The end is near!

Last night, as I was watching CNN's news feature called, Poll of Polls, there was a commercial for an upcoming news segment about Purity Balls. I thought I was watching SNL there for a moment.

:lol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just kind of a cool historical bonus for me w/ obama, but i can say w/ all honesty...and this is part of why i'm so enthused about him...his performance in this campaign has made me all but forget he's even the first black man to be on the cusp of the presidency. my opinion only, of course.

Me too.

I never really even considered his 'race' to be a factor until recently when I started checking out the message boards on the Chicago Trib. Wow, there are a lot of vocal bigots out there.

So I suppose the best way to justify my vote is like this:

As much as it pains me to do so, I had to vote against my ideals. I had to put aside my disdain for the 2 party system and put my trust in a man who I do think has the potential to do a good job, but who may not be able to given the circumstances. But, this is no time for idealism. And I hope Barack himself understands that. He's looking at a possible filibuster proof majority, so he would be able to push almost anything he wants through. And that's a lot of power at a time when what we need is for the president to have less power, not more. I hope he is able to put what is best for the country ahead of what is best for democratic special interests and the base. Sure, Iraq isn't doing great. But if we leave before the nation is ready for it, we're going to set ourselves up for a lot more problems in the future. Sure, people need health care. But our economy also can't afford to have more money taken out of it in the form of higher taxes.

I'd have much more faith in him if he was looking at a split government, because I don't think we need someone guiding the ship by hand. Things may look grim, but this happens. And everytime the economy does dip down (or just flat out go down), it comes back up eventually. You can't have sustained growth nonstop or it will fall on itself. I just hope we don't judge him based on that, because he's not going to be able to control it.

Probably the biggest thing that made me vote for him is Palin. This is such an astoundingly terrible choice for Vice President that I couldn't, in good faith vote for McCain, and as I said earlier, idealism isn't right for this time. We need to be strong while handling things delicately. And I hope Barack is the man for the job. It's going to be a tough go for him, but hopefully he can get through it and get us out on the other side, better than before. And I believe it's going to happen, it's just a question of when.

And like I said earlier, the fact that he's black has nothing to do with it. If I was going to vote for him because he is black, why not vote for Palin because she's a woman? It's just as shallow.

I had more to say, and I'm not sure if this really says anything, but that's what's there.

As much as it pains me to do so, I had to vote against my ideals. I had to put aside my disdain for the 2 party system and put my trust in a man who I do think has the potential to do a good job, but who may not be able to given the circumstances. But, this is no time for idealism. And I hope Barack himself understands that. He's looking at a possible filibuster proof majority, so he would be able to push almost anything he wants through. And that's a lot of power at a time when what we need is for the president to have less power, not more. I hope he is able to put what is best for the country ahead of what is best for democratic special interests and the base. Sure, Iraq isn't doing great. But if we leave before the nation is ready for it, we're going to set ourselves up for a lot more problems in the future. Sure, people need health care. But our economy also can't afford to have more money taken out of it in the form of higher taxes.

I'd have much more faith in him if he was looking at a split government, because I don't think we need someone guiding the ship by hand. Things may look grim, but this happens. And everytime the economy does dip down (or just flat out go down), it comes back up eventually. You can't have sustained growth nonstop or it will fall on itself. I just hope we don't judge him based on that, because he's not going to be able to control it.

Probably the biggest thing that made me vote for him is Palin. This is such an astoundingly terrible choice for Vice President that I couldn't, in good faith vote for McCain, and as I said earlier, idealism isn't right for this time. We need to be strong while handling things delicately. And I hope Barack is the man for the job. It's going to be a tough go for him, but hopefully he can get through it and get us out on the other side, better than before. And I believe it's going to happen, it's just a question of when.

And like I said earlier, the fact that he's black has nothing to do with it. If I was going to vote for him because he is black, why not vote for Palin because she's a woman? It's just as shallow.

I had more to say, and I'm not sure if this really says anything, but that's what's there.

I really need to know if you posted all that from your iPhone outside a voting booth.

I voted yesterday.

The people at the election stations said the amount of people voting early has been insane (in a good way).

Power to the People!!

And I hope Barack is the man for the job. It's going to be a tough go for him, but hopefully he can get through it and get us out on the other side, better than before.

So your vote sealed the deal?! Sweet!

There was a very recent Time or Newsweek article, I forgot which, that discussed why Obama will have to govern from the center. In a nutshell, he is a politician, and if he gets elected, he will want to get re-elected. This guy is no starry-eyed liberal. Bush tried to drive an already right-wing party into an extreme right-wing party, and he paid the price he deserved (well, not really ... impeachment would have been the best price, IMHO). He limps out as the lamest of lame ducks, and fuck him. I'm incredibly glad to see him go.

If Obama tried to drive the country far left, he'd pay a huge price even before 2010. I think he will be somewhat successful, but in an age of lowered expectations - and taking into consideration the unspeakable mess he inherits - he'll be doing well if we're just somewhat better off four years from now than we are today.

I really need to know if you posted all that from your iPhone outside a voting booth.

No. I made it home. Sorry.

So your vote sealed the deal?! Sweet!

I think this things pretty much locked up no matter who I vote for, but yeah. I think that is just about it.

There was a very recent Time or Newsweek article, I forgot which, that discussed why Obama will have to govern from the center. In a nutshell, he is a politician, and if he gets elected, he will want to get re-elected. This guy is no starry-eyed liberal. Bush tried to drive an already right-wing party into an extreme right-wing party, and he paid the price he deserved (well, not really ... impeachment would have been the best price, IMHO). He limps out as the lamest of lame ducks, and fuck him. I'm incredibly glad to see him go.

If Obama tried to drive the country far left, he'd pay a huge price even before 2010. I think he will be somewhat successful, but in an age of lowered expectations - and taking into consideration the unspeakable mess he inherits - he'll be doing well if we're just somewhat better off four years from now than we are today.

Obama will have 18 months to turn things around, or your going to see a replay of the first Clinton term when the opposition party takes Congress back. You heard it here first.

I think this things pretty much locked up no matter who I vote for, but yeah. I think that is just about it.

I was picturing you (as Gary was too) stepping outside the booth and unleashing that editorial piece. It was pretty good.

Obama will have 18 months to turn things around, or your going to see a replay of the first Clinton term when the opposition party takes Congress back. You heard it here first.

Unfortunately much of that turn around stuff is out of his hands for an immediate turn around. Our fiscal problems are likely to take quite a while to resolve.

I was picturing you (as Gary was too) stepping outside the booth and unleashing that editorial piece. It was pretty good.

Sometimes great minds and dumbasses think alike.

spot on.

Remember Victoria Jackson from SNL about 20 years ago?

"I don't want a political label, but Obama bears traits that resemble the anti- Christ and I'm scared to death that un- educated people will ignorantly vote him into office.

"You see, what bothers me most, besides being a Communist, and a racist (Obama writes in his book, From Dreams of My Father, "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and and animosity against my (white) mother's race.") (Obama's "religion" of the last 20 years is Black Liberation Theology. What is that? "It is simply Marxism dressed up in Christian rhetoric. But unlike traditional Marxism, Black Liberation Theology emphasizes race rather than class. It's leading theorist is James Cone who says Jesus was black, African-Americans are the chosen people, and whites are the devil. Cone says, "What we need is the destruction of whiteness, which is the source of human misery in the world." The McAlvany Intelligence Advisor), is that he is a LIAR. He pretends to be a Christian and he incriminates himself everytime he speaks about Christianity. To lie about being a believer in Christ is very dangerous. Lightning could strike him at any minute! But seriously, he doesn't have a clue what the Bible says and yet he pretends to be a church- going Christian to win votes. That is sooooo evil."

Geez, and I already voted. Oh well.

Remember Victoria Jackson from SNL about 20 years ago?

"I don't want a political label, but Obama bears traits that resemble the anti- Christ and I'm scared to death that un- educated people will ignorantly vote him into office.

"You see, what bothers me most, besides being a Communist, and a racist (Obama writes in his book, From Dreams of My Father, "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and and animosity against my (white) mother's race.") (Obama's "religion" of the last 20 years is Black Liberation Theology. What is that? "It is simply Marxism dressed up in Christian rhetoric. But unlike traditional Marxism, Black Liberation Theology emphasizes race rather than class. It's leading theorist is James Cone who says Jesus was black, African-Americans are the chosen people, and whites are the devil. Cone says, "What we need is the destruction of whiteness, which is the source of human misery in the world." The McAlvany Intelligence Advisor), is that he is a LIAR. He pretends to be a Christian and he incriminates himself everytime he speaks about Christianity. To lie about being a believer in Christ is very dangerous. Lightning could strike him at any minute! But seriously, he doesn't have a clue what the Bible says and yet he pretends to be a church- going Christian to win votes. That is sooooo evil."

Geez, and I already voted. Oh well.

Did she say that while contorting herself upside down on the SNL newsdesk?

Link?

Last night, as I was watching CNN's news feature called, Poll of Polls, there was a commercial for an upcoming news segment about Purity Balls. I thought I was watching SNL there for a moment.

Is that part of that creepy Christian movement thing where, like, daughters pledge their undying virginity to their dads before they then go and blow every guy in high school?

Is that part of that creepy Christian movement thing where, like, daughters pledge their undying virginity to their dads before they then go and blow every guy in high school?

I would think it is probably related to some religious trip - but I don't know for sure.

How on earth can anyone take Palin seriously if McCain's own advisors are privately calling her a "whack job"? Outside of the Hannitys, Limbaughs and Dobsons of the world, is there any intelligent case to be made for this woman?

I'm sure there are some who will rationalize (i.e. invent) the ways in which Palin is misunderstood, maligned, mis-characterized, overhandled, underhandled, mishandled and whatnot. But I think elected officials ought to be able to handle themselves - especially ones who are going to sit across the table from other world leaders.