The end is near!

If we'd have LISTENED to Jimmy Carter, we would already have the post-oil future today, instead of being totally up Fucked River.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No president has had the support of such a majority (if Democrats get to 60-40) since Jimmy Carter won the 1976 election.

And that sure worked out fantastically. :no

Were you even alive then?

I was. My parents still look back with fondness to the good old days of gas lines and mortgage interest rates in the high teens and low twentys.

I was. My parents still look back with fondness to the good old days of gas lines and mortgage interest rates in the high teens and low twentys.

while i don't think Carter was a great president, the interest rates (and to a lesser extent the oil crisis) had little to do with his Presidency directly, there were a lot of outside factors at work (much like during Clinton & Bush Jr.)

also, with inflation adjusted, home prices were way more out of reach in the early 90's even with the lower interest rates, because home prices were vastly inflated. it's not cut and dry to just say "hey look at how high mortage interest rates were in 1979" without considering how cheap home prices still were at that point.

much like the situation we're currently in now, it's going to be a tough go for whoever is President, same if Ford had won

I heard on NPR yesterday that the Hillary supporters for McCain contingent was at about 5%.

And I would expect that many of those are probably more likely to just stay home than to actually vote McCain, since doing so doesn't really make a lot of sense for them from a policy standpoint. But what do I know?

This could be the kick in the ass that the Republicans need AND deserve. Who knows who will be the Republican nominee in 2012, but it surely will be much stronger than the middle-of-the-road, bland McCain.

Or, as is looking likely, the party will sink further into the mire of right wing religious fundamentalism and straight up nuttiness

Hey dude, I was only 6 in 1976. Chill out.

I was 8, and deeply concerned.

And I would expect that many of those are probably more likely to just stay home than to actually vote McCain, since doing so doesn't really make a lot of sense for them from a policy standpoint. But what do I know?

One guy I know is one of these Hillasry Supporters for McCain. When you ask him about it, his reasoning doesn't make much sense until you get a few beers in him and the racist drivel starts flowing out. Good thing he's Canadian and can't vote anyway.

How the issue of race is portrayed by the right is interesting in this election From listening to this guy I know or the conservative talk radio station I occassionally turn on, it seems like they're playing the victim card. Like, we can't say we don't like black people so let's talk about how Barack Obama hates white people. It's ludicrous. It reminds me of the PR spin I've seen the modern KKK use on TV: we don't hate black people, we just really, really like white people. :hmm

Liar.

Liar.

Dude. You obviously have never met my mom, who made me watch the Watergate hearings so I would know how evil Nixon was.

I'm sorry.

I know! I wanted to watch Spider-Man!