ETA: OR we could have a situation where either TT or OU lose to Mizzou and you have the same situation as when NE played for the BCS Championship despite not even winner their Big 12 division. I don't think that will happen though.

Well the one nice thing for Texas in this situation is that, assuming the SEC winner takes the #1 spot, and Missouri wins the Big 12 over Oklahoma, Texas really would be the next team in line to get into the #3 spot. You could say, "but they didn't win their division or conference", but then its possible that the next spot will be held by USC, who also probably won't win their conference. You'd have to reach down to Penn State or Utah if you really wanted a team that won its conference, and I don't really see that happening

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know (and I know this will be an unpopular opinion) this is what i love about the BCS! :lol I love the NCAA BB tournament, but I love college football for games, yes, but also for the fact that there is a week of interesting debate between games. The BCS being so flawed keeps football on my mind all week, all season. Whereas if there was a playoff, I wouldn't pay attention at all until January, just like I don't pay much attention to college hoops until March.

I know you're a big anti-Texas guy, but if it really does come down to Oklahoma and Texas, shouldn't the outcome of a game played on a neutral field have the most significance?

I'm not an anti texa$ guy at all, just cuz I think there are some NCAA rules that have built in advantages for programs like Texa$ doesnt mean I hate them, I cant root for them though, it's like rooting for the dealer in Vegas, I really respect their tradition and their baseball program....now I'm anti U$C, Miami, Pissouri, and Colorado

If OU wins the Big 12 south and title though they do deserve to go to the NC game, how can you deny a team who won the best conference in America? Texa$ should have played better teams out of conference, playing UTEP and Rice is hurting them, looks like its time for the Horn$ to put on any Okie State gear they might have, say OU makes the Big 12 title game Pissouri (who I do hate) could beat them and if that happens its Texa$ in the NC game...if they beat A&M, which their 5 star scout team might be able to do

FWIW a Texa$-OU rematch in the national title game would be fun, how about that defensive effort by OU though Sat night against Texas Tech? Maybe Venables should be the next head coach at Texa$??

You know (and I know this will be an unpopular opinion) this is what i love about the BCS! :lol I love the NCAA BB tournament, but I love college football for games, yes, but also for the fact that there is a week of interesting debate between games. The BCS being so flawed keeps football on my mind all week, all season. Whereas if there was a playoff, I wouldn't pay attention at all until January, just like I don't pay much attention to college hoops until March.

I actually half agree with this. I think a 4 team tournament would be the sweet spot for college football, since you'd keep most of the controversy, without REALLY screwing people over. You'd have a ton of people fighting over that number 4 spot, just like everyone is fighting over the number 2 spot now.

Really the only team that can complian about the BC$ is Auburn, they ran the table in 2004 with nothing to show for it, since the BC$ has been around any teams that have got "screwed" out of playing for a national title had at least one loss....win all your games and its not a problem, unless you are Auburn in 2004

Or Boise State, or Hawaii, etc.

I know, I know, those teams weren't as good as some of the 1 loss teams. But it's still stupid that, under the current system, it is literally impossible for teams outside of a few conferences to win the championship. Those teams did everything possible -- won every game on their schedule -- but still didn't get a shot. And that's why the BCS is a sham. Doesn't matter how obvious it is that a team isn't as good as another -- if it has won every single game, it should be at least possible to win the championship. Otherwise why even pretend that it's the NCAA championship. It should just be called the major conference championship because teams outside of those conferences are systematically excluded.

Yeah but 99.9% of the players and coaches of non-BCS conferences would have gone to a BCS school had they the option. May suck for them, but their playoffs were during recruitment season while still in HS. Should we include every Divsion II school that goes undefeated as well? You gotta draw a line somewhere. If we had an 8 team playoff, how many years do you think a non-BCS conference team makes it in the top 8? If we're honest with ourselves, the answer is rarely to never. Hawaii got a BCS Bowl game and showed why they aren't in a BCS conference.

Division II has its own championship system. With a playoff.

Sure, it's usually going to be the major conference schools making a hypothetical playoff anyway, but at least the undefeated minor conference schools have a chance. You can still reward the major conference teams with higher seedings or whatever if it really matters.

Again, I acknowledged that Hawaii wasn't as good as those other schools. But I fail to see how it's even a legitimate system if 2/3rds of the teams are disqualified before the season even starts.

Division II has its own championship system. With a playoff.

Sure, it's usually going to be the major conference schools making a hypothetical playoff anyway, but at least the undefeated minor conference schools have a chance. You can still reward the major conference teams with higher seedings or whatever if it really matters.

Again, I acknowledged that Hawaii wasn't as good as those other schools. But I fail to see how it's even a legitimate system if 2/3rds of the teams are disqualified before the season even starts.

Well my point is that 2/3 of the schools are essentially minor league teams. When they've been given the shot, they fail (99.9% of the time). BTW, I would say that 0.01% is Boise State over OK and there's still no way, IMO, they deserved to be in the BCS Championship. They are undefeated because they play weak competition. The Atlantic 10 and the Big East were essentially disqualified before the season too.

Right now you've got in the BCS:

1 Alabama

2 Texas

3 Oklahoma

4 Florida

5 USC .7974

6 Utah .7858

7 Texas Tech

8 Penn State

Does anyone really think Utah would beat ANY of those other teams, let alone all of them?

My point is, if they're going to be considered minor league, then put them in a different league where they are eligible for the championship. If they're all playing in the same league, then they should all at least theoretically have a chance at winning.

It shouldn't be about if we think Utah can beat them -- if they're all playing for the same championship, then Utah should be given a chance to compete.

Or Boise State, or Hawaii, etc.

you take the best non BCS team the last 5 years either Boise State, Hawaii, Utah, etc and they wouldnt finish in the top half of the Big 12 or SEC, they just dont have the horses....if they want to play for a national title they need to schedule better teams out of conference and beat them, but beating up on Nevada doesnt get you in the national title game

The BCS is going to have some great games this year, could look something like this...

National Title Game

Florida vs OU or Texa$.....which either would be the best NC game in years IMHO

Rose Bowl

Penn State vs Oregon State (LOL @ U$C if they dont win their crummy conference)

Sugar Bowl

Alabama vs U$C

Fiesta Bowl

Texa$ or OU vs Utah

Orange Bowl

ACC champion vs Big East champion.....something like Georgia Tech vs Cincy

But how fun would a 10 team playoff be? Give the top 6 teams (BCS conference champions) byes

and then the other four teams play two games reducing the field to 8 teams and then you have seven games over the course of 3-4 weeks to determine a national title....a final 4 of Florida, Texa$, OU, U$C....I mean who doesnt want that?

I use to be very anti playoff, I use to think something that was great about college football was you didnt have a cinderella, the team that won the NC was a team that was good all year long, not a team that just got hot late in the year (like the Giants in the NFL last year), but now there is just so much gray area when it comes to college football that they need a playoff, no more than 8-10 teams though but thats just my opinion

I use to be very anti playoff, I use to think something that was great about college football was you didnt have a cinderella, the team that won the NC was a team that was good all year long, not a team that just got hot late in the year (like the Giants in the NFL last year), but now there is just so much gray area when it comes to college football that they need a playoff, no more than 8-10 teams though but thats just my opinion

I just don't think that is likely most of the time. Let's compare hoops. I, personally, think hoops is much more likely to provide Cinderella stories because one player getting hot in one game can determine an outcome. Even still, the Cinderella stories happen in Sweet 16 and earlier in almost every case (except George Mason). If you have a 10 team playoff, that's not really even a Cinderella. What would the equivalent be in hoops? Syracuse beating Kansas? I mean that was cool, but sacrifice the weight of the entire regular season cool? Not to me! No, what makes the hoops tournament cool is the 12 vs. 5 match-ups. That's Cinderella! An 8 beating a 1... not so much. At least not enough to make me go without the coolness of early season game s like USC vs. OSU or UT vs. OU. No, to me, a football playoff is a classic example of careful what you wish for.

you take the best non BCS team the last 5 years either Boise State, Hawaii, Utah, etc and they wouldnt finish in the top half of the Big 12 or SEC, they just dont have the horses....if they want to play for a national title they need to schedule better teams out of conference and beat them, but beating up on Nevada doesnt get you in the national title game

Sure, but again, why even pretend like they're competing for the same title then? Whether or not they're actually as good as anyone else is completely beside the point. It's just a stupid system that doesn't allow most of the teams even the chance to compete. Either create a system where every team at least has a chance, or put them in a separate league.

To be fair to Utah, when they scheduled this year's game against Michigan a couple years back, it probably was an attempt at scheduling a tough non-conference game. Not really their fault that the program reached it's lowest point this year.

Sure, but again, why even pretend like they're competing for the same title then? Whether or not they're actually as good as anyone else is completely beside the point. It's just a stupid system that doesn't allow most of the teams even the chance to compete. Either create a system where every team at least has a chance, or put them in a separate league.

To be fair to Utah, when they scheduled this year's game against Michigan a couple years back, it probably was an attempt at scheduling a tough non-conference game. Not really their fault that the program reached it's lowest point this year.

No it wasnt Utah's fault Meatchicken sucked this year but why stop there, I mean maybe Utah should have schedule 2-3 more traditional powers? I mean there are programs that actually play BC$ teams every week not just once or twice a year, if a program like Utah or Boise wants to get serious about contending for a national title the only way will be to schedule 3-4 big time programs a year, win those games, and hope they have a hell of a season....people are quick to say Utah scheduled Meatchicken, yes but they also played Weber State and Utah State, the Utes are a solid team probably top 10 and deserving of a BC$ game but national title game? Cmon, would they finish in the top half of the Big 12 or SEC?

When someone insists on inserting $ signs into the names of certain teams, I tend to tune out their entire posts. It's really hard to take that shit seriously.

I apologize for upsetting you, I will try to contain myself from being sad about you tuning out my posts :angry

Im shocked you and the Cock fan have never seen that before, you both seem like big college sports fans, I wish I could take credit for the $ but its bigger than I am, you must not post on college sports boards but to each their own I guess, the horns and trojans have the best money, which earns them the $, in college football you need the bling bling, the Miami Hurricane$ use to get the $ as well as F$U

Texas Tech will skull fuck Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl

Tech fans should put on their throwback Barry Sanders Okie State jersey, the Cowboys have a great shot on Saturday which would put Tech in the Big 12 title game....if they beat Baylor at home, going out on a limb I like their chances

I apologize for upsetting you

the horns and trojans have the best money, which earns them the $

You don't upset me in the least. I just skip most of your posts (in this thread, anyway).

Yes, they've got boatloads of money. We get it. But your continued use of $ symbols says a lot more about you than it does about them.

I apologize for upsetting you, I will try to contain myself from being sad about you tuning out my posts :angry

Im shocked you and the Cock fan have never seen that before, you must not post on sports boards but to each their own I guess, the horns and trojans have the best money, which earns them the $, in college football you need the bling bling

I post on a couple of sports boards and have never seen anyone use a $. Must be a Texas thing.