• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you are saying is that every Wolverine should hold a grudge against South Carolina? Man I miss Coop.

No, Michigan did it to themselves. If they would have simply dropped a game here and there, it would have been enough to give Coop Coach-for-Life status. As it was, you guys went like 30-0 against us during his ten years there. (at least that's what it felt like) Being an OSU fan/student in the 90s was enough to give me a permanent case of indigestion whenever I see those winged helmets (I think I am allergic to "maize", too).

Basil, I hope you make it through 2011 with the winning streak intact, but while I heartily encourage you to be outwardly cocky about it towards folks Up North, deep down, don't ever take those wins for granted. Because I could tell you some horror stories. Which is, of course, what makes this rivalry great. I don't even care what Michigan's record is this year. Have they beaten anybody? I honestly can't remember who right now. But this is a rivalry where the underdog usually has the upper hand, anyway.

The rest of the country won't be tuning in as keenly this year, but who cares? This is still OSU/Michagan and my pulse just kicked up a few notches. I hope my Bucks stay focused this week, because it would suck to go through the offseason as the only team in America not allowed to laugh at Michigan's shitty, shitty, crapfest of a season. :wave

Let the smack-talk begin.

Oh, and Basil, you're right--this should be the official sig line of the week:

Because I couldn't go for three.
I honestly can't remember who right now. But this is a rivalry where the underdog usually has the upper hand, anyway.

Miami (OH), Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I wouldn't say the underdog usually has the upperhand, but yeah, there have definitely been more than a few cases of the worse team saving their season by winning that game. That being said, I don't know when the last time was that either of them was as bad as Michigan this year. I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to watch them, but however bad you think they are, they're actually much worse. Neither of their quarterbacks have any business starting in a Division I program, let alone a traditional powerhouse. If Minnesota's secondary didn't have butterfingers, that game wouldn't have turned out as it did -- they dropped at least 4 throws that looked like Sheridan was trying to throw an interception. Yesterday's loss to the mighty Wildcats of Northwestern would have been much worse if not for the same problem. The defense has sort of gotten it together in the last couple weeks (at least against Minnesota), but the offensive situation is way worse than you're probably imagining. Two awful quarterbacks, a weak receiving corp, a talented but very young offensive line, about half of which isn't really ready to start yet, and a talented group of running backs who are pretty much all hurt right now because of said offensive line. It's really bad.

Breaking news from the Big 10 Office, this week's Michigan - Ohio State game is cancelled as Michigan is not going to be able to travel to Columbus. Apparently the Wolverines can't get past Toledo.

Now, that I beat all the Buckeyes to the punch

Go Blue!!! Beat the Buckeyes!!!

Basil, I hope you make it through 2011 with the winning streak intact, but while I heartily encourage you to be outwardly cocky about it towards folks Up North, deep down, don't ever take those wins for granted. Because I could tell you some horror stories. Which is, of course, what makes this rivalry great. I don't even care what Michigan's record is this year. Have they beaten anybody? I honestly can't remember who right now. But this is a rivalry where the underdog usually has the upper hand, anyway.

Well, it's more like I'm scared enough about this game that I would rather embrace delusion than reality. :stunned Trust me, if I was cocky about it I wouldn't be so far-fetched with my claims.

Ohio State fans should be rooting really hard for Oregon State to lose, since if Oregon State takes the automatic Rose Bowl bid, and USC gets one of those at-large bids, Ohio State may not end up in a BCS bowl.

I think the weirdest part is with the Orange Bowl this year, neither the Big East or the ACC look very good, so it doesn't really make too much sense to schedule that traditional matchup. The Big East champ will be either Cincinnati or Pitt (WVU still has an outside chance though), and the ACC champion could be pretty much anyone at this point, and both conferences don't have anyone NEAR the top 15. So I feel like this year, if any year, would be one to not follow it (like last year's VTech vs. Kansas). Pick the best out of the ACC/Big East winners, and go from there, leaving an extra one out there for an at-large.

This Saturday, when Beanie launches himself from the 50 yard line, soaring high over the heads of the entire Michigan team and landing neatly at the 5 yard line so he can do his trademark Beanie-hop into the end-zone, I hope he yells down to those Wolverines below, "This one's for Biakabutuka, bitches!"

This Saturday, when Beanie launches himself from the 50 yard line, soaring high over the heads of the entire Michigan team and landing neatly at the 5 yard line so he can do his trademark Beanie-hop into the end-zone, I hope he yells down to those Wolverines below, "This one's for Biakabutuka, bitches!"

With apologies to Paul Simon:

Where have you gone

Biakabutka

A lonely university

turns its eyes to ya

p1_biakabutuka_all.jpg

I think the weirdest part is with the Orange Bowl this year, neither the Big East or the ACC look very good, so it doesn't really make too much sense to schedule that traditional matchup. The Big East champ will be either Cincinnati or Pitt (WVU still has an outside chance though), and the ACC champion could be pretty much anyone at this point, and both conferences don't have anyone NEAR the top 15. So I feel like this year, if any year, would be one to not follow it (like last year's VTech vs. Kansas). Pick the best out of the ACC/Big East winners, and go from there, leaving an extra one out there for an at-large.

The Orange has the last pick this year, though. There is no way another bowl would take the Big East champion.

Rumors around that Spurrier will be retiring after this season.

Maybe he can be hired to co-coach with Rodriguez at Michigan. If one offensive genius only wins you 3 games, having two on the sidelines is bound to at least make you bowl-eligible, am I right?

Maybe he can be hired to co-coach with Rodriguez at Michigan. If one offensive genius only wins you 3 games, having two on the sidelines is bound to at least make you bowl-eligible, am I right?

God no, we already have enough coaches with funny accents.

That's okay, I think Michigan is out of Spurrier's climate range. When he made the jump to the NFL, didn't he say that Washington was as far north as he would go? In retrospect, I can't remember if he actually traveled to his team's NFC East road games or if he just coached via satellite from a golf course somewhere.

That's okay, I think Michigan is out of Spurrier's climate range. When he made the jump to the NFL, didn't he say that Washington was as far north as he would go? In retrospect, I can't remember if he actually traveled to his team's NFC East road games or if he just coached via satellite from a golf course somewhere.

Seattle is further north than Ann Arbor is.

I just read on one of the Michigan blogs that McGuffie has told the coaching staff that he is going to transfer. I hope that this is not true.

These kinds of things are never really official until a guy actually enrolls somewhere else -- players change their minds on these kinds of things all the time -- but it does seem to be a pretty credible rumor. Really sucks.

Does the mean Michigan is going to stop raiding WVU for coaches? I had a feeling he'd struggle a bit at Michigan, but this year has been a total disaster. The reason he sucked at WVU the first season wasn't because he didn't have the talent for his system, it was because he didn't have talent period. Maybe he'll get it turned around, but though I like all of you Michigan fans here, I am bitterly pulling for this to be the beginning of his Willingham-esque decline.

--Mike

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

Muschamp to take over as coach at Texas when Brown retires

Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.