your point and/or (B) don't see the big picture. You seem to believe that your way is the only way of seeing things. Oddly enough, I would imagine that there are people who both understand your point, and disagree with it. I'm plenty happy with my vote for Obama, and I have a lot of hope for what I think he can do for this country. I'm also plenty happy with other people feeling differently from me, as long as they come by their viewpoint honestly. Doesn't mean I'll be happy if Obama loses because Lammycat voted for a third party candidate, but I can respect his opinion even as I disagree with it.
Okay sure...in a week these threads will be over and we can all go back to being smug about other stupid bullshit instead, but for now I will continue some wide eyed amazement and a bit of distress about how negative people are about voting for Obama and how anyone in their "right" mind can vote third party after eight years of George Bush. No need to rehash this argument because it has been made dozens of times here, but you either vote to change this sucker up completely (Obama is as complete as we are going to get this go around) or vote to assist (or actively support) President Palin/McCain into office.

Much of what has been going on here is hardly honest disagreement. When I commented that others are far more smug than I am, (actually what I am engaging in here is sarcasim actually), baiting Obama supporters with all kinds of petty concerns when the big picture is serious and real, seems beyond smug, but is actually highly cynical. The "I can't vote for Obama because I don't agree with this or that position etc. etc. ad nauseum and I simply can't support the Democrats, etc. etc.," is just intellectual bullshit to me. You either vote Obama or you vote to support Palin/McCain; that's about all this is election is about really. If you aren't scared of a Palin/McCain presidency, then vote for them and support their positions. THAT I can respect. The rest is simply bullshit. You want more war, more tax breaks for the rich, a more conservative Supreme Court that could overturn Roe v. Wade, etc. etc., that's what a non-Obama vote is. That's my postion, it is not smug or cynical.

That's ok, honey, because I can talk down to the haters double time.
Thanks for your support......

LouieB

He's a black democratic candidate. Is your post some kind of revelation? African Americans vote Democratic something like 80% of the time anyways (and I'm sure the number is far higher in Chicago), so it's not like it's exactly unexpected.

African Americans who vote vote Democratic 80% of the time or more. But voter turnout is usually low in predominantly black areas. This time around it should be a lot higher. And I don't think it's only because Obama is black (though that certainly is a factor), but I think also greatly because he actually seems to be giving a voice to people who otherwise don't often find someone speaking for them at such high levels -- and that's not just black people, but also a lot of other people such as myself who just typically don't expect politicians at high levels of government to care about the issues that are important to them.

People fucking disagree, Louie. I don't see what is so hard for you to understand about this. It has nothing to do with Barrack or McCain 90% of the time. It has to do with a basic disagreement on principles. I don't necessarily agree with Obama more than I do with McCain, so what should I vote on? Hope? Change? I don't really buy it.

I find it hard to believe that neither candidate appeals to you more than the other on issues (there are plenty of differences between them) but if that's the case, there's a lot more you can look at, such as: judgment, competence, understanding of the issues, temperment, leadership abilities, goals, etc. I happen to think that Obama trumps McCain in each of these issues. You're free to disagree with that, of course, but it's not as if issues and "change" are the only things that there are to consider.

Okay sure...in a week these threads will be over and we can all go back to being smug about other stupid bullshit instead, but for now I will continue some wide eyed amazement and a bit of distress about how negative people are about voting for Obama and how anyone in their "right" mind can vote third party after eight years of George Bush. No need to rehash this argument because it has been made dozens of times here, but you either vote to change this sucker up completely (Obama is as complete as we are going to get this go around) or vote to assist (or actively support) President Palin/McCain into office.

Much of what has been going on here is hardly honest disagreement. When I commented that others are far more smug than I am, (actually what I am engaging in here is sarcasim actually), baiting Obama supporters with all kinds of petty concerns when the big picture is serious and real, seems beyond smug, but is actually highly cynical. The "I can't vote for Obama because I don't agree with this or that position etc. etc. ad nauseum and I simply can't support the Democrats, etc. etc.," is just intellectual bullshit to me. You either vote Obama or you vote to support Palin/McCain; that's about all this is election is about really. If you aren't scared of a Palin/McCain presidency, then vote for them and support their positions. THAT I can respect. The rest is simply bullshit. You want more war, more tax breaks for the rich, a more conservative Supreme Court that could overturn Roe v. Wade, etc. etc., that's what a non-Obama vote is. That's my postion, it is not smug or cynical.

You know what, it's not worth it. You are so god damned closeminded to anyone who disagrees with you. Fuck it, you are right.

judgment, competence, understanding of the issues, temperment, leadership abilities, goals

Actually, the other stuff is why I'm considering him right now. But I don't really want to.

I'll make my decision when I get into the booth. I'm definitely not voting for McCain/Palin, but at this point, I'm almost leaning towards Obama. But if I vote for him, I'll feel really dirty, and it doesn't have anything to do with him. It has to do with the party he represents and the system he represents, both of which have such serious flaws that a vote for him is making me feel a little bit sick. So I probably won't. Who knows.

Agreed

Elections always make me a little misty eyed. :usa

Vote your conscience and to hell with anyone who would tell you otherwise.

Yep.